GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from my first long ride on my DD'sider and thought I would pass along my views. Trip was from Flintstone GA, about 7 miles south of Chattanooga TN, to NW suburb of Detroit and then onto Michigan's UP to Gwinn.

Traveled I-75 to Detroit, weather conditions were high temps, and dry roads. From Detroit stayed on I-75 to Mackinaw Bridge. Mostly dry, some showers, but nothing major. Lots of construction from Flint to North of Bay City/Saginaw. In the construction zones lots of uneven pavement, heavy sipeing, some road debris and the occassional pothole or twelve.

Purposely drove on the exposed metal portion of the bridge, both directions, at approximately 40 mph, which is the legal limit. While in the UP, stayed on major state hwy's as well as many side trips where some sweeping curves were present, but mainly straight roads. However, in the Gwinn area, I purposely road on some gravel roads again in hopes of getting a feel on how the tires performed.

Checked pressure throughout the trip and tires held their original pressures of 38 psi on the rear and 40 psi on the front. The bike has centramatics on both wheels.

On the return trip ran into very heavy rain and high winds from West Branch to just North of Flint...

Observations:

Mileage: 41 mpg avg for the 2900 miles of the trip, up from my normal 39. Bike was heavily loaded with clothing, camping gear, food and cooking equipment and 2 folding chairs.

Handling: Great. No problems or difficulties on any of the surfaces. In the rain, the tires performed very well.

Breaking: Many times throughout the trip I intentionaly performed heavy stops to see if I noticed any difference. The bike does have ABS. I think the bike did exhibit more stopping power, but it may be only in my mind...but it felt more sure footed under full breaking at speed.

Cornering: Good, but still takes some getting use to. It seemed, at least to me, that it took more effort to get into the turn and the bike seemed that it wanted to standup...or at least that was my feeling...again nothing bad or difficult...just different. I suspect that it will be better as the tires wear somewhat and I become more comfortable in my setup and followthrough.

Noise: Really quiet. Felt very stable in all conditions.

Mackinaw Bridge: Bike definately seemed to move around. I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster than the 40 mph's that were allowed. According to the guy riding with me, it didn't seem to be moving much at all from his vantage point behind me...so again maybe I was imagining more than I was actually experiencing...but none the less, I will still be cautious as I look for more exposed metal surfaces.

Rain: Truly did well. Tires felt very firm to the road. No movement at all. Seemed to handle well on all the surfaces...really enjoyed the ride..felt very confident in their ability to grip and shed water.

Gravel: Again I took it easy, but they seemed no different than the former MC tires...not sure what I was expecting to happen, but in my mind absolutely no difference.

Wear: Can see no visual wear on either tire. The gellow riding with me said the rear appeared to be completely in contact with the road surface on the straightaways and he said it appeared to have lots of rubber contacting on the turns.

In short I loved the handling. I still want to feel more comfortable on turns, which I'm sure will be the case as I gain more experience. Exposed metal bridgeway will also require additonal practice to see if I become more comfortable...

But overall I am convinced I made a good decision and look forward to many enjoyable miles with my new skins.

Hope this was helpful, and I will continue to post as the miles are added.

Doug / AG5I

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with your new tires.:congrats:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: and thanks for sharing your experience with us!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not bad, around a 5% improvement in gas mileage just from a tire. My EP100 has improved my mileage too. Glad you like it too, I know it has been my favorite and longest lasting tire so far.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Good report. Hope others read it and try a CT.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Very good report! I was in Marquette, MI this summer. Truly a great ride to test the DD's. You shoulda stopped by Rails' house for them cookies. Maybe next ride.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Very good report! I was in Marquette, MI this summer. Truly a great ride to test the DD's. You shoulda stopped by Rails' house for them cookies. Maybe next ride.
Shoulda ,coulda ,but didn't. Dino Its fun and easy isn't it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wasn't able to stop at Rail's, but plan to head up agn next yr and will allow more time to do so...hopefully waistline will be considerably smaller so as to allow more consumption...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts