GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the 2820 and used the cigarette plug that came with it for power on the bike. I just cut the plug off and wired direct and tape the speaker and mic wires so as not to touch each other. In the future I was thinking about doing the Kennedy cell setup to run thru the bike system. Not sure which way I am going to go (audio or IC) but I'll cross that later.
Here's my question, can I not use my own power cord that is refer to as the GPS harness. It seems to me, the mic, audio and power wires are all there. All I would need to do is purchase the Hitachi connectors from EC and make my connection to the Cell Set. Or if the connection will not mate from EC to Cell set could I not wire directly.
One more question, when they say "User can listen to AM/FM and hear GPS alerts....." will this also include CD and the Auxilliary mode?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The microphone input and stereo output signals are not present in the cable that you have cut open. The power/audio cable that drives the speaker on the car adapter is the voice output that is presented through the power connector on the back of the unit.

When you want to listen to the output of the unit in stereo, you'll need to connect to the headphone output jack on the left side of the unit. As soon as you plug a cable into that jack, the audio is no longer sent through the connector on the back of the unit, so all audio will be sent via the stereo output.

If you want to use the phone feature, you'll need a microphone input signal connected to the 'mic' input jack which is also located on the left side of the unit.

The Kennedy modules do not use the Hitachi connectors, but you could use your cable if you added the correct connector to the audio output wires (voice only) and then connected that to the Kennedy Single or DualSet module. You will still need to add additional devices/cables to use the phone or listen to the stereo output of the unit.

When you connect the Single or DualSet module to the headset harness and turn on the intercom system, the bike thinks that someone else has spoken into a helmet mic. This is what allows you to listen to ANY source from the audio unit (AM/FM/AUX/WB/CB) and have the voice prompts override that audio (obviously dependent upon the intercom mute settings on the audio unit).

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon for the info.
When I do the set up I think I'll just go for the intercom route. I already have a Sirius radio so I'll just use the 2820 for the alerts from GPS and cell phone use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts