GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, planning a trip to San Antonio in mid May, looking for good intel for camping.
I see there are a few state parks around 3 sisters area, any info on which one would be a good choice for a few days
I've looked at net info, had rather rely on personal recommendations. TIA

Private campgrounds too?

Plans are to stay in San Antonio a couple nites, then head out to 3 sisters area

·
Registered
189 Posts
Garner State Park on the Frio River is very nice, it would be my first pick.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Lost Pines State Park

Garner - on the Frio River is a good one. It will be busy. But you can take a lawn chair down by the river and watch all the pretty girls playing in the water. It has a bit of "night life" depending on what section you camp in.

Garner books up early so try now if you want to stay there.

Lost MAPLES (Not Pines) State Park is on the Sabinal River (more like a creek). It is on Hwy 187 just north of Vanderpool. We like it because it is small and quiet. Getting to/from the actual Three Twisted Sisters from Lost Maples (not Pines) is a section of RR 337 that is as good as any of the sisters. There is a straight downhill run on RR 337 just west of Vanderpool. Be aware that the popo likes to sit down at the bottom!

There are lots of other good roads in the area. Don't miss old Hwy 16 between Kerrville and Medina.

Be sure to get a meal at the OST Diner in Bandera while you are in the area.

Listen to some guitar picking & have a Shiner Bock in Luckenbach.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
My Texas

Floating down the Old Frio and having a Shiner Bock in Luckenbach are on the "Bucket List" my honey and I are working on. We have three to go! You might get a few good ideas from this. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Lost Pines State Park is on the Sabinal River (more like a creek). It is on Hwy 187 just north of Vanderpool. We like it because it is small and quiet. Getting to/from the actual Three Twisted Sisters from Lost Pines is a section of RR 337 that is as good as any of the sisters. There is a straight downhill run on RR 337 just west of Vanderpool. Be aware that the popo likes to sit down at the bottom!

I think you meant Lost Maples state park. I think Lost Pines is down by Bastrop. Lost Maples is a beautiful place, but fills quickly.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/lost-maples

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Koyote ranch, west of Kerrville is a good place.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Lost Maples State Park is very nice. IF you want a fire then you must purchase firewood from the front office. On the weekends can be full. We were there and there was about three full Boy Scout troops there that their leaders felt everyone in the park should be up at 6 AM and listen to them cook. The tent about 100 feet from us had a nice young couple that practiced making new Boy Scouts at 2:30 and 5:30 AM.
Wonderful area. Restaurant in Utopia has great food and is where they filmed "Seven Days in Utopia", the Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool is nice and if you are in Bandera on Sunday morning about 7 AM go to the OST and have breakfast with Tom Finch of Tailwind Trailers, he and his Merry band will take you under their wing and if you have time, Tom will lead you to some back roads of the area along with a verbal history. I seriously doubt anyone knows the entire area as well as Tom. He is always in the far room to the right.

here is a great site...some is a bit dated but mostly very good

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I believe you said mid may. Come during the week and you should have everything to yourself. School is still in session no families will be out camping and weather should be good. Good luck, a lot of places to stay while you ride. It would probably be good to stay in the Hill country for a few days and then head into San Antonio and see what is in the city. Let us know when you get closer to your date.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right now plans are to arrive around May 20, a couple nights in San Antonio, then to the camp grounds.
To be centrally located, thinking about staying at Lost Maples for a few days.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
When I go to that area I always stay at Lady Bird Johnson Park just south of Federicksburg. It is clean with plenty of places to tent camp in the shade of not. It cost $10 a night. Real convenant to a lot of good riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts