GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iway350 right now and although I like it I would like the ability to plan a trip on the laptop and transfer to the GPS. I am also looking for the ability to see phone calls coming in. I have been trying to compare the 2820 to the 550 and I see very few differences in the two. Screen size is one and price is the other. Resistance to fuel is really not a factor I consider important.

Can anyone out there tell me from personal experience of using the two why I should pay twice as much for the zumo versus the 2820.

Thanks in advance. Mike

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
While I have never used the 550, I have been on rides with others who do havei that unit. One thing I have found to be frustrating is the trying to "join" a route while in the middle of a ride. For example, if you have a route loaded in to the 550 but you join the route from a point other than the starting point of the route, it freaks out and won't let you. There may be a work around ro this that I'm not aware of. The 2820 doesn't have this problem.

The 2820 does offer one thing the 550 doesn't and that is a regular QWERTY keyboard interface, so typing in a location or trying to find a POI is very easy.

I upgraded from a 2730 to a 2820 for the Bluetooth feature and I have been very happy with my decision. The price difference between the 550 and the 2820 would give me pause. Based on that fact alone, I would pick the 2820. It's a good unit. You won't be disappopinted.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have an iway350 right now and although I like it I would like the ability to plan a trip on the laptop and transfer to the GPS. I am also looking for the ability to see phone calls coming in. I have been trying to compare the 2820 to the 550 and I see very few differences in the two. Screen size is one and price is the other. Resistance to fuel is really not a factor I consider important.

Can anyone out there tell me from personal experience of using the two why I should pay twice as much for the zumo versus the 2820.

Thanks in advance. Mike
According to the Garmin site, the 2820 is a discontinued model. Is there something that supercedes it? I'm not quite redy to but a GPS yet but was looking at the 550 seriously.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Nope - the 2820 is the last of StreetPilot line.

With the Zumo 660, they're moving towards the concept of modifying their automotive units to make them suitable for use on the bike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I upgraded from a 2730 to a 2820 for the Bluetooth feature and I have been very happy with my decision. The price difference between the 550 and the 2820 would give me pause. Based on that fact alone, I would pick the 2820. It's a good unit. You won't be disappopinted.
To install the 2820, it would probably need that same setup as the 550. It seems to me that it required the Cellset and a few other mods to make it work well with the headset.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I bought the 2820 a couple of weeks ago, mostly because it's quite a bit cheaper, got the cellset to hook it up to the intercom and use my Ipod, too cold to install it yet but using it in the car now. So far so good although my hard drive needed more than the 7 gi I had left on it to install the maps so I had to invest in a bigger hard drive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts