GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 4 flat pin connector on my 2003 ABS wing. Newly purchased but old trailer has 6 round pins connector. How do I connect them both together? PO of the trailer has installed new LED lights but I am not sure if the job was finished. It has a dome light that I'd like to keep.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Confused. Pic shows a six pin tow vehicle side and the four pin trailer side.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read all the threads I could find but I have trouble locating these specific connectors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Confused. Pic shows a six pin tow vehicle side and the four pin trailer side.
I am confused myself. I just realised that my bike purchased recently has male 4 flat connector instead of female. The trailer has 6 pin round connector. I guess if I get proper isolating harness i can get rid of that 4 flat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Snow is coming so you have all winter to make this right.

Recommend a removal of harness currently on the Wing and installing new, isolated plug n play harness with five or six conductors. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/201-inventors-hobby-shop/431273-c31-breakout-harness.html

Use the vehicle side plug of your preference. then remove the harness from the trailer in its entirety. Salvage lights only if they are truly new LED. Otherwise, if it's old, get it off.

Properly done new for reliability and confidence.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also found this at the back of the bike but it was disconnected from the battery and back wires were cut. is that actually an insolator? Should've taqken a picture when stiil on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If your bike has that 4 pin male connector on it, it is absolutely the wrong gender, vehicle side should have female sockets for the powered circuits and a male pin for the ground, that connector needs to go.

If the PO had a trailer that needed a 4 pin harness then there must be a 5 wire to 4 wire converter somewhere, hopefully it is also an isolation unit.

If you want to stay with the 4 wire set up, you need to change the male connector to a female and rewire the trailer using a 4 pin male and set up the brake and turn signal lights to "share" so they act as both brake and turn signals.

If you want to stay with the 6 pin connector on the trailer you will need to install a 5 way isolation trailer harness and figure out which pin in the 6 way on the trailer does what.

The link that Andy pointed you to is for bikes from 2006 to 2017, I am trying to get additional information on earlier 1800s to see if my system will also work on them, but I need a "donor" bike or someone willing to do some digging around.

Mountain rider has agreed to do that, just need so input from him.

Keep us posted on how you plan to go forward.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to investigate further what I have on the bike when comes to the wiring. If I uset this adapter is there potential to damage bike side electrics? I have no idea what to expect from having male connector on the bike side.

Long term, it makes sense what Andy said about starting with a new harness, etc but I need a trailer to be able to use the bike for work. I was hoping to do that before it gets too cold to ride.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I also found this at the back of the bike but it was disconnected from the battery and back wires were cut. is that actually an insolator? Should've taqken a picture when stiil on the bike.

That is a homemade Isolator but I would be very wary of using that. If it were me, I would remove that.

I would suggest purchasing a new Isolator harness for the bike. Some will tell you it's not necessary to separate trailer wiring from bike wiring. But... many isolators are plug and play and will work well for you. It will give you the 5 wires you will need for the trailer. Your trailer will need a ground wire, left turn signal wire, right turn signal wire, running light wire, and finally the brake light wire. As far as the dome light, it will most likely receive power from the center pin on the trailer plug. That is the most common. I would suggest getting a 6 pin round vehicle side socket and wire the 5 wires to the corresponding outside pins and then you need a 12v supply to the center. If you run a wire directly from the battery, which would be fine, make sure to put an inline fuse on it.

And just to add, trying to rig your flat 4 pin will not work. If you have something else that needs a 4 flat, it is possible to rig something from the 6 pin round to 4 flat but for 4 flat to 6 pin round, it would be more problems than its worth...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your bike has that 4 pin male connector on it, it is absolutely the wrong gender, vehicle side should have female sockets for the powered circuits and a male pin for the ground, that connector needs to go.

If the PO had a trailer that needed a 4 pin harness then there must be a 5 wire to 4 wire converter somewhere, hopefully it is also an isolation unit.

If you want to stay with the 4 wire set up, you need to change the male connector to a female and rewire the trailer using a 4 pin male and set up the brake and turn signal lights to "share" so they act as both brake and turn signals.

If you want to stay with the 6 pin connector on the trailer you will need to install a 5 way isolation trailer harness and figure out which pin in the 6 way on the trailer does what.
Keep us posted on how you plan to go forward.
Mike, I am resurrecting this last year's thread since finally I got some space in my garage to work on the bike. I would like to order your setup for a 2003 with the break-out wiring. However I am even more confused with the connectors. I'd like to keep my trailer wiring 6 wire since LED lights are brand new. However from what I am reading the trailer should have a female connector not a male as it has currently? That's in addition to the wrong plug on my bike. If I get your isolator then I just need to add an appropriate connector?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
you should be able to find the adapter at your local auto part supplier. Looking at the wiring and all the gadgetry, I would tear it all out and do a total rewiring with leds. What i'm seeing is a nightmare and short waiting to happen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just do it the easy way. Put a round 6 pin on both the bike and the trailer. No need to mess with adapters. Just one more thing to cause problems. I have never had good luck with the flat 4 connectors, so that was the first thing to go on my trailer. I did this with my 2012 and Roll A Home trailer.

You hook up the isolator to the bike. There will be wire ends that go to the female socket. Just cut off the 4 wire plug on the trailer and put the 6 wire male on that. I put the bike socket on the rear fender.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Mike, I am resurrecting this last year's thread since finally I got some space in my garage to work on the bike. I would like to order your setup for a 2003 with the break-out wiring. However I am even more confused with the connectors. I'd like to keep my trailer wiring 6 wire since LED lights are brand new. However from what I am reading the trailer should have a female connector not a male as it has currently? That's in addition to the wrong plug on my bike. If I get your isolator then I just need to add an appropriate connector?
I sent you a Private Message with my email address, that will make it easier to swap photos and get to the root of the issues.
My recommendation is to remove all of the existing wiring on the bike that is related to the trailer harness and install a new set up, be it mine or someone else's.
I do have a working design for a break out for the earlier 180 Goldwings, my system is all plug and play and I will build the system to suit your needs or desires. The 6 pin connector you show in the first post is normally installed on the tow vehicle as shown by Snowmoer in post 14. I would recommend removing the 6 pin round from the trailer and replace it with a proper 6 pin trailer side connector. If you want to order my set up I can provide the system with the proper 6 pin vehicle side connector and also provide the mating trailer side connector for you to install to the trailer. Doing what I recommend will allow you to pull other trailers that have similar connectors and conversely allow others with similar connectors pull your trailer if that need ever arises.
PM me and we can work out the details.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just do it the easy way. Put a round 6 pin on both the bike and the trailer. No need to mess with adapters. Just one more thing to cause problems. I have never had good luck with the flat 4 connectors, so that was the first thing to go on my trailer. I did this with my 2012 and Roll A Home trailer.

You hook up the isolator to the bike. There will be wire ends that go to the female socket. Just cut off the 4 wire plug on the trailer and put the 6 wire male on that. I put the bike socket on the rear fender.

View attachment 373788
that's look nice and neat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts