GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word yet on the hookup to allow the 2610 to work through the intercom?
Also, because of the speaker on the cigarette plug (it will take up a bit of room), where is the best place to install a power plug on the bike?
mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I probably answered one of my own questions.
I think the best power source would be to get a second cable, remove the speaker and wire it in "hot".
Has anyone found a source for the power cable (besides Garmin @ 45.00)?

Thanks for any advice.

mike

·
Registered
569 Posts

Garmin is supposed to have a motorcycle kit as well as a cable to wire direct in process. Kennedy Tech is also working on a 2610 version of their GPS set. Both should be available soon I hear.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Stapler,

Wait for the Kennedy cell set. Jon has promised us some time this week or next, that he will have them available for sale. He requested that we Email him, and put 2610 in the subject.

With the Kennedy cellset, you get rid of the speaker in the pocket completely. Audio will come over the headset and power is hooked up direct plug and play unless you request the European harness.

I am waiting for mine as well.

Bulldog

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's fairly simple to wire the 2610. I disassembled the 2610 power/speaker cord, wired the power directly to the battery, because I wanted the GPS to stay on when I turned the key off. For the audio, I wired a small audio jack from Radio Shack and plugged in the GPS connection on my Kennedy CellSet.

It's just two wires for the power and two wires for the audio.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Fuzzy,

Here we go, "as I know it". First off, we have to know the distinction between the Garmin SP III and the 2610. The SP III works on the bike or auto with a 12V hook up, and it has battery backup, so that you can leave the GPS on, when the ignition is turned off. This way, with the GPS on full time during your trip, you can log all your times. Riding, break etc. When you get home, you can look at your ride via the GPS and see the duration of ride time and break time etc. Also, with the battery backup, you can take your GPS into your hotel room, and modify the next days route etc.

On the other hand, the 2610 does not include battery backup. So when you shut your key off, the GPS shuts off as well. For me this is not a problem, as I really am not concerned about ride / stop time. Kennedy has two kinds of harness' for the 2610 as Jon/Kennedy has indicated. The European harness allows for a "HOT" hook up, so that you can continue to manipulate the GPS when the ignition is off.

For the "HOT" hook up, I would not go directly to the battery. Rather, I would hook the harness to the "Electrical Connections Power Block". I am not a big fan of unfused, direct connections to the battery.

I too, am waiting for Kennedy to release the Harness for the 2610. I would imagine that would be either this week or next.

If you are using an SP III, Kennedy already has the plug & Play harness and it works really well and is a snap to install.

If I have confused you further, I apologize. If I have helped clear this up a bit for you, than I am a happy camper.

Bulldog

·
Registered
35 Posts
darmes said:
It's fairly simple to wire the 2610. I disassembled the 2610 power/speaker cord, wired the power directly to the battery, because I wanted the GPS to stay on when I turned the key off. For the audio, I wired a small audio jack from Radio Shack and plugged in the GPS connection on my Kennedy CellSet.

It's just two wires for the power and two wires for the audio.
Same set up for me. I added a fuse in the power line (1 amp) to protect the GPS. Nice part is that you can turn on the GPS when you start to get ready to leave, giving it time to acquire the sats before I get on and start the bike. Simple install without waiting for anything.

Dick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garmin SP 2610 Hookup

Hey Bulldog. Thanks for the info.... be a happy camper. I just got my 2610 and I'm waiting for Kennedy to release their product. Just one question: Will this only work through headsets or will it also work through the bike's speaker system if you don't have the headsets in your helmets? Also, (ok, two questions) I have seen several ways to attached the 2610 to the bike. Is it really a good idea to use Cycle Gadgets or other similar handlebar mounts? There's always a degree of vibration in the handlebars and I would think rider control is compromised by adding that kind of weight to one side of the handlebars. I saw a bracket that mounts over the top of the dashbaord and is developed and distributed by V&P's Accessories at http://vpaccessories.com/1800.htm It looks pretty slick and places the GPS directly in front of the operator instead of to one side like the handlebar mounts do. I'd be interested in any input from anyone who has considered or used either of these mounts or anything like them. :rw1:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Garmin SP 2610 Hookup

fchampneys said:
I saw a bracket that mounts over the top of the dashbaord and is developed and distributed by V&P's Accessories at http://vpaccessories.com/1800.htm It looks pretty slick and places the GPS directly in front of the operator instead of to one side like the handlebar mounts do. I'd be interested in any input from anyone who has considered or used either of these mounts or anything like them. :rw1:
I have been very happy with my VP mount for my GPS V... and plan on getting another for my new (used) SPIII when I get home.

I think the center dash location is the best there is!

·
Registered
83 Posts
This dash mount looks like a great location, but it is "sturdy" or "solid", i.e., not prone to working itself loose after a while? How does it attach to the dash? How hard is it to remove (for security) and replace the GPS? How did you run the cables?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Pelican,

The VP mount, is wedged between the plastic on top, and then is stuck down with 2 sided tape.

Bulldog

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm ... thanks.
Doesn't sound all that sturdy :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts