GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage to be gained safety-wise by installing the 5.30-12 tires in place of OEM 4.80-12?

I "assume" the smaller tires were OEM because of unit cost, but I am wondering if the slightly larger tire would be safer to run and more durable.

I do note that both sizes can be obtained in a 6 ply rating.

Thoughts appreciated.

TIM

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Is there any advantage to be gained safety-wise by installing the 5.30-12 tires in place of OEM 4.80-12?

I "assume" the smaller tires were OEM because of unit cost, but I am wondering if the slightly larger tire would be safer to run and more durable.

I do note that both sizes can be obtained in a 6 ply rating.

Thoughts appreciated.

TIM
I don't plan on putting more than 140 lbs max of storage in my trailer. How much tire do you need for that little weight? But to answer your question, I would think the larger tire would make sense and probably, as you said, it was a unit cost consideration on the initial stock tire. If I change out, I will go with the larger tire.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have two trailers, both with 12 inch wheels. One has the 4.80 X 12 a bias ply six ply tire. Works, is pretty cheap tire, not much for quality, but gets the job done. The other trailer has a 5.60 X 12 radial that used to come on a small Honda car. That is 5 times the quality of a tire. Runs cooler even when carrying more weight (used an IR remote indicating temp gun), and has quite a bit less bounce. Both are mounted on tubeless rims and have the steel valves in place of the pull thru rubber jobs that like to give up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts