GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a rider is doing an IBA certificate ride there is a little confusion (perhaps a lot of) concerning the 300 or 350 mile fuel limit that a rider must abide by. I have 16 IBA certificate rides, including 2 BBG's and a SS2000 Gold, and they all limited me to 300 miles between fuel stops even though, with a 5 gallon aux tank, I am capable of at least 400 miles with short stops at rest areas etc.

Some riders post to IBA context threads and continue to mistakenly say that a rider must stop for fuel every 350 miles.

The rules for a BBG, revised Jan. 13, 2008, and the SS1000/BB1500 revised Mar. 23, 2014, state:

WARNING: If your motorcycle is equipped with a large fuel-tank, please note that you must stop at least once every 300 miles for gas (this is purely for documentation for your ride). Although we know it is possible to ride greater distances non-stop, we will not accept a claim of this type.

See this link for the IBA rides and rules:
http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

I do not intend to compete in any rallies and cannot comment about what the limit is for those riders.

Comments concerning the limit is welcome and appreciated.

gramps

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
would have to have a catheter and bag to go 300 miles :bow::bow: :lol::lol:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would think they would set certain rules in order to maintain a certain safety aspect for the rider, All Riders, since some don't know when to stop and it could get out of hand. With out this rule. I can visualize seeing a Goldwing going down the road with a 10 gallon metal gas can on the backseat with a hose and a shut off valve.........

It can't be all about the race.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Buddykitchen wrote:
Not that I'm advocating anything, but
I'm curious... has the IBA ever
certified a run that didn't follow the
350-mile receipt rule? For example,
if someone was attempting a sort of
absolute time-to-distance record and
was making the absolute minimum stops
possible by loading up their bike like
a 2-wheel tanker?

I know that people can do as they
please unofficially, I'm just talking
about official sanction.

The short answer is no.

Longer answer: neither the Iron Butt Association nor Guinness, nor any other reputable organization maintains records of the "time-to-distance" variety on public roads, aka speed records. We are about safe long-distance riding and such records are antithetical to that. Such records are pure racing on the public roads, illegal and dangerous. We actively discourage such attempts. Rather, all of our rides are of the "level-of-effort" variety, where completing the minimum miles within the time limit is all that counts. For example, it doesn't matter if one completes a Saddlesore 1000 in 23 hours or sixteen hours - it's all the same to us. Because we don't limit fuel capacity, one can imagine a case where a bike is, in fact, loaded like a fuel tanker (there has been a rider, in fact, who had a motorcycle trailer outfitted as a fuel tank to attempt a coast-to-coast ride without stopping. He wasn't trying for IBA certification, and he almost made it, but failed due to some mechanical issue). We would still require the documentation at the 300-350 mile mark. If we didn't, it would be that much more difficult to confirm they rode the ride they claim.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Interesting that the Admin guy says something different then what is in the 50CC rules

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
:roll::roll::roll: mechanical issue !! bladder n kidney failure :lol::lol: trouble for me on those long runs is that like nite driving usually only where i have been - not just for safety issue but ride to seats whats out there and miss alot in the dark !!!done 3 i butts without sending in paperwork ! think still have stashed somewhere ! when they start payin me for trips i'll give them proof ;)

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
He had a 75 gallon tank on his trailer, and had electrical issues very close to the end

His attempt was to be NON-STOP

Oh ya, 75 gallons on a bike trailer, sounds safe to me

·
Registered
693 Posts
For individual IBA certifications:

-Fuel limit is 300 miles. (need gas receipt every 300 miles).
-Amount and placement of onboard fuel is NOT regulated.

For rallies:

-Fuel limit mileage per rally rules.(ETA-For both Butt Lite and IBR currently there is no distance limit in miles for refueling, aside from the max capacity limit of the onboard fuel).
-Amount and placement of onboard fuel per rally rules (Typically fuel cell, 11.5 gallons max onboard).

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
He had a 75 gallon tank on his trailer, and had electrical issues very close to the end

His attempt was to be NON-STOP

Oh ya, 75 gallons on a bike trailer, sounds safe to me
And he had an onboard potty:22yikes::eek:4:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For individual IBA certifications:

-Fuel limit is 300 miles. (need gas receipt every 300 miles).
-Amount and placement of onboard fuel is NOT regulated.

For rallies:

-Fuel limit mileage per rally rules (typically 350).
-Amount and placement of onboard fuel per rally rules (Typically fuel cell, 11.5 gallons max onboard).
Thanks Andy, I looked in the rules for the 2013 IBR (Iron Butt Rally) and found nothing restricting miles between fuel stops. There is mention of bonus points awarded for keeping a gas log.

In order to encourage tracking such as Spotwalla, the IBA will waive a gas log for the IBR.

The IBR has lengthy, mandatory, rest periods, probably to help ensure safety and limit liability, which may negate the need to force riders to rest by requiring/limiting mileage between fuel stops.

A rally is based on taking pictures of, or proving, that bonus points are visited as well as odometer readings before and after, so I don't see a need for a gas log unless the rules require one.

gramps

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The IBR has lengthy, mandatory, rest periods, probably to help ensure safety and limit liability, which may negate the need to force riders to rest by requiring/limiting mileage between fuel stops.
Sort of. I believe the last few iterations of the IBR have had significant bonuses for rest periods. That incentivizes the riders to stop and rest, but strictly speaking, they are still optional.

There is also some rest inherent in the two intermediate checkpoints though again that, too, could theoretically be consumed by the rider doing someone else like maintenance or such. I don't know if the timing of the next leg's rally book handout means route planning eats into prime between-legs rest time, or it's more of planned pre-start period and then eating into on-the-clock time.

I've been getting acquainted with this stuff gradually. It's interesting. I've got a basic SS1000 under my belt and a few cert rides ahead. I like the idea of the rally (the routing challenge and the treasure hunt elements of it) but generally am not a fan when endurance turns into sleep deprivation. With no right to weigh in and only abstract reasoning, I nevertheless commend the organizers for introducing the rest bonuses. On my end, I need a few more shakedown LD cruises on my own then may tinker with some short rallies as I figure out where and how my fun-meter is best engaged.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks Andy, I looked in the rules for the 2013 IBR (Iron Butt Rally) and found nothing restricting miles between fuel stops. There is mention of bonus points awarded for keeping a gas log.

In order to encourage tracking such as Spotwalla, the IBA will waive a gas log for the IBR.

A rally is based on taking pictures of, or proving, that bonus points are visited as well as odometer readings before and after, so I don't see a need for a gas log unless the rules require one.

gramps

I stand corrected and will edit my post.

I am learning all the time too.

Now I understand even more why fuel cells are so common for the big rallies. Glad I'll have mine for Butt Lite 6.

I did review both the Team Strange (Butt Lite) and IBA (Iron Butt Rally) rules. The fuel logging requirements are different and both may require a fuel log but it does appear the minimum distance between fuel stops is only limited by the 11.5 gallon onboard capacity limit.

Best,
Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts