GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in stage two planning for another IBA ride. In all my research, I cannot determine if there is a gas station/LoafnJug/Quick Trip etc. on US64 from the Arizona state line to Teec Nos Pos or US160 to the Colorado state line. It is necessary to get a cash register reciept with all the goodies in this short loop to get credit for Arizona. It also looks like it may be night time in that area.

Too many of my IBA attempts have failed because my lack of attention to detail. All the excuses in the world doesn't put the Certificate on the wall. I truely respect the IBA for being so picky, because when I see an IBA tag holder, I know it was earned.

If anyone can fill me in on this little part of Arizona, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
David if I understand your question correctly there is no gas station from Tec Nos Pos north on 160 towards four corners. You will have to head north towards cortez to get gas South from Tec on 64 I believe you'll have to get into New Mexico before you'll see anything. There is a little town, mostly just a school not far into n.mexico on 64 called Beclabito it will have gas and of course Shiprock is not too much farther

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A birds eye view on Google Earth tells me that the safest bet would be to stay on I-40 to Lupton, Az, get my reciept for Az, backtrack to US481 north to Cortez and continue on. Seems there is plenty of gas around the area, but getting a reciept around Teec Nos Pos at night just won't happen. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When we were out there last fall we stopped at Tec Nos at a little station/grocery store. So there is something there but I'm sure it won't be open all night. I would guess the nearest gas is in Kayenta,AZ or Ship Rock, NM.
You have to remeber that everything out that way is on "Indian Time" !!! LOL. It doesn't matter what time zone you are in to them, they have their own way of keeping time in that area.
Good luck on the plan.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
You have to remember that everything out that way is on "Indian Time" !!! LOL. It doesn't matter what time zone you are in to them, they have their own way of keeping time in that area.
This comment brought to you from the great state of Oklahoma, where "Indian Time" is a way of life! Over fifty tribes have called the Sooner state home; some by choice, others, by the choice of the federal government. :roll:

Dealing with the locals is a part of the nomadic life we choose to live while on two wheels. :doorag: The original poster got some good information - yes, that corner of Arizona is desolate. Those who plan accordingly will be rewarded with a terrific ride.

·
Registered
243 Posts
"Those who plan accordingly will be rewarded with a terrific ride."

Ken, I agree whole heartedly. I didn't mean that comment in a negative way.
Just a quick explination about my comment. As we traveled from east to west across that part of the country we never really knew what the local time was. It changed on us 2 or 3 times a day it seemed. We just rode most days til sundown and then figured out what time it really was when we got to the room. Going from CA, NV, UT, and into AZ it changed every few hours. Up around the Four Corners area we noticed that everyone there was just like us (on my so-called Indian Time) and just doing what they do in a kicked-back way living by the sun.
Our trip out your way was one of the most enjoyable we have taken and intend to be back and do the south side of I40 on another trip.
So, what I should have said was just throw your watches in the trunk, slow down and look around, and enjoy one of the prettiest parts of the country. :thumbup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it looks like I've all got the plans in order and ready to proceed. I believe I'll send PODO and Pingjockey the S&T files for their inspection and comments. I go the hospital on tuesday the 3rd for an injection in C-3 and C-4 to help out my neck, and then see about weather information on the roads in the northwest higher elevations.

I've been livin' on "Tulsa Time" for 60 years, but I'm also quarter Cherokee and "Indian Time" is by far the best! I appreciated and enjoyed the humor.

This little sojourn to circumambulate the 48 states in ten days or less will encompass 8560 miles, 6 days, 12 hours, and 26 minutes as planned on S&T, which will allow 3.5 days for the unexpected. I will begin and end the ride at the Owasso Firestation, and will take as many pictures as time and fatique will allow. I have polished my "Gremlin Bell" to a high shine and anticipate no problems on my fantastic Gold Goldwing. I'll post again when the departure time is certain.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Best wishes from one Sooner to another. And, I might add, from one part Cherokee to another. I also enjoyed to humor in a past post.

Return safe David.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts