GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of the weather today and put some miles on. I had the first impression of the tire that Meercat did. It didn't feel too secure at first, but after 75 miles or so, I got the feel for it.

The Kumho felt good from the beginning, but not the Demon. I ran it mostly on straight roads with some curves. It takes a little more pressure on the bar than the OE Stone to get it to turn, but feels good and I scrapped the pegs a couple of times.

I ran 40 psi for 50 miles and didn't like the ride. I dropped it to 36 and that was better. I will monitor it for cupping. I didn't feel any buzzing in the bars and only a little noise when turning.

The tread measured between 7 and 8 32nds when new and now is down to 7 32nds. Maybe I am harder on tires than I thought, since the Kumho looks like it will be shot at 12000 miles.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My Demon goes on Sat. THANKS for the review and psi info.

...........Don

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It will probably take a day or two for it to set and settle down. Should smooth out for you. Enjoy it. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Of all the front tires I've had on this bike I like the Pirelli Sport Demon the Best..
To me my bike feels like it has power steering..

"Pirelli's Rule" in my book.. :thumbup:

your results will vary.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Of all the front tires I've had on this bike I like the Pirelli Sport Demon the Best..
To me my bike feels like it has power steering..

"Pirelli's Rule" in my book.. :thumbup:

your results will vary.
Rocky, thanks for the review. I guess I'm not that sensitive to the feel of the bike and the nuances of each tire. If it steers and rides well I'm happy. It's funny how we each have different things that catch our attention as we ride. I honestly couldn't tell you any differences between tires because I'm just not that aware of the subtle feel of the tire. Thanks for the insights. It will help me when I'm done with the Battlax.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'm anxious to try the Sport demon, but I only run the Battlax on the slab now, so it may be a while. That things still has a bunch of tread in the middle.

Just got another G709 for the front for when the one I have on now wears out. As I've stated, The Battlax works in the mtns but feathers badly on the sides from my style of riding.

Also anxious to try the 175-60 Wintersport that Tom Franken is running. But The Goodyear SP 3000 DSST I have on now has a bunch of miles left. I'll knock about 1300 miles off it this weekend doing the N.C. Lunch Run. Brrr

BTW, find a picture of this tire and look at the roundness of the tread. I think it's the roundest of all of them.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I'm anxious to try the Sport demon, but I only run the Battlax on the slab now, so it may be a while. That things still has a bunch of tread in the middle.

Just got another G709 for the front for when the one I have on now wears out. As I've stated, The Battlax works in the mtns but feathers badly on the sides from my style of riding.

Also anxious to try the 175-60 Wintersport that Tom Franken is running. But The Goodyear SP 3000 DSST I have on now has a bunch of miles left. I'll knock about 1300 miles off it this weekend doing the N.C. Lunch Run. Brrr

BTW, find a picture of this tire and look at the roundness of the tread. I think it's the roundest of all of them.
I don't think that dual compound on the Bax is a good match for the front of the bike as the edges don't keep up with the small amount of wear in the center. Hopefully the Demon will wear more even across the tire with the single compound. Cheers...:doorag:

·
Registered
661 Posts
The Demon went on today. Just a couple hundred miles, and,
at 40psi I could definately feel the sipes of the tire at 45 mph.
A buzzing would describe it very well.
At 55mph plus the buzz dissapears and the power steering that Rocky describes takes over.

Very solid feel, a little more effort to turn. I am comparing to the mostly worn stock tire. At 14k the original tire still could have been run a little more but, in the interest of Safety, the Demon came aboard today.

There will be plenty of time for more reviews and evaluations. But for now, I give the Pirelli Sport Demon/Kumho runflat a solid :yes1: .....Don

Pirelli Sport Demon 130/70 bias ply rear tire (on front) with normal rotation

Kumho R/F 195/55 35 psi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts