GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS LOOKING ON CREGS LIST .
THERE ARE 27 GOLD WING [NO GL1800] FOR SALE.
THERE ARE 352 HARLEYS FOR SALE.
WHY ARE THER SO MANY HARLEYS FOR SALE. THEY ARE SUCH GREAT BIKES WHY WOOD ANY ONE WANT TO SELL IT.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ya think maybe there are more Harleys out there than Goldwings?

I would think there are more just Ultra Classic Harleys around than Goldwings.

I just did a quick search on Cycletrader for the western US for 2001-6 Goldwings and found 44, compared to 72 01-06 Harley Ultras.

Could have something to do with how many are available. Never saw one Zundapp for sale - they must be too good a bike....yea, sure... :lol:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
littlejoe1227 said:
WHY ARE THER SO MANY HARLEYS FOR SALE. THEY ARE SUCH GREAT BIKES WHY WOOD ANY ONE WANT TO SELL IT.
colorado only

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
littlejoe1227 said:
colorado only
Probably more Harley's in Colorado. My brother has 2 Ultra's and 1 Goldwing. If you are going to compare Harley's to Wings you should probably compare Harley touring bikes to Goldwings. Still bet there are several times more Harley touring bikes on the road than Goldwing's hence more for sale.

By the way, Think I'll keep my Wing. :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
From what I have heard about the resale value of a Harley, they are all making a profit by selling. :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
No accounting for taste I guess.

P.S. Do us a favor and take off your caps lock. It denotes yelling.

·
Registered
637 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
From what I have heard about the resale value of a Harley, they are all making a profit by selling. :wink:
Actually that used to be true...Harley's are so saturated in the market right now all the best deals can be had thru private sales. IMHO, I believe the papers are full of HD's from people who thought they wanted one and found out they didn't like to ride, were scared to ride, didn't have anyone to ride with, mamma told them to sell it, etc. Here in the summer, you can see a lot of bikes for sale less than a year old with less than 1K miles. Most all cruisers though...very few UC's.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Here in the summer, you can see a lot of bikes for sale less than a year old with less than 1K miles. Most all cruisers though...very few UC's.
I work with a guy that bought a new Sportster in '05. After riding it to work, someone teased him about riding a "girl's bike", so he went out and bought a soft tail. He rode it to work a few times, on the very nice days. Then, suddenly he buys an Ultra Classic, so he can take his wife with him more comfortably. It's been well over a year since this all started. He now owns 3 Harleys, and the one with the most miles is the soft tail. It has 2000 miles. The Sportster has less than 500, and the Ultra Classic just went in for it's 500 mile service.
Some people buy them just to have them, not necessarily to ride them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
chuckM hit the nail on the head.

About 99% of all the Harley owners I know bought the bike for the wow factor. Found out that they are not all that comfortable to ride, vibrate, tend to be more unreliable than other brands, and very expensive when compared to the Japanese V-twins. Harleys probably out number goldwings, but they don't outnumber all other brands put together. Never did an actual count, but most days in the local paper Harleys for sale are about the same total number as all other brands put together.

That says volumes about brand loyalty to me.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I think you could classify some other Harley's as Touring Bikes, such as the Electra Glide, Road Glide, Road King. By the way my Road King is for sale $12,000 I'm keeping the Goldwing.
Hazle

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
the reason is simple enough.... lots more Harleys ... than Wings...

cosmic
yep-don't need to start a bash-ride what makes you happy

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
IR Harry said:
I would think there are more just Ultra Classic Harleys around than Goldwings.
Good Point. I think Only Ultras Should Be Compared To The Goldwings.
With The Ultras Getting The New Bigger 96cc Engine (tiny :p ) & The 6
Speed Tranny, I Can Understand Folks Looking To Sell For A Better Ultra.

·
Registered
812 Posts
goldwing

Another reason might be that Harley offers so many different Big Twin bikes there is always something different to try out. You know, the grass is greener, etc. Guys with an Ultra want the style of a cruiser, guys with a softail want the comfort of a tourer, etc. When you have a Wing what is there to upgrade to? Oh sure a few guys have Wings that they don't like or it doesn't fit and try BMW or HD, but in general my opinion is once you get to a Wing you stay there. Look at the number of folks still riding 1500's and not interested in an 1800. My friends that have 'em say they are more plush and we know they have more luggage space. Simple answer is of course ride what you like, and like what you ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There may be 27 Goldwings, but that is only one model of Honda Motorcycles. You've compaired all model Harley Davidsons with one model Honda. How many Honda Motorcycles are listed?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: goldwing

Analysttom said:
Look at the number of folks still riding 1500's and not interested in an 1800. My friends that have 'em say they are more plush and we know they have more luggage space. Simple answer is of course ride what you like, and like what you ride.
I think I am going to have to buy a 1500 to experience one. I know I'd
like a plush, couch like ride over the nimble, Ninja like sports bike ride.
My wife just can't deal with their looks. She likes the 1800's looks.

Herb

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Re: goldwing

g1nomad said:
Analysttom said:
Look at the number of folks still riding 1500's and not interested in an 1800. My friends that have 'em say they are more plush and we know they have more luggage space. Simple answer is of course ride what you like, and like what you ride.
I think I am going to have to buy a 1500 to experience one. I know I'd
like a plush, couch like ride over the nimble, Ninja like sports bike ride.
My wife just can't deal with their looks. She likes the 1800's looks.

Herb
I've heard more than once that the 1500 SE is the best tourning bike ever made. The 1800 is nice but it's more on the sporty side of touring then the plush, fit as much on the bike as you can type of touring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts