GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently traded in my '08 for a new leftover '13. I told the dealer that there was about 20 months of extended warranty that could be transferred to the next owner. He convenience me to terminate it instead and get a refund. Got a check in the mail today for $24.60. Based on what I paid for it 20 months should have been worth $187.50. Tried to call the Customer Service out in Cally but I guess they close at 4:00. Anybody else had any experience with this and know how they calculate the refund??

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
That was just plain stupid on the part of your dealer.

Considering the previous solo board sponsor use to sell the 4 years for $400 (at a profit) - sounds like you got a cut of the wholesale price back - not normal retail. Hopefully you claimed something on your warranty. Mine more than paid for itself (and I paid a bit more through my local dealer) as I had several things replaced and fixed under my warranty.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Will be interesting to hear what Honda customer service has to say, to me it sounds like you got screwed , but then again maybe they made a mistake :shrug:

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Ron, if that dealer is one of your previous students, then go back and cancel his diploma. That was a very dumb business decision he made. The next owner could have benefited and the dealership could have used it as a point of sales item. Enjoy the new ride this weekend!

prs

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Perhaps the dealer has another warranty plan that he sells and hopes to make an even better profit on it instead of the Honda Plan. Might be interesting to have a friend go in and attempt to buy the used bike to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron, if that dealer is one of your previous students, then go back and cancel his diploma. That was a very dumb business decision he made. The next owner could have benefited and the dealership could have used it as a point of sales item. Enjoy the new ride this weekend!

prs
As a matter of fact he was. I was either Vice Principal or Principal when he graduated. He said the warranty couldn't go from me to them to another buyer. Gonna try to call to get the scoop. Was in your neck-o-the woods last week. Was with a friend who was on a 1200 Wing and his clutch went out but we managed to limp back home.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like he screwed the next owner. Am I correct that one cannot buy a "new" extended warranty for a used 1800 unless there's already an existing one to extend? Otherwise, I would have bought one for mine.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Sounds like he screwed the next owner. Am I correct that one cannot buy a "new" extended warranty for a used 1800 unless there's already an existing one to extend? Otherwise, I would have bought one for mine.
You can buy a 4 year ext warranty on a used bike, as long as the used bike is within the original 3 year warranty period, after that your out of luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
You can buy a 4 year ext warranty on a used bike, as long as the used bike is within the original 3 year warranty period, after that your out of luck
Based on the first two sentences of the thread, I think I'm still correct.

"Recently traded in my '08 for a new leftover '13. I told the dealer that there was about 20 months of extended warranty that could be transferred to the next owner." No more warranty, outside the original 3 year period. The next owner is SOL.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what Customer Service told me: Not only do they prorate what's left; (I had it figured right at about $187.50); but they also subtract off a $25 cancellation fee; and finally they subtract off what the dealer charged for any parts/labor for anything you had done using the extended warranty. I had a fork seal repaired. Therefore I had $24.60 left. I told the gentleman that I appreciated the info but the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Honda used to, if not still, promote the extended warranty as being transferrable. It is a shame if trading in through a Honda dealer thwarts that provision.

Ron, I have ridden without clutch on bikes with cable clutches. Its no fun at intersections or stopped traffic.

prs

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Probably to late now but I'd be raising a little hell with your dealer and his very foolish advice

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda used to, if not still, promote the extended warranty as being transferrable. It is a shame if trading in through a Honda dealer thwarts that provision.

Ron, I have ridden without clutch on bikes with cable clutches. Its no fun at intersections or stopped traffic.

prs
Yeah, he was looking at possible places to ditch it at every stop light.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably to late now but I'd be raising a little hell with your dealer and his very foolish advice
I guess I could but life's short and besides he didn't know how mother Honda calculated the refund.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts