GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
:agree::agree:never know when clock gonna strike 0 .:cry: we all gotta go sometime .... always to soon !

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thats real sad.......now riding in groups can be dangerous especially when something like this happens.....ppl panic (we all do) and we have no where to go and it was probably dark.....

Never good but its on of those things we can all learn from. jer

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
From the news article:
" a vehicle stopped to make a turn but was rear-ended by another vehicle and pushed into the oncoming lane"

That's why when stopped waiting to make a turn drivers should keep their wheels straight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss and the grief the families must be suffering. For me I have learned from this, I haven't given much thought about the car approaching the one that is going to make a left turn, or if the wheels are turned or straight. I have only been watching for movement of the stopped vehicle.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I do not pay any attention to that stuff nor do I worry about it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Sad ending to a nice ride.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What are you referencing? Are you talking about keeping your wheels straight (when you're in a cage) as you wait to make a left turn? I had never thought about that before, but now that I read this I will start doing it. Maybe I will get hit from behind some day as I wait to turn left, and I certainly don't want to be pushed into oncoming traffic, both for my own safety and the safety of oncoming motorists.

Are YOU saying that you won't take this simple step, which may save a life? If so, you're an A$$. If it's something else that you're talking about, please do tell.

As for the story, this is terrible news. I wonder if the motorist who plowed into the rear of the stopped car was "distracted?" I'd be willing to bet that he/she was indeed distracted by something. I'm assuming the stopped car's brake lights & turn signal were on & working.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Sad news. Prayers to the friends and family....at least they died doing something they loved.

As to the accident itself....This is why I believe the 2 second rule applies to motorcyles as well as cars. If the second, third and 4th bike were all 2 seconds behind each other, there is no way bikes 3 and 4 go down as they would have had a full 4-6 seconds to react. Maybe even the 2nd bike has a chance at 2 seconds back.

I know it's fun to ride in formation and it looks cool but I've never understood why people think that following 2 seconds behind in a car that has steel all the way around you is a good idea but not necessary for motorcycles when you've got nothing but a helmet and gear.

This kind of thing happens all the time to groups but we still think riding in formation is a good idea.

I usually only ride with 2 other guys and I'm always getting ribbed for "falling back" but I just don't think following right behind another bike is safe.

Some accidents are unavoidable and are going to take someone out, why crash 2 or 3 other bikes in addition to the first one.

·
Banned
792 Posts
I never sit with my wheels turned waiting for a clearing to proceed. I also look for that on a car waiting to make a left turn when I am on my bike because if the wheels are already turned then in my opinion they are ready to pull out in front of you. The other thing to look for is the driver turning his steering wheel as this too is the sign they are ready to move. This is a sad story to read, any time this kind of thing happens to riders it is a sad day for many. And to the person who does not worry about this kind of thing or pay attention to it perhaps you should start doing so, kind of a lame thing to say.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I agree on spacing yourself out more as a way to help prevent this type of multiple bikes being involved in this type of accident.
Very sorry to hear of the three deaths and the 4th guy being injured.
this is an unfortunate opportunity from which to learn.
space out, but remain in sight.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
A very sad happening. I'm a very cautious rider but you just never know when adversity will strike. I never ride in groups and when riding with another rider am always well spaced out as it's just the safer way to do things.

Prayers for the deceased, injured and their families. God Bless.

Fred

·
Registered
211 Posts

Man. Some of you guys are really flaming chrisashbrook for the post above.

Now, I may be wrong, but I read his post as saying, "while on his bike" he doesn't pay attention to whether an oncoming vehicle has its wheels turned or not and that he doesn't intend to start worrying about it, "while on his bike". And I tend to agree with that.

I did did not read into his post that he was callously not going to "pay attention to that stuff" while in his cage, if he was the guy waiting to make a turn.

I suppose I could be wrong, but damn,, it seems that a lot of folks on this board are ready to jump all over other posters a$$e$ At the drop of a hat.

I guess that that is why I read much more than I post...

·
Banned
792 Posts
I am not jumping on anyone here. I am simply saying perhaps he should pay attention to these types of situations going on around him whether he is in a car or on a bike. May save his butt one of these days by doing so. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The other reason for keeping the wheels straight ahead while waiting to make a LH turn is for the safety of the waiting vehicle. It could just as easy been a truck coming rather than motorcycles, resulting in a different type of tragedy.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Maybe you should, sounds a bit callous.
Man. Some of you guys are really flaming chrisashbrook for the post above.

Now, I may be wrong, but I read his post as saying, "while on his bike" he doesn't pay attention to whether an oncoming vehicle has its wheels turned or not and that he doesn't intend to start worrying about it, "while on his bike". And I tend to agree with that.

I did did not read into his post that he was callously not going to "pay attention to that stuff" while in his cage, if he was the guy waiting to make a turn.

I suppose I could be wrong, but damn,, it seems that a lot of folks on this board are ready to jump all over other posters a$$e$ At the drop of a hat.

I guess that that is why I read much more than I post...
I took chrisashbrook's comment a little differently... Maybe he's saying that he doesn't dwell on accident reports like this. You can "worry" about all kinds of things (that you have no control over) without really being able to affect the outcome, and all you really accomplish is raising your blood pressure and causing ulcers.

Prayers to the families these riders left behind. I think we can all learn from reports like this without "stewing" about them.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Perhaps I read something into it I should not and retract my post. If I did, then I certainly apologize.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Don't know what riding in a group had to do with this. Just more people hurt but not the group's fault in any way. It's like saying driving with a full car is not good since more could be hurt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts