GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced my 2610 with a 2720. I need a little help please!!

How do I change the tabs on the right of the screen when NOT in the routing mode? I have found how to set them up when on a route.

I like to use the Mapsource program on my laptop to plan and then transfer my routes. Will the old non-NT version work for route planning and transfering? The 2720 does use the NT version. I have purchased the lifetime updates from Garmin, so the maps are up to date. I need suggestions on route planning and transfering.

As always---thanks for your help:bow:

Dwight

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
the non NT will not work on the 2720, different type of format.

·
Registered
852 Posts
did the same (2610->2720), Milbear is correct. IIRC, once you get your maps installed into your Mapsource, uninstall all the older non-NT stuff so there is no confusion, then you should be able to plan and transfer like normal. I believe you can use old routes from the 2610, but it may give some errors (new roads, waypoints, etc.) . I just went through and re-did all mine to make sure they were correct.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tangleyes,

IMO, Milbear is incorrect when he says
the non NT will not work on the 2720, different type of format.
Waypoints and Routes are not map version dependent.

However, Milbear is basically correct when he said
I believe you can use old routes from the 2610, but it may give some errors (new roads, waypoints, etc.) .
Errors can occur when, for example, a waypoint at an intersection in CN NA 2009 may be off by 50-100 feet in the newer CN NA NT version. It has nothing to do with the compression method (which is the difference between the "old" CN NA and the "newer" CN NA NT.) This offset can produce what I call "spaghetti routing" as the GPS tries to "hit the waypoint" and then get back on the actual route. You will have to determine the correct coordinates and revise the waypoint coordinates. This is a PITA trying to do it on the GPS. See Ideally below.

Load the waypoints and Routes from CN NA and then recalc each route in the GPS running CN NA NT. I know the newer Nuvis and Zumos automatically recalc when they import Routes -- but I don't think the SP-2720 has to import. It just offers to recalculate when you attempt to run the Route.

Ideally, the computer should have the same map data version as the GPS. If you didn't load the map data to the computer when you updated the GPS, contact Garmin Tech Support 800-800-1020 and ask them how to do it "after the fact."

It is not necessary to remove the CN NA map data from the computer. Just make sure that you have the CN NA NT map data selected in MapSource before you try to create new waypoints/routes.

Good Luck...!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was able to transfer my routes from the 2009 version of Mapsource to my 2720. It is the non-NT version.

Now I just have to find out how to set up my tabs when not in the routing mode. Thanks again!

Dwight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts