GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed a front E4 with 1/32” in the middle today. Put a used 5/32” on for him (fixed income-free tire-checked good-date stamp 2218) Planning a trip around the lake (yup-Superior) and the rear Bridgestone has 2/32”. Told him he should put on that rear (rim with E4 mounted) he just picked up from a trike shop.

I’m going to Rockies Gold and I will be on fresh triple 8’s, yup I run em’ all the time. My used ones can be put back on at home to run around with and wear out locally.

How low do want to let your tread depth get before you change em’? I know we can be surprised sometimes and end up less than we want, but generally, what’s your standard minimum.??

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Changed a front E4 with 1/32” in the middle today. Put a used 5/32” on for him (fixed income-free tire-checked good-date stamp 2218) Planning a trip around the lake (yup-Superior) and the rear Bridgestone has 2/32”. Told him he should put on that rear (rim with E4 mounted) he just picked up from a trike shop.

I’m going to Rockies Gold and I will be on fresh triple 8’s, yup I run em’ all the time. My used ones can be put back on at home to run around with and wear out locally.

How low do want to let your tread depth get before you change em’? I know we can be surprised sometimes and end up less than we want, but generally, what’s your standard minimum.??
2/32"

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I usually change when the wear is into the wear bars, how may ever 32s that is on what ever tire. I have changed earlier and even with cords revealed.

prs

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Tires seem to wear a lot faster when they get closer to the wear bars. may have something to due to increased heating of the rubber.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts

Just before Wear bars and that's it for me

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Depends if I'm at home getting ready for a trip or on a trip hoping they will make it home....

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
It depends on the tire brand, but I can usually tell if my tires are needed when my *ss end slips out a little on turns.

Her is what the Owner's Manual says.

MINIMUM TREAD DEPTH: Front: 1.5 mm (0.06 in) Rear: 2.0 mm (0.08 in)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And then there’s the guy that brought his bike down to me thinking he had a leaky rear tire. The cords were showing 1/2 of the way around the tire center. AND he was an Armour All user on his bike tires. Talk about hard to get off. You could stand on the sidewall of the dismounted tire and it wouldn’t flex. Thought I saved a picture but it’s gone. Stem was leaking.

I see a lot of very old tire up here.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have always been more concerned with how even the wear was around the tire rather than tread depth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts