GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
With the buyback program running where I got my GPS, I am looking to upgrade from the 2610 to either the 2820 or 2730. The 2820 is about $70 more. Is it worth it? Can one do something the other can't? Can you upload a route to the 2730? Does the 2730 come with Mapsource? Your help is appreciated. Thanks

John

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe the 2820 comes with bluetooth and the 2730 does not.

I believe the 2730 comes with the $220 XM antenna and the 2820 does not.

If you are not going to use the XM radio, buy the 2820.

If you are not going to use the bluetooth, buy the 2730.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about if I am not going to use either? Just the MP3 player for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Then get the 2730.

Think long term. If you think you might take advantage of the bluetooth feature, then get the 2820. If not, get the 2730. I have the 2730 and love it.

Bartman

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The free space on either unit for storing MP3s is only about 821MB (unless you manually remove the extra voices, which puts you at just under 1GB). MP3 player functionality is not the strength of these units.

I would go with the 2820 for the price difference - it's not discontinued and has more 'upgrade' potential.

·
Registered
319 Posts
cyclerider said:
How about if I am not going to use either? Just the MP3 player for now. Thanks again.
The GPS units you mention are wonderful units. But here's another suggestion even more tailor-made for you:

If you are "not going to use either" (Bluetooth or XM), the brand new Garmin Zumo 450 is just what you're looking for. And damn if Garmin didn't peg another popular segment of the GPS-buying public. It's as if they had you (and certainly many more prospective purchasers) in mind: MP3 player; glove-friendly; can be operated separately via it's lithium-ion battery; high brightness, sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display; SiRF-III chipset-receiver; engineered for motorcycle operation from the ground up, AND has an open SD card slot to really load up on your MP3's (or photos you might want to show w/the jpg picture viewer). I use a 4GB card in my Zumo 550 (about 100 CDs!). It comes out in a month or two.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would actually like to go with the Zumo, but my 2003 Goldwing is set up for the 2610. I don't think I can use any of the intercom, cellset or other stuff already on my Wing. If not for that, I would buy a Zumo.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My choice was the Zumo. I have ordered, but yet to recieve it to check it out. Reasons for my choice are: ease of operation, left sided buttons, SD card and battery operation. I was in the same choice mode, then spoke with Jon and he helped me out with my choice. Or at least pointed in the direction to which I think I need to go.

Cyclerider, you may want to talk to Jon. He can tell you what is you can interchange and cant. If might be simplier than you think. The Zumo comes with a power cord for the bike. I just have to extend the wires to make the connections, but in turn it saves me about $60. Also the Zumo does have a cradle that Jon says will hold the Zumo and not come ofut of the cradle. This is just information for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts