GL1800Riders Forums banner

2610 (Help)

759 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  betthe 
#1 ·
I've had the Garmin MC hookup with Jon's dash mount for about a year. My audio plug (male / female) kept coming loose behind the dash. So I cut the cables, removing the little "Y" thing where the power to the gps and audio splits. I had planned on just hooking it direct. I got the power back to the gps but not the audio. Does anyone know how those wires would be configured? I don't know if that little "Y" junction thing needs to be in there or not. TIA.

#2 ·
The audio output from the proprietary GPS plug on the Garmin M/C only connects to the the audio output jack on the pigtail - the audio wires do not extend to the 'working end'.

You might be able to cut the jacket open at the splice and connect the other two wires that go to the working end (make sure you cut them to isolate them from the GPS end) to the audio output wires that went to the pigtail.

The StreetPilot audio output pigtail cable is one of Garmin's cheesiest products...

#3 ·
Thanks Jon,
I've tried every wiring configuration you can think of and nothing gets me sound. I've blown a lot of fuses. I'll probably just wait on the Kennedy hook up I ordered from you last night.

#4 ·
I cut apart the molded Y section of the cord and re-attached the audio wires so the come out at the end of the cable. I think it was a white and brown pair. It was like microsurgery. Sealed the thing up with heat shrink and it's worked fine. If I had to do it again I would just cut the cable off above and below the Y and splice all 4 wires....again sealing it with heat shrink tubing.

#5 ·
Lucky 777,
Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly what I did. Cut the little "Y" or junction thingy out. I've got four wires on each side of the GPS connection (Red, White, Brown, Black). I hooked all for of these up and got power to the unit.

The audio wire has (Red, White and a naked wire I assume is ground). Any configuration I put these in doesn't get me sound. ???

#6 ·

I think red is power with black ground. Audio is brown with white ground.

If your 2610 is like mine you only need to hook up the red/black to get power. The audio then comes downstream on the brown. If you're using the aux for the audio you don't need to use the white audio ground.

Hope you get it worked out.

#7 ·
Thanks Tallsilver but I guess I found out why I don't have any sound. When I started this project I must have turned Lola into a bleached blond. :lol: I must have put two wires together that I shouldn't have and fried her brain. Hooked it into the 12V speaker car adapter, no sound. Maps still work good. I looked for a reset in the manual, none. My SO, a blond, bless her heart and I love her, told me to go ahead and get (order) one of my Christmas presents. A 2720. Life is good.

#8 ·
RedStreak said:
Hooked it into the 12V speaker car adapter, no sound. Maps still work good. I looked for a reset in the manual, none.
Ken,
One last thing. Check to make sure sound didn't get turned off in your 2610.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.