GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
31 degrees here in the rocky mountains this morning when I went out for my ride. So my question is how best to keep the SO warm? a one piece suit or should I try a heated jacket or liner for her. Some what skeptical of the heated option- do they really work. I would love some feedback.
Not worried about the $$$ just want her to be warm :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Man do I envy you. 104 this aft, too hot to move. Ft Collins was my home. Sure miss the mountains. You can put on enough to keep warm, but can't take off enough to keep cool. :wrong:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think the Gerbings heated jacket liner is the cat's meow for the SO. She can adjust the temp, how do you beat that? The only reason I think people don't do it is the cost. I got mine at Performance Cycle Santa Fe and C-470 in Littleton and they were great to deal with.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
31 degrees here in the rocky mountains this morning when I went out for my ride. So my question is how best to keep the SO warm? a one piece suit or should I try a heated jacket or liner for her. Some what skeptical of the heated option- do they really work. I would love some feedback.
heated liners work better than heated jackets. you can fit a liner to be snug, yet comfortable. the more contact with your body, the better the heating. a jacket just isn't as effective in this regard. I have both and much prefer a liner, whether it's a vest or a full liner.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Definitely the heated jacket liner. I have Safe N Warm, but check out Gerbings Micro Wire. They are temp neutral, so you can actually adjust the heat as the day progresses. All it takes is to use it once when you (or she) really needs it and you will understand what a great piece of equipment it is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Happy SO

Well...being from Vegas.....Yes, I do the cold....I've had the Gerbing jacket liner and glove liner for one season....yea...they work! :yes1:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yeah, the jacket liner, I meant, not a jacket. Yeah...:agree:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I Really don't care what brand you consider.
We both have Tourmaster. Jacket and Pants. Heated gear is the best thing since slice bread. She will love you for it.
Many opinions and I hope people chime in and tell you theres.
Here are mine: Long Sleeve, Chaps and Gloves. ( A Vest is not recommended) With the long sleeve Jacket it's easy to plug in the gloves.
The Wires 2:. One for you and 1 for her attach to the battery. You can tuck then under the seat areas when not in use.
Tourmaster has the controller attached to the jacket so there are no other special adapter that go to the bike.
Others may have similar set up now.......... Yes it's kinda spendy but well worth it if you get cold. Google Tourmaster.com they may have a video. I remember seeing one on a Vendor site..
Get'er done it will make your day.

David
HondaMortch

·
Banned
350 Posts
Gerbing - I rode through Vail pass in May and it was 22°F (as measured by the WIng's Air Temp) at 80mph I was wearing my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves running on high but I was warm.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I don't know anyone with haeated outerwear, although Gerbings does make such a thing. What they call a 'jacket liner' is what most everyone has, even if some other brand.

I have Gerbings jacket liners and gloves for my wife and me, and they are great for keeping warm. Don't give that a second thought: They woek!

A nice feature of the Gerbings, and probably other jacket liners, is they double as nice lightweight jackets for the evening when you're off the bike. The wires zip away and the jackets are suitable for most anywhere you might want to go.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I hear ya! I was on top of Mt. Evans at 8:30am yesterday and it was, shall we say, "brisk". I'm really tempted to try some heated gear for our winter riding... just have a hard time pulling the trigger due to the cost. Whichever way you go, the key is keeping the "core" warm. Our outer gear, leather or textile, and long underwear work well for us (except for my hands). I also HIGHLY recommend one of these: http://www.schampa.com/Dickies_s/5.htm
Sealing off the neck and adding this layer to the chest really work well.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Gerbings heated micro wire jacket liner and gloves here, they work VERY well. Easy to adjust the controller for either gloves or jacket liner, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
We have Gerbing jacket liners and they work great never had to go to high with them even in the 20s. Have the pants liners on order now. BTW if you are hard to fit like us (I'm short and fat) they will custom make the liners for no additional charge. This site has several videos about Gerbing www.revzilla.com

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
<...> Some what skeptical of the heated option- do they really work. I would love some feedback.
Then buy her heated gear, and you will have no issues. Yes, they work.

Sent from a nice & warm 81 degree pre-dawn morning.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We have the Gerbings heated liners. Bought one for the wife last year, she really likes it, we left for a long weekend on Oct 18th it was 38 degrees, she didn't say a thing about being cold, I had so many clothes on I couldn't hardly move so I bought one. We were in Co in June this year it was 43 degrees every morning and when we rode 550 it was 34 degrees when we went through Silverton, really liked the liners then. You do need to buy the temp controllers otherwise they are way to hot to run without them.
Wish I were in Co now

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My wife has a Gerbing's jacket and I have a Warm & Safe. We both love 'em and we're never without them. The heated jackets serve to keep you warm when you need it and as merely a light jacket liner to keep the cool breeze out when the temperatures are moderate, like when starting out in the morning and it's only 50 degrees out. Very versatile. We're never without the heated stuff as you just never know.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Definately get some heated gear of some type. I can't tell you how many years I rode without heated gear. If I had to start all over again, of all my accessories, the very first thing I would purchase would be heated gear.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts