GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I would of caught Jon's videos before being pulled. I am trying to debate on which one to get between the 2730, 2820, or Zumo. I know each has its advantages. I know some of the differences when you go to the Garmin site and do a product comparison. I am thinking the Zumo. I am not in need of XM radio and such now, but do want the bluetooth for the phone hookup. I have never had a GPS, but I want to be able to access all the features if I wanted. I wish we had a GPS store around here so I can talk to someone about them, versus here. I know I can do a search on them. Maybe I will later today. Just trying to figure out, other than price, why some people are getting one model and others getting another. Enough rambling on. So if their is something you need to ask before giving me a decision, just ask.

·
Registered
705 Posts
SC Steve,

I have tried the GPS store thing. Believe me most of the people here have a better handle on the GPS front than the majority of the people in the retail front.

People here have various units with various levels of experiences and personal opinions.

Everybody has a different set of wants, minimal expectations and minimal needs.

For me one of the biggest issues is Customer Support and a minimum amount of failures and returns. After a long search and watching posts here I settled on Garmin.

My only requirements were easy programming, Blue Tooth, clear screen to read in both the car and on the bike and easy intergration into the Wing audio system which is easy with a Kennedy Cell Set

I didn't care about MP3, I have a 3 seperate players for that. Could care less about XM Radio thats why I have 3 Mp3 Players.

But this my criteria, and yours and everybody elses will be different. Hard choice. Started of with an I Lowance, then looked at Tom Tom, looked at mounting devices and it goes on and on. I settles on a Garmin 2820.

Waiting until the sales after the first of the year, hopefully prices will come down to what I am willing to pay for a non critical need

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There's a lot of little differences between these units, but the basics are pretty much the same. How you search an address, find a POI, etc are pretty much the same on all those units you are looking at.

The 2730 and 2820 have different configuration options and the 2820 includes a 'large format' keyboard that will be very helpful on the bike that the 2730 does not include.

The video bandwidth overload cost me an extra $120 this month (basically about the profit of six GPS sales) and compressing them to a smaller format will gain very little bandwidth and be of questionable viewing quality.

For the amount of time that it takes to make the videos, cut them into logical segments and even put them on a disc for purchase might not make them worthwhile - maybe one of the bigger retailers who can afford a lot more time to dedicate someone to this might make sense for them to tackle it - it doesn't for me.

As Jim stated, everyone's needs are different and trying to determine why someone else chose a Zumo over the 2820 may not match your needs. (For example, you may want battery operation, MP3 memory expansion capability, etc. that favor the Zumo over the 2820 that don't impact somebody else)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just want to make sure beforehand. How about mapping software configuring up with GPS? Can these models do this? I am new to the actually terminology of stuff for the GPS, so hopefully I will catch on soon enough.

After I reread this thread this morning. I was wondering this question.
The 2730 and 2820 have different configuration options and the 2820 includes a 'large format' keyboard that will be very helpful on the bike that the 2730 does not include.
Does the Zumo have this keyboard option also?
Does any bluetooth phone work with the Zumo? I went to the garmin site and only 2 Lg models work with Zumo. I have a vx8100. I would hate to purchase a GPS and then the bluetooth not work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Before you buy a Garmin with BT you need to just pick up the phone and call Garmin and they can tell you if it is supported but just not on their list yet. My Samsung SCH-I730 PC Smart Phone was not on their list but it works with the 2820 so I was happy about that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon said:
There's a lot of little differences between these units, but the basics are pretty much the same.

Jon, thanks for the tip or info about the Large Format Keyboard as I missed that during Setup of the 2820 and I just changed it. I just LOVE the way you can Customize & Program what data you want for you tabs on the side such as Speed, Time of Day, Audio Info, Elevation, etc. Very COOL Feature.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
xxxrider said:
... I just LOVE the way you can Customize & Program what data you want for you tabs on the side such as Speed, Time of Day, Audio Info, Elevation, etc. Very COOL Feature.
As long as you're willing to accept the narrow or wide tabs - you can't customize the 'normal-width' tabs...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I have the tabs set to Slim and they seem to work just fine. I wouldn't want to use up anymore of the screen then I am using now.

It is just cool to be able to know what Time it is, what my Speed is according to the more accurate GPS and to be able to push a button and mute the sound or change channels on XM Radio or lower the volume.

Also, you can hit the Speed Tab and the Trip Meter comes up which is very useful also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts