GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m going to have 3 days to ride in Utah right before Rockies Gold. Any recommendations for where to ride? I’m looking for great roads and great views or hopefully both.

I’ve only ridden in Utah once before and that was when I was about 20 years old when all I did was make a quick pass through the state. That has been so long ago, I don’t remember anything about what I saw there.

Yes, I am aware that Utah is not directly between Kansas and Colorado. Frequently my wife says I can find the most indirect route between two points, even when I’m not riding a motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are going to be anywhere near Payson the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway is great. Honestly there are so many choices it would be hard to decide. Lots of state roads in good shape with great scenery. Zion or Bryce areas are good. Parawon east through the Dixie forest is good.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Wife and I spent 3 days based out of Cedar City and rode through Zion, Bryce Canyon and then hit Highway 12 on the way home via Highway 95. Fantastic rides and amazing views!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I’m going to have 3 days to ride in Utah right before Rockies Gold. Any recommendations for where to ride? I’m looking for great roads and great views or hopefully both.
Here you go. This should probably keep one busy for at least three days. FWIW the Moki Dugway is NOT for the faint of heart.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll forward the Garmin *.gpx file for your amusement and/or adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wife and I spent 3 days based out of Cedar City and rode through Zion, Bryce Canyon and then hit Highway 12 on the way home via Highway 95. Fantastic rides and amazing views!
The wife and I did 4 days based out of St George. This was the first full day ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Be sure and eat at the diner on curve, at the river bridge, in Mexican Hat. Like remoandiris said...be sure and do Moki Dugway, Muley Point! Also between Mexican Hat and Moki Dugway is Goosenecks State Park. This road is all paved and good condition. Moki Dugway is hard packed rock in the straights, paved in the curves...but your only going 10 mph. Do NOT be hesitant to do it just because of the gravel...I have been up and down it several times, loaded and with passenger. MM 13 south of Mexican Hat is where Forest Gump stopped running. Great Picture opportunity!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
From Cedar City a nice loop is Hwy 14 to Hwy 148 up to Cedar Breaks and Brian Head, then Hwy 143 east to Hwy 89 at Panguitch, and south back to Hwy 14 and west to Cedar City. Not a lot of miles but nice.

Hwy 12 is always a bonus.

I've always wanted to try Hwy 153 between Junction and Beaver but I always seem to be there the wrong time of year...it's always CLOSED!

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We have a group ride organized to ride all five Utah national parks in the 6 days leading up to Rockies Gold, then heading to Montrose on Thursday, 9/19/19 to join up with the RG group. If you have just three days, you could possibly join up with us on Monday night (9/16/19) in Hurricane, Utah and ride with us on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Or, you could join earlier in the route if your time is more flexible. If you'd like a copy of our itinerary, send me your email address at: [email protected]. I will send you our itinerary and GPS route files.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A long-ish day right here...

https://goo.gl/maps/E9ZYzKDugtQEZc5Z7

If you're stopping and taking in the scenery, it could be two easily.
Ooh, that's a darn fine day (or 2) right there!
I'd carry on up into Moab, take a run into Arches and Canyonlands NPs,and have mexican food and margaritas for dinner at Miguel's Baja Grill.

Oh man, now I want to be there. But to be fair, I almost always want to be there!

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Ooh, that's a darn fine day (or 2) right there!
I'd carry on up into Moab, take a run into Arches and Canyonlands NPs,and have mexican food and margaritas for dinner at Miguel's Baja Grill.
My wife and I did this loop in reverse a few years ago - in mid-April.

The area around Dixie Nat'l Forest (UT148 & UT143) was still snow-packed, so we had to take 14 to 89 instead.

I've red that UT-276 is a fun diversion as well - check ferry times, though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You've got a lot of great options that folks have given you. My wife and I are riding 6-7 days in So. Ut. this fall and plan on hitting many or most of these roads. So as far as roads go, I've got nothing to add.

·
Registered
515 Posts

I’ve only ridden in Utah once before and that was when I was about 20 years old when all I did was make a quick pass through the state. That has been so long ago, I don’t remember anything about what I saw there.

Yes, I am aware that Utah is not directly between Kansas and Colorado. Frequently my wife says I can find the most indirect route between two points, even when I’m not riding a motorcycle!

Interesting, I had a vacation day open up and I'm still working out some of the details, but I'm looking at heading to Utah at the tail end of RG2019

Here's a good resource I found to request free travel maps and look at destination info for Utah.

https://www.visitutah.com/plan-your-trip/utah-travel-guide/

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
The only other comment to add here...

If you're riding in some of the more remote areas of the Beehive State, make sure you keep a (better) eye on fuel than you might normally - in particular on Sunday's.

:mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts