GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder ... the failure rate on aftermarket alternators and starters is extremely high. This guy bought 2 from Amazon and 2 from J&P cycles, and all 4 failed. The ones from eBay offers similar results.

The only ones that have OEM quality come in Honda packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
You would think after the first one failed that he would have learned a lesson. He had it coming to him on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th try. Some people are just a glutton for punishment.

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would think after the first one failed that he would have learned a lesson. He had it coming to him on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th try. Some people are just a glutton for punishment.
I always feel that way too when advising another member to not waist their time and money, but they'll go the cheaper route first, anyway. For me I get a chuckle out of it, as well as the voice in my heads will say ... "I told you so" ... hehehe :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me to ordered from eBay 8 months later it went bad came from DB electrical out of Tennessee so I got a low mileage one off eBay,original equipment for 85$ we’ll see how it last ,got 78k from original alternator,

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I have 143K on my original 07. I now carry a rebuilt from Ken Heming(spelling?) in my side bag just in case, with tools to swap it out on the road. Made a 5K tour in Sept. with the spare and of course I did not need it LOL.

Fred

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Alternator

I have 143K on my original 07. I now carry a rebuilt from Ken Heming(spelling?) in my side bag just in case, with tools to swap it out on the road. Made a 5K tour in Sept. with the spare and of course I did not need it LOL.

Fred
Just out of curiosity, why don't you install the rebuilt alternator and stop carrying it in your saddle bag? You are not likely to wear out the new alternator before you trade off the bike even if you install it now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I learned my lesson the hard way. Went with a rebuilt and it lasted just past the one year warranty period. OEM is the only way to go!!! Live and learn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts