GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Questions:

I recently purchased two flags that I mounted on either side of the trunk of my 1800. The vendor states that the mounts for those flags are sufficiently strong enough to hold up to highway speeds. Within a few weeks the mounts had realigned themselves to about a 45 degree angle pointing backwards. When I contacted the vendor I was told that I must have placed the mounts without suffienctly cleaning the trunk. I have a hard time with this statement, the vendor does not know me and has no idea as to how much time and money I spend on my Wing. I was told to send them $6 (chump change) and they would send me two strips of 3M Scotch VHB double sided Tape. The problem for me is that if it did not hold up the first time why should I believe it will hold up the second time.

Can anyone provide me with alternative solutions?

Second question:

The chrome on the passenger armrest (Kuryakyn) is coming off!! Besides buying new ones do I have another option available to me? (doing nothing is not an option). :22yikes:

·
Registered
19,898 Posts
The chrome on the passenger armrest (Kuryakyn) is coming off!! Besides buying new ones do I have another option available to me? (doing nothing is not an option). :22yikes:
My first suggestion on that one would have been, "don't buy Kuryakyn", but it's too late for that. You will probably have to contact Kury directly for a replacement, because many vendors have stopped exchanging Kury stuff because of all their chrome problems. Problem is, the new one will probably peel too.

When I contacted the vendor I was told that I must have placed the mounts without suffienctly cleaning the trunk. I have a hard time with this statement, the vendor does not know me and has no idea as to how much time and money I spend on my Wing.
You are being defensive. It isn't a matter of them thinking they know your habits as much as it is a matter of them knowing their products.

Scotch VHB is the stuff that the car manufacturers use to put badges and molding on their cars. It is also what the aftermarket company's use to hold sunroof deflectors in place. It is incredibly strong. If applied correctly, it should be able to hold a flag mount in place. So they may be correct. You did not clean well enough. And by clean, they mean dirt. You also have to remove wax and any other coatings. Clean the area with alcohol at least twice, maybe more if you wax often.

Personally, I don't mount anything on my bike with tape or velcro.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Kuryakin has a replacement policy and that is if within 1 year, they will replace it free, less shipping and handling fees.

Then, wax the heck out of them continuiously. It is cheap chrome but waxing does help

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
VHB is designed for automotive moldings and really doesn't have the shear strength require to sustain a bond when the wind is trying to "lever off" the flagpole IMHO.. Poor design, try a clamp on model..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store or bodyshop and ask for some 3M double sided tape. $6 will get you a whole roll. The good stuff will be grey in color.

I

·
0 Posts
Two Questions:

I recently purchased two flags that I mounted on either side of the trunk of my 1800. The vendor states that the mounts for those flags are sufficiently strong enough to hold up to highway speeds. Within a few weeks the mounts had realigned themselves to about a 45 degree angle pointing backwards. When I contacted the vendor I was told that I must have placed the mounts without suffienctly cleaning the trunk. I have a hard time with this statement, the vendor does not know me and has no idea as to how much time and money I spend on my Wing. I was told to send them $6 (chump change) and they would send me two strips of 3M Scotch VHB double sided Tape. The problem for me is that if it did not hold up the first time why should I believe it will hold up the second time.

Can anyone provide me with alternative solutions?

Second question:

As for your flag poles, use clamp on mounts on a trunk rack. Don't have a trunk rack? consider one. I like the tubular types. (Big Bike etc) Light weight, easy to fasten stuff to.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Next time try heating the 3M tape with a blow dryer before mounting on your bike. I would not use the blow dryer directly on the Wing because the heat might damage the paint.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Second question:

The chrome on the passenger armrest (Kuryakyn) is coming off!! Besides buying new ones do I have another option available to me? (doing nothing is not an option). :22yikes:[/quote

Kuryakyn replaced mine after showing them to rep at bike week.They were out of warranty and I had no paper work.They have a one year warranty.Try calling them,never know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking for your advice and that's exactly what I got!!

Thanks for your help:bow:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Flagpole Options

As for your flag poles, use clamp on mounts on a trunk rack. Don't have a trunk rack? consider one. I like the tubular types. (Big Bike etc) Light weight, easy to fasten stuff to.
Another option is to use the flag holders from Show Chrome that mount on the antennas. They also fold down like the antenna when you want to cover the Wing.

One source is at http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/251_Flags_Flagpoles/2387_Fold_Down_Antenna_Mount_Flag_Pole_w_Flag/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/251_goldwing_Flags_Flagpoles/des/?page=2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts