GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I now know I might be getting a little older. Saturday we returned from a 5 state, 2540 mile run. I still feel like I'm walking around in a daze. We pushed some miles, 600 the first day. I don't like doing that, but there is always one in the group who feels like a super human. Man, he will stay home next time. Anyway. The Goldwing is got to be a head of its time, what a machine. None like it on the road. I do have to admit I don't like the saddle much. Looking for a better one.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ahem....

Larry / John -
Not to be picky, but without some basis of time included, a 2,500 mile trip don't sound like much of a challenge?
Was it over a week? Two? A day and a half?
I've ridden that far before (actually, farther), but it was over an eight-day riding period (we were in no hurry at all).
See how identifying the time period can make a difference?

No disagreement though that the Wing is a great ride.
Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yo ....... Bill

Liking the Wing are we. A bit more comfortable on those long hauls than the X? 3 weeks after taking delivery of mine did a 10 day 4k cross country ride & their still trying to knock the silly a$$ grin off my face!

Still got your receiver hitch cover. You be at the X get together in "07"? Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be passing through Denver over the 4th.

Steve

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
600 miles is like a walk in the park, check out some new seats. Tim

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very much.

Liking the Wing very much. Very different from the X (which, when equipped correctly was a great highway bike), but great just the same. Still selling X hitch covers, but for no profit. Mother Honda would not grant me use of their trademarked image. So I'm just trying to clean out inventory to get my $$ back. I did a version of the GWRRA logo (in navy blue) as well - and GWRRA would not grant me use of their logo either. Bastids!
Don't know about the X ride this coming July. Last July, SO and I were Wing'n it to and from Vegas (see yesterday's post about good rides in Utah). I'm thinking of a two-week ride from Denver, east, through up-state NY and then over the great lakes. That'd be fun. Plus, since Hermit doesn't come up from Florida anymore, it ain't as much fun. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have to confess that I've yet to make a multi-day run on a Wing, more than a day there and a day back, that is. I have done nearly 700 miles in one day, and I felt like I could easily have done 200 more. And that's on the stock seat, with no back rest.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
LarryJohn, looks like Holly and I will not be riding with you then. Some of us are short on the time we can take off business. That is why we some times find the need to push the miles when we have some distance to go or get back home. 600 miles is not a problem when you have your bike setup for you. Glad to here you had a good trip.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
For me it wasn't needing a new seat as much as needing the Utiopia back rest, REG Handlebar Risers, and new pegs (I'm 5' 10")...600 smiles...no problem.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Took two weeks off this summer and logged 6500 miles... close to 1000 the first day. Man I was one whipped puppy after that 1000 miles... not from the bike but it's a hard ride all day when the temp doesn't get below 100.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts