GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The 2018 US-model Goldwing came with a single fob and a single emergency-start code. I purchased a spare fob, and it came with its own, distinct emergency-start code. What is the function/purpose of this second emergency-start code?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Although I have not tried it, my guess would be that the code will only work for the last fob that was used on the bike. Each FOB can only be paired once so the code is linked to a specific FOB. If you are using FOB “A” and you have an issue, not sure you could use the FOB “b” code to start the bike. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried it.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good Question.

I have also purchased an additional FOB, and took a picture of both codes to have, but I am unsure of which to use.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Although I have not tried it, my guess would be that the code will only work for the last fob that was used on the bike. Each FOB can only be paired once so the code is linked to a specific FOB. If you are using FOB “A” and you have an issue, not sure you could use the FOB “b” code to start the bike. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried it.
That makes sense and if correct is important for those us who bought a spare fob, because we then have to carry both emergency-start numbers. According to Farmguy, the Canadian bikes that originally came with two fobs came with a single emergency-start number that works with both fobs. If what Hairball says is correct, it will be really annoying to have to go through that cumbersome emergency-start procedure on a trial-and-error basis. Did I read that the 2019 US bikes come with a second fob?

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both fobs with separate emergency start numbers will work. I have two fobs and have gone back and forth starting the bike with either fob.
Just to clarify: You seem to be saying that both fobs work. That's not the issue. The issue is about there being two emergency-start codes. You've tried both emergency-start codes and either emergency-start code will start the bike?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to clarify: You seem to be saying that both fobs work. That's not the issue. The issue is about there being two emergency-start codes. You've tried both emergency-start codes and either emergency-start code will start the bike?

Both emergency codes will start the bike . Shortly after I purchased the spare fob, I was curious if both codes would work so I gave it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Both emergency codes will start the bike . Shortly after I purchased the spare fob, I was curious if both codes would work so I gave it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great! Thanks very much.

That suggests that one of the functions of activating the spare fob is registering its emergency-start code with the system. That in turn suggests the reason the system is limited to registering four fobs--because that's all the system has room to store. It also means that you don't need to carry both codes.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
That's great! Thanks very much.

That suggests that one of the functions of activating the spare fob is registering its emergency-start code with the system. That in turn suggests the reason the system is limited to registering four fobs--because that's all the system has room to store. It also means that you don't need to carry both codes.
Service manual implies that the first one registered becomes the main one, and that it's number may be needed in an 'emergency'.

It's in the section that explains registering a fob if all fobs are missing/damaged.

So, maybe, either can be used for emergency ignition unlock, but not for registering new fobs.

FWIW, Canadian bikes came with 2 fobs and one emergency number. There is no way to identify which fob is MAIN.

If a spare fob is purchased keep track of which number is associated with the original (MAIN) fob - just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Service manual implies that the first one registered becomes the main one, and that it's number may be needed in an 'emergency'.

It's in the section that explains registering a fob if all fobs are missing/damaged.

So, maybe, either can be used for emergency ignition unlock, but not for registering new fobs.

FWIW, Canadian bikes came with 2 fobs and one emergency number. There is no way to identify which fob is MAIN.

If a spare fob is purchased keep track of which number is associated with the original (MAIN) fob - just in case.
Interesting, and I believe you are certainly correct. In my previous post I'm extrapolating from one of the ways that software- and hardware-security works: There will be a dedicated and finite amount of storage space for security codes or passwords, and once registered and up to the limit of available storage any of those codes/passwords will authenticate. As in your example, the first one can sometimes be designated as the main one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
According to Farmguy, the Canadian bikes that originally came with two fobs came with a single emergency-start number that works with both fobs. If what Hairball says is correct, it will be really annoying to have to go through that cumbersome emergency-start procedure on a trial-and-error basis. Did I read that the 2019 US bikes come with a second fob?
Why Canadians deserve 2 fobs but not Americans?
A. They like Canadians more
B. Canadians didn't bomb Hiroshima/Nagasaki
C. They have shortage of fobs and Canadians paying more for a bike
D. They think that Americans are richer and should pay extra for a 2nd fob
E. They don't like Trump
:)

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
E. They don't like Trump
F. Canadians are nice (except Farmguy)
G. All of the above.

Also why do Canadians get a toolkit?

Answer: They can't afford to pay the shop rate, so they have to do the service work themselves.

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
506 Posts
We don’t get a tool kit either. The cost of buying an extra fob and putting together your own tool kit is much cheaper on our side of the border compared to what they pay for their bikes to have these items included.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
E. They don't like Trump
We used to pay more with the previous generation (back in '06 - '10 time frame) -- many of us imported US bikes because of the savings that could be had.

With the exchange rate where it is now and with the changes to MSRP, they are now asking less for them 'here'.

Of course there aren't as many large dealers that offer discounts for us to pick from.

And the Cdn version of the 2018 audio unit doesn't have the XN section, so it is impossible to add.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
We don’t get a tool kit either. The cost of buying an extra fob and putting together your own tool kit is much cheaper on our side of the border compared to what they pay for their bikes to have these items included.
I'll gladly give you my toolkit, it you will swap me audio units so I can add the XM antenna!

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We used to pay more with the previous generation (back in '06 - '10 time frame) -- many of us imported US bikes because of the savings that could be had.

With the exchange rate where it is now and with the changes to MSRP, they are now asking less for them 'here'.

Of course there aren't as many large dealers that offer discounts for us to pick from.

And the Cdn version of the 2018 audio unit doesn't have the XN section, so it is impossible to add.
Pure speculation, but I wonder if that isn't done in firmware. Not inconceivable, but it strikes me as inefficient for them to have separate SKUs for the physical parts. If there were something in the firmware that IDd the bike as Canadian, the firmware could branch to not showing XM as available.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Pure speculation, but I wonder if that isn't done in firmware. Not inconceivable, but it strikes me as inefficient for them to have separate SKUs for the physical parts. If there were something in the firmware that IDd the bike as Canadian, the firmware could branch to not showing XM as available.
Canadian audio unit does not have the connector for the xm antenna.

The Jan 2019 upgrade adds 'greyed out' indication for XM to the screen

One of the other forum members (sorry, can't remember who; maybe @Waterloojay ) has been in contact with Honda Canada and there doesn't not seem to be any upgrade path available for 2018 - but iirc the 2019's will have it available.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Canadian audio unit does not have the connector for the xm antenna.

The Jan 2019 upgrade adds 'greyed out' indication for XM to the screen

One of the other forum members (sorry, can't remember who; maybe @Waterloojay ) has been in contact with Honda Canada and there doesn't not seem to be any upgrade path available for 2018 - but iirc the 2019's will have it available.
Sad! The technical term for that is "stupid."

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Where is the best place to store a 2nd FOB?
I was thinking in the left saddlebag, with the battery removed? TIA.:smile2:

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have a 2019 Canadian bike that came with two fobs, and TWO emergency codes. There was nothing to distinguish the fobs from each other or designating one as "main". To date I have only tried one of the emergency numbers and it worked fine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts