GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a little late with this service, but from previous experience with the wing, I wasn't too concerned. As it turned out, all of my valves were in center spec save one exhaust valve was at .005" which is still in spec and to the loose side. I'll probably run another 50k before I check them again. The plugs still looked great but I installed new ones. Now, it is a different story for the air filter. 26k was probably a little too far.
On another note, I've been frustrated with the iPhone pocket letting my iPhone overheat on warm days. I have tried giving the foam pocket a few breather holes, but that made little if any difference. So, while I had the top shelter off I made a Ram induction system for the phone compartment. It works awesome, but I won't actually know if it solves all of my issues until our Phoenix summer arrives. Below are a few pics of what I did.

Attachments

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm a little late with this service, but from previous experience with the wing, I wasn't too concerned. As it turned out, all of my valves were in center spec save one exhaust valve was at .005" which is still in spec and to the loose side. I'll probably run another 50k before I check them again. The plugs still looked great but I installed new ones. Now, it is a different story for the air filter. 26k was probably a little too far.
On another note, I've been frustrated with the iPhone pocket letting my iPhone overheat on warm days. I have tried giving the foam pocket a few breather holes, but that made little if any difference. So, while I had the top shelter off I made a Ram induction system for the phone compartment. It works awesome, but I won't actually know if it solves all of my issues until our Phoenix summer arrives. Below are a few pics of what I did.
Any pix of the old air filter?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nice work getting fresh air to a hot area on the bike! Especially in your part of the world.

You considered how to keep bugs and rain from being an issue? I would think a small scale wire screen would help on the bugs to some extent, but would just make the pieces smaller.

Rain if you use some kind of large density foam, it would block the bugs and rain to some extent and still allow enough air to keep the temps to a manageable level.

??????

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work getting fresh air to a hot area on the bike! Especially in your part of the world.

You considered how to keep bugs and rain from being an issue? I would think a small scale wire screen would help on the bugs to some extent, but would just make the pieces smaller.

Rain if you use some kind of large density foam, it would block the bugs and rain to some extent and still allow enough air to keep the temps to a manageable level.

??????
Yes I have, I sewed a round cover from black cloth to catch the bugs and dirt from entering. I also think it will allow any rain entering to just drain/drip down the cloth and drain right out of the front of the inlet. However, if in realty that doesn't work I am going to sew a water proof cover that will just stretch over the intake like the cloth one. The cover has one of the small bungee type cords encapsulated in perimeter so it can be easily put on and removed. I did a test run today and the phone stayed way cooler than when I was using it before. I've noticed they get hot even on cool days. Honda insulated that compartment pretty well and Just the normal heat of the phone has no way to escape. I removed a secondary rubber plug from the inside top of the pocket that allows my incoming air to be able to push out the hot air inside. With the cover on, it looks like the front of an old style radar but being black blends well with the inner panels.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
I've had my iPod shut off about 4 times last summer from the heat in the phone pocket...thanks for sharing the idea.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On another note, this idea will probably no longer work when the outdoor temps are above the iPhone operating limits. However, I was constantly having my phone shut down when it was only in the mid 80's. I should now be good to at least 96 degrees f, possibly even to 113 degrees.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Howzabout just figuring out a way to prop the compartment open slightly? 1/2"-1" maybe. Should allow enough air to blow in there.

I haven't looked into this because I haven't had a problem. Possibly because I haven't been using my phone that way.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howzabout just figuring out a way to prop the compartment open slightly? 1/2"-1" maybe. Should allow enough air to blow in there.

I haven't looked into this because I haven't had a problem. Possibly because I haven't been using my phone that way.

Just a thought.
If I did that, my drinking cup would scrape the heck out of the cover every time I moved the bars to the right. While riding, I wouldn't want my receipts etc blowing out either.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is anyone using the foam heat trap for the phone? The one time my phone shut down, was when it was in the foam sleeve.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Why the big difference on the air filters from the 1832's. Mine stays pretty clean for about 30,000 miles.
I wonder that too. With about 34,000 on mine now, I plan to change it soon, but not expecting to see anything horrible when I do. Our car air filters are changed about every 24,000-30,000 miles. Air filters have about 10 times more CFM flow capability than the motor will ever require, even at WOT. So, there would not be a flow problem till the filter is about 90 percent clogged. Hopefully none of us wait the long, but 10-20 percent clogged is not a big deal.

Some here say the filter loses its filtering ability as 'dirst' chomps its way through the filter material, to allow unfiltered air into the intake. But I have never seen anything empirical to support that contention.

Changing the filter often if living in a dust bowl, high smog area, or other adverse condition, may be necessary, but I do not believe any of that applies to me. Some industrial vehicles have a visual air filter indicator that pops red when the CFM flow becomes too restricted. Of course none of the above applies if a vehicle, of any kind, has been exposed to rodents, a flood, or other abuse. I like the idea of snaking a scope into the ai filter chamber to eyeball the filter, as someone posted here not long ago. That may be a good idea with every 8,000 mile oil change. At any rate, I am soon gonna find out what mine looks like, and will post pix here.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i just open the door for a while on long hot ride days and have never had an issue. very clever though! nice job

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
Why the big difference on the air filters from the 1832's. Mine stays pretty clean for about 30,000 miles.
Its got to be where you live that makes a difference. I've changed quite a few air filters on different wings around here when I was involved with the GWRRA and where I live and at 16K miles all the Gold Wing air filters I've changed looked not much different than the new one. I change my air filter at 30K miles and the filters still look pretty clean here where I live.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Its got to be where you live that makes a difference. I've changed quite a few air filters on different wings around here when I was involved with the GWRRA and where I live and at 16K miles all the Gold Wing air filters I've changed looked not much different than the new one. I change my air filter at 30K miles and the filters still look pretty clean here where I live.
Are you talking 1833's or 1832's??

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I was talking about my experience with the old Wing, but I don't see how it will be any different with the new wing.

Some pictures/reports of 1833 filters seem to suggest the filter life will not be as good as it was on the previous generation. Hence the request for clarification.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts