GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my 20S connected to a Freewire and a Garmin 396 GPS. It works OK, but is very noisy with the signature popcorn noise that has plagued the 20S from the beginning. Does anyone know if the 30K is quieter than the 20S when it is used for multiple A2DP connections? Sierra will allow me to test a 30K in my setup if I want, but if it does not work better than the 20S, I would end up having to pay their restocking charge. I don’t mind spending the money if the headset is actually quieter, but don’t want to pay to test the headset if someone else has already determined that the 30K is just as noisy as the 20S. If I am only riding a couple of hours, the noise does not bother me too much, but after 6 hours or so it gets really frustrating. I’m also not wild about the shorter battery life of the 30K, but I can live with that. I put a 5000 mAh battery in my jacket pocket and connect it to the headset. With that setup my 20S will run for several days without battery power issues.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I just saw and answered your PM. A couple of extra comments on the specifics you raise here...

30k uses the same base as 20s. If you know someone who can loan you the main module it will be easy for you to test.

The 20s popcorn, in my experience, was with 3 or 4 BT intercom connections. I never had it with A2DP, even if there were 2xA2DP devices going. As mentioned in PM, 30k has been popcorn-free for me in mesh intercom mode (groups up to 5 or so, all mesh) but exposed to 20s-like popping with a BT intercom daisy chain.

30k battery life got MUCH better 2 or 3 updates ago. It is still less than 20k but not painfully so.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I just saw and answered your PM. A couple of extra comments on the specifics you raise here...

30k uses the same base as 20s. If you know someone who can loan you the main module it will be easy for you to test.

The 20s popcorn, in my experience, was with 3 or 4 BT intercom connections. I never had it with A2DP, even if there were 2xA2DP devices going. As mentioned in PM, 30k has been popcorn-free for me in mesh intercom mode (groups up to 5 or so, all mesh) but exposed to 20s-like popping with a BT intercom daisy chain.

30k battery life got MUCH better 2 or 3 updates ago. It is still less than 20k but not painfully so.
Well, I have found two things about the 30K. First, people now seem to like it for bike-to-bike communications. Second, I can not find anyone anywhere that claims the 30K will work with a Freewire. When chatting with a Sena rep, he said that it worked in one breath and in the next breath he said the Freewire may be better after another firmware revision on the 30K. I am still half tempted to buy a 30K to test but some people have had issues getting Sena to issue RMAs for credit when does not work. Sierra offers a refund if I return it within 5 days, but Sena offers a 30 day return period. I'm afraid I would not be able to figure out if it works in 5 days. :serious:

Update: I just spoke with a tech at Sierra and he said that the Freewire will work with a 30K when using BT intercom mode. He said it will not work in mesh intercom mode. His claim was the 30K has no real advantage for users who have a Freewire. If I was assured that Sena would fix this problem in a reasonable period of time, I'd go ahead and buy the 30K to try and get a better connection to my Zumo which has a significant amount of noise in it. However, I've never known Sena's fixes to be shipped in a "reasonable period of time." I remember waiting for multiple firmware updates on the 20S to make it usable. My guess is that the 30K/Freewire combination is not a high priority for Sena because I suspect the sales volume of the Freewire is pretty low.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Odd that the Sena rep said the 30k-Freewire connection is sketchy but the Sierra rep (who I would tend to trust) says it is fine by BT. I don't know the Freewire or even that it pairs by BT intercom mode (as opposed to another profile). It makes sense it doesn't care about or use mesh.

30k mesh intercom and 30k BT intercom and 30k other BT profiles (phone, A2DP, data, etc.) are separate and can be used concurrently

I have used mesh (4 or 5 nodes) & BT intercom (to 1 other node) concurrently. The juice from the mesh can be large but it is only there if you are riding with a bunch of other 30k users. The squeeze from a single BT intercom connection (to rider in my case, Freewire in yours?) was not noticeable.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odd that the Sena rep said the 30k-Freewire connection is sketchy but the Sierra rep (who I would tend to trust) says it is fine by BT. I don't know the Freewire or even that it pairs by BT intercom mode (as opposed to another profile). It makes sense it doesn't care about or use mesh.

30k mesh intercom and 30k BT intercom and 30k other BT profiles (phone, A2DP, data, etc.) are separate and can be used concurrently

I have used mesh (4 or 5 nodes) & BT intercom (to 1 other node) concurrently. The juice from the mesh can be large but it is only there if you are riding with a bunch of other 30k users. The squeeze from a single BT intercom connection (to rider in my case, Freewire in yours?) was not noticeable.
The Sena rep may have been just fishing for a solution. I had referred him to people on their (Sena's) forums that were having problems with the 30K and the Freewire and he had no real answer except another possible firmware update.

The Freewire pairs with the headset as a phone. That is both an A2DP and a HFP bluetooth connection and from my perspective should be completely independent of the intercom mode. However, I have no idea what kind of software magic Sena did to get the bluetooth multitasking to work. I'm just really uncertain as to how the headset would work paired to a phone as "phone 1" and not work paired to a Freewire as "phone 1." It would seem that both devices would use the same connections.

The Sierra tech asked me specifically what problems I had heard of with the 30K and the Freewire. I told him that there were reports of the intercom and phone connections failing when the Freewire connected to the headset. That was when he told me that things worked fine if the headset did not have mesh networking turned on. He said that bluetooth intercom connections worked normally, but that mesh was a no-go with the Freewire. He did not offer any technical explanation of the issue.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You might try the new firmware for the 30K. It is version 2.1. It may make things better for intercom connections. Sena now has a video showing the 30K working with the Freewire and multitasking at the same time.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30K connections

Are you using your 30K with a SM10 to connect to the bike audio system? If you are on the mesh network and you get a phone call, does your end of the phone call get transmitted over the mesh?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a pair of 30K's(one each for me and my wife) and a freewire so I can communicate over CB/listen to navi and phone.

Freewire is paired as 'phone 2'. Samsung phone is paired as 'phone 1'. Wife and I are 'in the mesh'.
I can listen,talk to all my GW audio stuff via the freewire(CB/Navi/Audio) and talk/listen to the wife via the mesh simultaneously. If something comes over the phone then that overrides everything else.(Google maps directions).
All works well since the Oct 2018 update(version 2.0)...prior to that it was 'choose one'. I updated to version 2.1 but didn't notice any change.
I have yet to attempt to add a 'group bluetooth intercom' or a 'non sena bluetooth' to the mix.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Are you using your 30K with a SM10 to connect to the bike audio system?
Not often but yes, sometimes, and it always works just fine. SM10 is paired as 30k's phone 2. My phone is phone 1.

By the way, this last weekend with my year + old 30k, I got 12+ hours of usage (mostly phone standby, about 30 min talking, and 1 hour of A2DP streaming over SM10; no intercom on my solo ride) out of 30k and battery level was still "high." Though it tends to go from "high" through medium to low to done very quickly (e.g. 20 minutes) once it does fall off.

If you are on the mesh network and you get a phone call, does your end of the phone call get transmitted over the mesh?
The phone vs. intercom thing seems to work the same way whether the intercom is mesh or BT. The incoming call trumps the intercom, then when you hang up you return to intercom or whatever else you were doing (for me, it's often FM radio on my commute). Your phone conversation is private.

I know there is a widget for sharing music over the intercom. Heck, there might even be one for sharing phone call, I don't know, but it is certainly not the default. I have not tripped over either one of them by accident.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news

It seems like if the 30K has not yet arrived, it is at least getting there. I have a ride scheduled next week, so I guess when I get back from that I'll have to get a pair so I can try them out.

I think I've heard about every scenario with these now. Some say it works fine with bluetooth intercom but not with the Freewire while others say it is fine with the mesh without the Freewire. Yet other users claim all of the intercom modes work without the Freewire but the Freewire breaks the connectivity and yet others say it all works fine. I think there are some yet-to-be-identified factors with the 30K.

A guy I found on YouTube is having lots of problems with his 30K setup and has a meeting scheduled with some Sena support people to try and narrow down the issues. From what I can tell, he is having multitasking problems with BT intercom and range problems with the mesh intercom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts