GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ridding in temps of 100 and above for long periods ,letting the bike set overnight ,upon starting the right side tics till lifters get there share of the oil. Is this something to worry about. Newly acquired 03 with now 25000 miles. It does have a full one year warrantee thru Honda

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
My 2001 tics, and has from day 1.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would guess it is more a injector noise than a lifter. If it is a lifter, it's way to much clearance.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was under the impression the 1800 did NOT have hydraulic lifters and therefore there was no pumping up of lifters that occurred at start-up (or ever for that matter!). (Could be wrong, but don't think so.)

I agree with the post above and suspect what you are hearing is injector noise.

That MIGHT lead to the question of why it seems to go away after running a bit.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I was under the impression the 1800 did NOT have hydraulic lifters and therefore there was no pumping up of lifters that occurred at start-up (or ever for that matter!). (Could be wrong, but don't think so.)

I agree with the post above and suspect what you are hearing is injector noise.

That MIGHT lead to the question of why it seems to go away after running a bit.

you are correct the wing has "SOLIDS" for lifters & will NOT pump up!!! BUT do need adjusted

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My 01 has done this for years,AND YES, its a valve noise not injectors.its normal for these engines to do,almost every one with some miles or age on them do it,RELAX and ride her,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Try a higher octane level next time you fill up.

Goldwings have low compression engines and don't need high octane fuel. Migh even be bad for them.
If it were a preignition clatter it wouldn't happen at idle, even a fast one. Fuel injectors would be the first guess, they are a known form of tic. Not there to hear it, so hard to say.

You may hear all kinds of new noises with the Wing, most are normal, but don't be shy about asking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts