GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently upgraded to the 2610 - works great! Use MapSource City Navigator to identify maps, create routes and waypoints and transfer them to the 2610 via USB. But, when I transfer them to a Compact Flash in the card reader, only the maps are identified as transferable. And even then, when I put the CF in the 2610, the 2610 does not recognize the maps. Basically, unless I transfer directly to-from the 2610, certain data (routes, waypoints, tracks) do not transfer. What am I doing wrong?

S

·
0 Posts
I could be wrong as I am not that aware of the full operation of the 2610 but if it anything like the SPIII you will need to download your route and maps and anything else via the serial port. Only certain data will pass through the USB port. I have the same trouble but have gotten used to it. Be sure to set your serial ports data rate to the highest possible rate so it will transfer the data faster.

Hope this helps.
:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the 2610, I have full transfer capability via the USB going to and from the City Navigator. That works fine. Its trying to save waypoints, routes, etc from City Navigator to a compact flash card (in the card reader) for use in the 2610. All I can save are the maps (won't even let me select waypoints or routes), and even then, when I put the compact flash in the 2610, it won't recognise them. I thought you were suppose to be able to do that to spead up the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The card reader used with the Street Pilot III was to speed up map load while waypoints were sent via the slower serial port.

With the 2610 all information (maps, waypoints, etc) transfer via USB. No need for a card reader anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Toisich:

I would suggest that you contact Garmin, if the system is not capable of a full data transfer via a CF card reader now Garmin may be able to write a fix to allow the function and make it available in the near future.

It sounds like a function that should be there and work.

-David

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a question about the CF cards in the 2610. I assume that you can upload maps, waypoints, etc to the Compact Flash Card, take it out and do another CF card for a different area. That way you could swap cards depending on where you are.

Am I correct? Since the cards have dropped in price this would be great.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BC,

As I found out....no. The only thing you can "download" to the CF in a reader are maps. Waypoints and routes won't download through the reader.

As just pointed out, everything goes from the computer to the 2610 via USB. Now, once you've downloaded maps, routes, and waypoints for an area to the 2610, you can remove that CF and insert another to again download maps, routes, and waypoints for another area.

I'm using a 512 CF and haven't even come close to filling it up and I've loaded a heck of a lot of maps for the east coast.

Good luck.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts