GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this should be in the tech section, but anyway...

Some RV's and cars use that clear 3M thin film protective covers, especially for the noses of their vehicles. Has anyone tried that on a Wing?

I remember reading a couple of years ago about some (equivalent?) stuff like that that was already cut for the Wings. Does anyone have a linke, or at least a phrase I can use to Google it?

Better yet, has anyone actually used the stuff and care to make a report here about it, please?

Thanks.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
A lot of the trike kits have them on the front of the rear fender for protection.....works great.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got a 3/4 wide inch roll from my local auto paint supply store, they had to order it. It is expensive, but you can share with other wing owners like I did and split the cost. We used it on the trunk lid where it rubs. I wish I had put it on before the paint rubbed through.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I use it on my Malibu Ski boat on the Transom. It prevents the skis and boards from nicking the gelcoat when someone is putting on the board and starts to slide around back there.
Stuff works great, but as said it aint cheap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have put it on all my bikes like the fog lights and lower cowl trunk edges I have a 12" & 6" roll from 3M. Takes a little finesse to put on or get use to but it works great. I have lots left over...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try Stickercity.com
Have used their product and liked it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
There is a guy on the trike GWRRA board that owns a printing business in Florida. He has something like the 3M and sells it cheap. You can order it what ever size you want. I bought it for Holly's trike fenders. Holly has over 20,000 miles using this plastic with no problems.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I don't have any on the new 07....yet.
I had a few strategically placed pieces on the 02
and they lasted very well over the years.
I got mine form a local vinyl sign shop here in Ohio.
I did put a few thousand feet (seemed like that much)
all over the front of my Toyota Tundra,
and that worked out very well. It's kept the paint chips to
almost zero for about 7 years now and the stuff still looks good.
It comes in various thicknesses from about 4 mil to 12 mil If I remember right.
I suggest at least an 8 mil.
Practice putting some on before doing the high visibility pieces. :)
DC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.