GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the road the other day and had a couple hours to kill, so I stopped at a Honda dealer.
He had one '07 1800 on the floor (sold), and a few used '01's and '02's.
I pick his brain for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour on how much he know about the air bag and the '07 in general.
He offord me out-the-door price/plus tax on the '07 air bag model.

Now what I thought was funny was he added that price was good for 24 hours only.

Anyone ever heard of doing business like this before?

Cheers !

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, It's called take it or leave it.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Yes, it means you can't come back a month later and expect the same price, which is only fair. They do, however, try to get people to impulse buy. Odds are you can get the same price later if try.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The price quoted should be good anytime. He's obviously worried you can find a better deal elsewhere (which he probably knows is true), and has limited your time to do so.

Not someone I would want to deal with.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I dont ever buy anything on a pressure sale. If a dealer can quote a price once, it should be good anytime. Its the presure sales pitches that get most people over there head financially.

John

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Always ask for a written quote with a reasonable expiration date. Have them spell out the details. Is it good on just that bike, or is it good on any equivalent machine.

Then when you get the quote, shop around and get your best price.

Also, take a little time and check out the service department. If you wouldn't trust your bike to the service manager, you shouldn't buy there.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That pressure of "you must buy it today" sounds very familiar to what I have experienced listening to time share presentations where they offer you all these special deals, extra week, cameras, tickets to Sea World and similar places, etc., etc.

You know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Todd

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's a variation of the "impending event sale". EG: Next week my rent goes up so I can't offer you the same deal next week.

He may have had and event pending that he didn't want you to know about like he had to make an interest payment on the bike in another day if it wasn't sold and his interest rates may be going up.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
There is at least one bonafide reason for a dealer to do that.

He might have received the bike from another dealer at lower-than-normal-cost or the manufacturer might have sweetened his rebate/discount to move the bike (could be a color or option issue or summat).

That would make it a one-bike deal but not explain why he would honor that quote for only 24 hours.

I think I'd do my research first then visit dealers. Impulse buys are usually not the best idea.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd tell him I'd have to think about it, and get back to him in 25 hours. :wink:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Now what I thought was funny was he added that price was good for 24 hours only.
Anyone ever heard of doing business like this before?
He wants to see if your a "buyer" or "talker"! If he "baited" you with a hot price to see if you were serious and would know a good deal, he was trying to close the deal!
Car buyers buy within 48 hours...dealers know they have to sell you now, before you leave...the odds of you coming back are very low!!!
If he was just tossing around his standard MSRP price and trying to scare you into a deal ....his loss

JU

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It could be that he is quoting you a price and so you won't go and take that price to other dealers and try to get them to go lower, he is putting a limit on it. If it is a good price get it, if not, chances are he will sell the bike anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Yes, I've had dealers do that before, I don't care for it. He probably knows you can do $100 better and doesn't want you to find out for yourself.

Whenever I shop for a big ticket item, I always do research before going. This way I know what I'm willing to pay before I ever leave the house. I don't care what anyone else paid, I'm only concerned what I'm willing to pay.

If it's worth $$$ to me, then what do I care what you paid?

My point is this, if you thought it was a good deal, and you could afford it, and it's what you wanted, buy it. Forget what anyone else thinks about it.

Hint: Any Wing research should start here:
1-888-693-1011

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It's just a sales tactic, one of many questionable strategies used to motivate a knee jerk reaction and make the sale. :evil:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Rastoff said:
Yes, I've had dealers do that before, I don't care for it.
I dont like this either!!! I like to ask why??? have yet to get an answer that made sense !!! I ALLWAYS tell them I need at least 24 hours to check my finances!!!...chuck..............[quote:1yxi6cve]He probably knows you can do $100 better and doesn't want you to find out for yourself.
Whenever I shop for a big ticket item, I always do research before going. This way I know what I'm willing to pay before I ever leave the house. I don't care what anyone else paid, I'm only concerned what I'm willing to pay.

If it's worth $$$ to me, then what do I care what you paid?

My point is this, if you thought it was a good deal, and you could afford it, and it's what you wanted, buy it. Forget what anyone else thinks about it.

Hint: Any Wing research should start here:
1-888-693-1011[/quote:1yxi6cve]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a sales tactic but it could also be the dealers way of protecting himself if he only has one unit in stock.

You really don't expect the price to be good forever do you?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts