GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my warrenty ran out I started having problems with my screen. Travelling with it either on bike or in the car, the screen would go crazy shaking and clicking in the headset. I could either turn it off and back on or sometimes making circles on the screen with my finger would stop it. I called Garmin and they said if I would send the unit to them with $225 they would check it out. I thought it may be the heat but in the car I put a A/C vent on it and it still would do it at times. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Garmin

You are kidding about them asking you to send $225 right?

That hardly seems right from a company who seems to bend over backwards to do the right thing...........

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The key here is that the warranty had expired...

Garmin has a fixed-price repair program, so whether it's a broken solder joint or a cracked display, it's the same price.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Garmin

FRISKY said:
You are kidding about them asking you to send $225 right?

That hardly seems right from a company who seems to bend over backwards to do the right thing...........
Nope. Not kidding. $225 fix it or not. Same price. One year warrenty and it started right after warrenty expired. I've tried it all. Disabled remote, put tape over sensor, deleted a boat load of way points. Nothing helped. I read where most all 2610's will do this sooner or later. You would think Garmin would get a handle on this.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, guess my question is answered. Went to Garmin site and 2610 has been dis-continued. That's peachey. Does anyone know if there are any models that are not pre-loaded that is compatible with the 2610 wiring? Just got it all wired up just over a year ago. Recently put Jon's 2610 mount on bike.

I like Mapquest on the computer to plot my routes. Is Mapquest workable with the pre-loaded units?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm being told on the GPS forum site that I probably have dust behind the touch screen. For the GPS people in the know, does that sound right? I thought these things were water proof. I would say that's dust proof also.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
RedStreak said:
After my warrenty ran out I started having problems with my screen. Travelling with it either on bike or in the car, the screen would go crazy shaking and clicking in the headset. I could either turn it off and back on or sometimes making circles on the screen with my finger would stop it. I called Garmin and they said if I would send the unit to them with $225 they would check it out. I thought it may be the heat but in the car I put a A/C vent on it and it still would do it at times. Anyone else have this problem?
RedStreak,
I had/have that prob with my 2610. A couple of suggestions were that the aftermarket memory card may be causing the prob or that there was interference from the infrared remote sensor.

I have since replaced the mem card (diff brand) and have taped over the remote sensor and that seems to have solved the prob.

Earlier versions of the Roady XM sat radios were causing other interference and I have found that my Serius sat radio currently does cause some interference.

Those are some areas for you to look for your prob. My 2610 currently is performing great w/o spending the $225 that Garmin wants for repairs. :wink:

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts