GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first tank was 33mpg. When I filled yesterday (159 miles / 5.1 gal), I was down to 31.17mpg (and I didn't even get it quite as full as I started with). Hopefully this is the bottom though. It was -15f yesterday morning going to work and only +4 on the way home. I have the windshield all the way up and was running between 75 and 83mph indicated on the freeway for most of these miles. Add to that the winter fuel blend (if there really is such a thing) and I've ended up with some pretty poor mileage. I know that others in the group have hit these numbers as well, but that's usually from playing hard. I'm actually taking it pretty easy and using the cruise once I get up to speed. I'll save any fun for this summer when the traction improves.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Better man than me. 25F is about my low limit. Snow stops me in the garage.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Ecm?

Does the engine ever heat up. maybe the ECM is just confused.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Man you are hardcore! :bow: I don't even wanna go outside when it's below
0 F this neck of the woods. Can't imagine -15F. How does it fire up when it's that cold? You'd think the battery which aint huge to begin with is less than 50% efficient at those temps. Running 0w40??

R

·
0 Posts
I have the windshield all the way up and was running between 75 and 83mph indicated on the freeway for most of these miles.
There's your problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If your riden in -15 degree weather why would you care what your gas mileage is?:bow::wrong:.
The bike is running full rich all the time cause it's freezing its ball bearings off.:22yikes:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:.

Sure seperates the weenies from the riders !! :congrats:

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Down around and below 0-deg I get 25 to 27 MPG with the Hack on in the city which is hilly with lots of stop-n-go.
The lowest MPG is caused when the Snow slows the rig down a bit. ;)

I wonder if letting you ECM set for the low temps using the reset posted many times would help, I know mine does otherwise my MPG is even worse when it gets cold and snow covered...

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have the windshield all the way up and was running between 75 and 83mph indicated on the freeway for most of these miles.

Yepp there is most of you fuel loss :shock: When you hit the Magic 3000 RPM's the wing thinks that Gas is free,,,:eek:4: Runs like a striped ape, but is thirsty..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Iron Man!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.... How does it fire up when it's that cold? You'd think the battery which aint huge to begin with is less than 50% efficient at those temps. Running 0w40??
The bike sat from 4:40am till I got off work at 5:30pm. It warmed up to about +4f. The bike started fine. If I had to guess, I would say it turned over roughly 20% slower than normal. Fuel Injection :thumbup: - my #1 reason for upgrading from the Voyager which never wanted to start when it got cold.

As far as oil goes, the previous owner didn't know what was put in it last year. I picked up some 5w-40 Shell Rotella Synth (blue) that I will put in this spring when I change the oil.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
even 0 is too cold for me

·
Registered
21,060 Posts
we should meet up and go 4 a ride sometime, but not at -15 :22yikes:

are u riding to the motorcycle show next month ?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
It isn't so much the temperature you ride at, it is more the length of time at that temperature. Spending a couple of hours running at 9 degrees at interstate speeds is much different than running twenty minutes at zero degrees...

-15? That has to be cold no matter how long you are riding :shock:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If your riden in -15 degree weather why would you care what your gas mileage is?:bow::wrong:.
The bike is running full rich all the time cause it's freezing its ball bearings off.:22yikes:
Your fleeeken nutz :a13:
Yes I would think it will run a LITTLE RICHER :roll:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
we should meet up and go 4 a ride sometime, but not at -15 :22yikes:

are u riding to the motorcycle show next month ?
A ride sounds interesting (and yes, not at -15).....anywhere in Wisconsin is probably more interesting than central MN. I had to look up where Rib Lake is. My old boss lives just outside Marshfield, so I went out to visit in '07. Went up 13 from Marshfield and came back on 8, so I probably went right by your place.

Now that I have the Wing, I'm probably going to skip the show. The only thing I really wanted to see was the new Voyager, but that can wait till they hit one of the dealers. I have ridden the bike to the show several other years.

It isn't so much the temperature you ride at, it is more the length of time at that temperature. Spending a couple of hours running at 9 degrees at interstate speeds is much different than running twenty minutes at zero degrees...

-15? That has to be cold no matter how long you are riding :shock:
Absolutely. I only have a 30 minute commute to work and 40+ minutes coming home depending on traffic. Even -15 isn't that bad if you're only out for half an hour. My electrics died on the way home Monday. I didn't have time to look into it, so I rode without them today. It was -5 this morning and around 12 on the way home. My hands were pretty cold, but it really wasn't that bad.

When I did my second SS1000 in '07, I left after work and it was 32 degrees. By Kansas City, it was down to 28 at midnight. Even with the Gerbing vest, I was shaking so bad I could barely put gas in the bike. I ended up spending 30 minutes in the gas station trying to warm up. Time in the saddle definitely trumps the temp any day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts