GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to carelessness on my part, my Garmin 2610 took a tumble, and although it works just fine, there is cosmetic scratches on the front facade (but not the screen). I have leveled most of the damage using progressively finer sandpaper, and it looks OK, but I want to do better.

My plan is to paint the frant facade, but would like to do this without having to mask the screen and buttons.

I have split the case, looked inside, got scared, and put it back together.

Can someone with experience (Jon, Betthe?) tell me if it is possible to separate the screen and buttons from the front facade without having to deal with springs, soldering cables, etc. so I can just deal with the plastic front?

Cross posted to the electronics board.

Any pics would be terrific!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, but that's a lot of work. Do you want a replacement front bezel assembly? You could have the one from my 'demo' dummy 2610 if you want.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ken,

I had one pretty much gutted, but never took the sreen out. Don't think it would have been much more work/time to remove the screen, but I had no reason to. Keep in mind, mine was already dead when I did this, so I had nothing to loose. When I put it back together, it took me two tries to get the ribbon cables properly connected. Still wouldn't finish booting, so I guess the processor was bad.

If you decide to go through with it, might want to take Jon up on his offer.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I would not paint the case. Although we don't think the cases on our portable devices take much abuse, they really do. In a very short time, the painted case will have paint scraped off and rubbed off, and it will look worse than before it was painted.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
My recent experience with painting plastic was not encouraging. I took an old black radio knob and made the short key for the gas door. Went to Walmart and got a can of spray paint made especially for plastic, painted my little key knob, looked nice, for two days. Took only two days for the paint to scratch and wear and show black through the paint.

Have tried it before also, and always the paint gets scratched, or wears, makes a mess actually. Thought the little knob would be ok, even put on three coats , does not mater, it just wears off very quickly.

Kit

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but that's a lot of work. Do you want a replacement front bezel assembly? You could have the one from my 'demo' dummy 2610 if you want.
I would take you up on your offer, and of course pay for it and any shipping charges, if you were able to tell me that I (with virtually zero electrical experience) could replace it.

I hear and am going to follow others advice about the painting; e.g. not paint it. So the question is, how hard is it to just replace the front bezel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And just as an additional note, one must be SURE not only that the Garmin mount retaining screw is tightened, but also, that the tab on the mount fully engages the notch on the unit...and if you ask me, I WILL tell you how I know! :)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
If you question your ability to do this and could do without it for a week or so, you could send it to me and I'll do it for you.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I keep the little tip in one of my rear pockets. When I install the unit I hand tight the screw. Still need to untighten to remove but so does someone trying to steal it. Since it can't loosen, it can't fall off. I hope.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you question your ability to do this and could do without it for a week or so, you could send it to me and I'll do it for you.
Only if you promise not to laugh at the job I did so far trying to sand and polish the scratches out of the bezel :)

Actually, I would really appreciate that!!!!!

Could you send me an email (not PM) with charges and your address and phone # ?

[email protected]

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts