GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching various options for integrating the GPS into the Wing's Audio system I came across the following statement on the J&A Accessories site that's caused me to question my GPS selection (2820 ordered last week):

"The 2820 is the latest version of the StreetPilot series and includes the features of the 2730 as well as adding the ability to integrate your Bluetooth cellphone All this unit needs is a Radar Detector! The newer units do not come with any software for planning your routes or trips in advance on your computer - all trip planning has to be performed from the touch-sensitive display of the GPS itself."

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/GL1800_26_mounts.htm

The 2820 product description states that it comes with the City Navigator NT DVD.

So I guess my question is, can I preplan a route on my laptop and then upload it to the GPS or do I need to plan the route on the GPS...could any 2820 owners clarify this?

I felt like I'd done some pretty comprehensive research on this GPS but if I misinterpreted it's route planning capability..then I just ordered the wrong model...

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can pre-plan your route on the PC using MapSource. It's easy to use and works well.

Thanks Bartman. I was getting ready to find out for myself because shortly after I posted my question, FedEx arrived with the GPS. It wasn't supposed to be here till the 23rd!

Yardwork for the day is over with!

Al

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes, you can pre-plan your route on the PC using MapSource. It's easy to use and works well.
Nothing personal, but I will have to take exception with your "works well" assessment. Mapsource works, most of the time, but the user interface is not something I would say "works well". You would have to look for a while to find a UI that is less intuitive.

Once you're past the UI, it does allow you to plan routes and upload them, which was the OP's question.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Nothing personal, but I will have to take exception with your "works well" assessment. Mapsource works, most of the time, but the user interface is not something I would say "works well". You would have to look for a while to find a UI that is less intuitive.

Once you're past the UI, it does allow you to plan routes and upload them, which was the OP's question.
Yeah, the UI could be a little bit better, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use.

I planned all the routes below for the Smoky Mountain Ride In in about 30 minutes and I did them in both a CW and CCW direction. It's like any other piece of software. You just have to learn it's quirks and tricks. ;)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'll need to update my website - when Garmin initially released the units with the 'preloaded' maps, they didn't include Mapsource for route planning.

They've since corrected that oversight...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yeah, the UI could be a little bit better, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use.

I planned all the routes below for the Smoky Mountain Ride In in about 30 minutes and I did them in both a CW and CCW direction. It's like any other piece of software. You just have to learn it's quirks and tricks. ;)
:agree: +1
I used Map Source for routing to California and back on my 2610 and like Bartman says it takes some getting used to. I certainly would not like routing on a GPS other than telling it to find a location and Go To It.

The 2730 took some getting used to, but like the 2610 it allows PC routing. I really like its ability to play MP3s and having the XM radio built in. Saves clutter and allows all my audio to go in through the Aux input.

I agree also that the FM transmitter is not much, but I guess better than nothing (but just barely). :eek:4:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
BARTMAN - As shown above, how did you color code your routes and how did you post the route map to this thread? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
BARTMAN - As shown above, how did you color code your routes and how did you post the route map to this thread? Thanks!
Beginning with MapSource version 6.14.1, you have the option to color code your routes.

As far as the screen, I just did a screen capture of my Mapsource application, pasted the capture into Photoshop, cropped the map and then linked to the image just like you would any other image.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:agree:I agree that MapSource takes a little while to learn, but the time is well spent. I've used MapSource and my Garmin 2820 for about three years now. Experience and familiarity make it easier to use over time.

BTW, Even though the 2820 has been discontinued, only the 550 comes close to the capabilities of the 2820.

Enjoy it.
Brennon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts