GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may be interested, my Bride and me just got back from a 4,641 mile jaunt from Michigan to the great American west.
Went over the mighty Mac with my Bride on the back and haulin' our Timeout camper w/cooler. Like alot of You, we had to ride the whole way over the bridge on the dreaded grid. Got charged for the trailer as well as the bike.
Hit Hwy 2 and rode it across the the rest of the upper peninsula,WI,MN,ND and into montains to the west Glaicer. Stayed 2 days at the St. Marys KOA in east Glaicer. Went south to Virginia City,MT. Then onto Yellowstone and into Cody where we stayed another 2 days. Went over the Big Horn mountians into Sturgis. Stayed about 4 hours. Got a t-shirt and took some photos and left going south where we stayed at Hot Springs,SD.
Next day, rode down to Nebraska to take their Hwy 2 through the over 300 miles of sand dunes. But first, we had to stop at Car Hendge. Every one in Amaerica must see Car Hendge at least once.
Continued into Iowa. We took all secondary roads until we got into Illnois, where we picked up I-80. Of all of the scary mountains we rode through, nothing was as frightening as riding around Chicago and Gary Indiana.
We only got caught in the rain 3 times in 21 days on the road and all 3 times were in Michigan. Once leaving and twice on our return home.

Observations,Opinions Conclusions,:
For every approxomately 50 Harleys, I saw an 1800 Goldwing, which did my heart good, along with a decent amout of older Wings,1200's and 1500's.
There were suprisingly a decent amout of Victory's, with a handfull of their luxo tourer. As well as a decent amout of BMW's. Didn't see their newest GTL tourer.
As I stated earlier, I pretty much stayed on the surface roads and stayed in the 55 to 60 mph range. Needless to say, I did pretty good in the mpg department getting about 235 miles to the fill up with two up and pulling a 300 pound loaded trailer.

In my humble opinion, after over 40 years of riding,in the dirt and on the tarmac,including police motorcycles, I am convinced that the GL 1800 Goldwing is the finest two up, trailer haulin' motorcycle on the road.

Conclusion: Things I added to my Wing to help it be better,fit me better and make it more comfortable for my Bride.
Before I left I changed the oil with 10-40 Amsoil,my most favorite oil in the whole world. I use a Scotts permanent,reusable stainless steel oit filter.
From the top: I put on a new Nationl Cycle windshield w/vent. Handle bar risers. Sylvania H7 headlights along with the fog lights. Baker hand and bike wings. Air seats. Freedom Air for me and an AirHawk for her. Cup holder for Her.
A GPS. J&M digital music player plugged into where the CD player goes.
Kury. Transition foot peg/floor boards for Her added riding comfort.
New set of Conti Motion tires with Centramatics front and rear.
Clothes- we are an ATGATT couple.
Helmets-Nolan Trilogy N-43 w/Sena bluetooth intercom headsets.
We added the Veskamo cooling vests. They work, and are life savers. We got stuck in a construction site in Montana for over 15 minutes in 98 degree heat. The vest kept us cool and happy. If we didn't have them, we believe we would have passed out from heat exhaustion.
Never as much as hicup from the ol' '06 Wing, and it used nary a drop of earl. And we were blessed with no mishaps.
What a wonderful country we live in. The very best way to see it is from atop of the very best of motorcycles. The Honda Goldwing,of course.
Respectfully submited,
Mikey S.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The Mighty Mac is an awesome bridge, as long as the winds are below 45 mph. I've done it twice. Why didn't you stay on the concrete instead of running the left lane open grid?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Mighty Mac is an awesome bridge, as long as the winds are below 45 mph. I've done it twice. Why didn't you stay on the concrete instead of running the left lane open grid?
We would have loved to stay on the concrete, but as it seems more than not, they were painting the bridge and had the north bound right lane closed.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Thanks for the trip report. I sometimes wish my trip reports were that short and sweet but it seems as if so much more happens on these trips than just naming the roads traveled plus a few highlights. I've been working on our trip report from this summer's 6500 mile east coast trip and it's up to 9 pages with 2000 miles to go!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I always enjoy the RRs. Thanks for posting yours.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mighty Mac

We rode this last year with no wind at Sunset. What a beautiful evening! Rode the grate with a Stone on the front and a Metz on the rear. Bike tracked true with very little wander. Did the tour around Lake Michigan with a stop in Green Bay for the Packer experience.

We caught the end of the Sturgis Rally on the way east from our trip to the coast. I kind of felt that 80 - 90% of the Hd production must have been there. Never seen that many in one place. Nearly all were RIDDEN and not on trailers.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like you two had a great trip. We are jealous that we can't get out on a long trip like you guys. Could you give some info on your Scotts oil filter,your new windshield,how did you and your wife like it? How did the Conti tires work out. Thanks for any info. RIDE SAFE :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you two had a great trip. We are jealous that we can't get out on a long trip like you guys. Could you give some info on your Scotts oil filter,your new windshield,how did you and your wife like it? How did the Conti tires work out. Thanks for any info. RIDE SAFE :thumbup:
Yes sir,
My windshield is the Vstream with the vent. It worked well for me and cleans up real well. I've had it for 2 years. I like the Scotts oil filter alot. I've used it on my bike for 3 years and it's payed for itself with the $100 dollars it cost.
I thought I try the Contis just do go with something different. With the centramatics installed they ran real smooth. They do sig a bit louder than the E3'S I had on previously. Especially on pavemant. I did have a Racetech front end and Traxxion rearend done to the bike last year.

I ment to add that this was my wife's frist long trip and first time west of the ol' Mississippi. She said after we got back that she was pleasently suprised how comfortable she was on the trip. We took 7 days to get to the Glacier, 7 days to tour around and 7 days to get home. I worked out real well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts