GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year 3 riders ( 2 were coworkers) were killed while riding their Harley's in central Iowa, others were also injured and lost limbs but survived. The scene was something that reminded me of a war. A oncoming van driver crossed the center line and hit all the riders head on, now a jury found the van driver innocent even though he fell asleep at the wheel.

at the end of the article there are reader responses, including some from family of the victims

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10814475&BRD=2035&PAG=461&dept_id=238101&rfi=8

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can't see how this didn't come out as reckless driving. I'd really like to know whether this jury was unanimous or whether it was just one individual who thought him innocent.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
There just has to be something more than what I read in the article. For there not to be would make this a more bizarre outcome than the OJ verdict.

For those of you who haven't done so, go back to the story and click on the reader responses. Some good reading there, too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a horrible tragedy.I am appalled with the verdict,but one has to remember that a jury will be thinking about "intent" It's a very big word!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Intent to commit. If there is no alcholol or drugs involved, accidents happen to good people and thats how it is. It happens to cars, walkers and bikers.. The public perception of who we are has to change.

Last summer there was a guy on a crotch rocket , He flew by me and I almost hit him. I look for bikes and with the sun going down and his orange yellow bike, I didn't see him.

Its does suck but would it have been better if he was in a civic and a dump truck hit him.

No doubt bikers are just people. Some are good some are not. fact is most are the nicest people I ever met . Honest, generous to a fault, just bacially the kind of folk I call my friends. Well, us nice people have to change that perception one person at a time.

Its funny. I help run a food pantry in my area. We have over 200 families we assist on a regular basis. Very active in church and the community in general. Business owner. ex eagle scout. I ride my bike every chance I get. Most members of the parish don't know that.

One day on the way to our monthly meeting I was following a couple of senior women. I followed them right to the church. They were getting nervous when I kept making the same turns they were doing. When we got to the church I parked right next to them. When I and my wife took off the helmets they saw who it was.

They said they though some gang guy was following them. I told them. To be perfectly honest if I had a choice of trusting some one I didn't know and someone I didn't know that rode a bike I would opt for the biker. Told them judge people by what they do no what some friends aunt three times removed said happened to her 25 years ago. Some of the nicest people I know may look a little rough around the edges but I would be more apt to trust them then most.

I have a women I worked with for 10 years. I pull up to a red light. Shes in her Mercedes to my left. I wave to her. I wave again. She definetly sees me. I wave again. NOTHING she looks straight ahead.

Ignores me. On that Monday I said. What you don't wave to bikers. She said was that you. I said . You mean if a person waves to you on a bike you won't wave back. Talk about stuck up. Living by someone else experiences.

Yep another fool. I have kids wave all the time. I had a bunch of little boys admiring my bike at the supermarket. They were with there mom and dad, You know how kids like motorcycles.

I told the dad it's ok if they want sit on it. I said be careful not to knock it down. If the kids could have been more excited I can't iminagine. They were like can I come on dad....you know what I mean.

One wave to them in the car. Makes there day and alert the drive that were there too.

One person at a time. They will change.

Like I said change one person at a time. Some day it will make a difference. If more people had friends that rode they would certainly be more aware and careful out there.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deepfeet said:
Intent to commit. If there is no alcholol or drugs involved, accidents happen to good people and thats how it is. It happens to cars, walkers and bikers.. The public perception of who we are has to change.

seems to me if a driver is reckless by not getting enuff rest/sleep, driving 11 hours straight....that is an intent to drive in a dangerous situation and could cause bodily harm. In this case it did

·
Registered
824 Posts
deepfeet said:
We have over 200 families we assist on a regular basis. Very active in church and the community in general. Business owner. ex eagle scout. I ride my bike every chance I get. Most members of the parish don't know that.

Hey Deepfeet - As the proud father of an Eagle Scout and a past Scout Master you are NOT an Ex Eagle Scout - You are an Eagle Scout sir!! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
deepfeet said:
Like I said change one person at a time. Some day it will make a difference. If more people had friends that rode they would certainly be more aware and careful out there.
Enjoyed your post deepfeet! :)

Now what the heck are deepfeet? :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
As with the guy that fell asleep. Really if you killed three people would you really care about reckless driving. I would live with that fact for the rest of my life. I'm not even sure I could get in a car again. What possible punishment could be worse then that. I would think I would feel better if I got punished, jail time, community service etc. Lets all hope none of us every have to live something like that.

Some people are really incappabile of having the intent. I feel it really has to be a conscience thing not by elimination.

Example: If you were 18 and your girlfrind was 17 and you had sex then it would be statatory rape. They say cause a minor person doesn't have the right to consent then it must be rape.

Well if you hurt someone cause you fell asleep then if must have been content cause other wise you wuldn't have driven...Thats different from drinking and driving. Although if it impairs your thought then when you decided to drive you wern't thinking property when that decision was made. So does that bad decision count.

On a lighter side..What is a deepfeet. I have been asked that before.

Here ya go...

Ok your a pilot and someone says to you how fast do you fly. A cool way to answer would be really fast or how high do you climb to a mountain climber, really high. Or how fast do you ride your cycle very fast.

How deep do you scuba dive....DeepFeet Sort of a cool way of saying deep enough but who counting.

Been using that handle for ever. Since my days on Fidonet and bbs,s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts