GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Shoei RF1000 full face as well as a Shoei RJ-Air 3/4 helmet. In a span of three years I went from riding nothing to a Honda Elite 80 scooter, to a Helix 250 scooter, to a Shadow 750, and now a Goldwing GL1800. I used to use the 3/4 on the scooters and then went full face when I bought the Shadow. When it was time to buy a headset, I started doing some checking around. I asked J&M what kind of helmets their Goldwing owners were having equipped with headsets, and they said that 4 out of 5 were using 3/4 helmets (not full face). I also got the same response from my local Honda dealer when I asked him what kind of helmets Goldwing riders were buying. I was planning to use the full face helmet with the Goldwing and am now wondering if that's the right choice. I know it's ultimately my decision for my own reasons, but I am curious if it's true that so many Goldwing riders prefer the 3/4 instead of the full face, and if so, why. Even the brochures from Honda seem to show two riders wearing 3/4 helmets with headsets. I own both and can go either way, but would like to hear some feedback. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,470 Posts
I rented a couple of 50cc scooters in San Francisco. I still wore a full-face. My fiance' asked? Do we really need full-face on a scooter? I said, "Do you think you're less likely to land on your chin crashing a scooter?" She grabbed a full-face too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,678 Posts
I use the Nolan N-102 flip-face helmet...3/4 when I want it to be...full-face when I want it to be...best of both worlds... :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Like DUH

If you like your face..............and having one..........you will learn to ONLY ride with a full face helmet. All the gear All the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Like DUH

FRISKY said:
If you like your face..............and having one..........you will learn to ONLY ride with a full face helmet. All the gear All the time.
I agree with the opinions on the full face helmets. I found it interesting that J&M and Honda both told me that 4 out of five Goldwing riders are using the 3/4 helmets and I am interested in hearing why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I wear a 3/4 most of the time. I have full face ones along on longer trips, more for bad weather riding....that stuff stings the face!. You will find opinions will run the full gamet.....One guy wants to save his chin while riding with a t/shirt and tennis shoes, one guy will go a 1/2 helmet with full leathers, gloves, boots, etc. The best answer is - do what you find most comforable for you and have a ball!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
rbenko said:
I was planning to use the full face helmet with the Goldwing and am now wondering if that's the right choice.
You bring up an interesting point that begs the question, on what criteria are you basing the "right choice"? Safety? Comfort? Some odd uniform code?

A while back my wife and I were riding through Texas on our Goldwing. We were both wearing our mesh armor pants and jackets, Frank Thomas boots, full face helmets, and hydration packs. We stopped for gas and a couple in a car pulled up to the pump next to us. The guy made chit-chat while I was filling up. As I was putting the nozzle away he suddenly asked, "Whats with all the gear? You're riding a Gold Wing, not a sport bike."

I didn't know what to say so I just grinned. My guess is that he doesn't ride.

What ever your motivation, wear what works for you. At least 4 out of 5 wingers won't be paying your hospital bills.

I wear the full face for comfort. It keeps the windburn to a minimum and bugs bounce of the face shield instead of my cheeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Re: Like DUH

FRISKY said:
If you like your face..............and having one..........you will learn to ONLY ride with a full face helmet. All the gear All the time.
I like my face, and still have one after 46 years of riding with no helmet, 1/2 helmet, and 3/4 helmet, it's a matter of personal choice. That said, I know full face offers more protection, I just don't like the feeling of having my head in a box, personal choice. I sometimes ride in a t shirt and tennis shoes, once again, personal choice.
 

·
Chard Member
Joined
·
12,778 Posts
I wear a 3/4 or shorty. I'm trying to learn to wear a flipper, but I can see I won't be wearing it above 80 degrees. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Shorty 1/2 = 95% of the time 3/4= 5% of the time. 8)
 
  • Like
Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,107 Posts
I have 3 KBC 3/4 helmets and had worn them for the past two years. Several months ago, I had a close call which for me was a wake up call. In 1981, I had a bad motorcycle accident and if I had not been wearing a FF helmet, I wouldn't be here now.

Because of that "close call," I now wear a Shoei Multitec flip-front. This summer when it get's REALLY hot here in Florida, I'll probably wear the KBC,but for now I'm enjoying the Shoei.

Wear what you feel comfortable with and what is comfortable on your head. Something is better than nothing, but for the best protection, wear a full face helmet.

My $.02...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
FF for me til it starts getting hot. Then I go to the 3/4 with a face shield that comes down low but it allows some air to come up under the face shield. And yes I'm guilty of wearing a half-helmet when it gets 90+ degrees with high humidity. Yes I know how dangerous it is and what I should do. But then if you always did what you know to be safest you wouldn't be riding a motorcycle now would you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,260 Posts
I have 3 - 4 helmets... probably more than that. :clap2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dorian_Blue said:
You bring up an interesting point that begs the question, on what criteria are you basing the "right choice"? Safety? Comfort? Some odd uniform code?
What I'm looking for is the best "balance" when you consider everything. When you look at all of the possible attributes (e.g. safety, comfort, freedom, etc.), every person will rank them differently as far as personal importance. If I wear a full face helmet, it's going to be a little difficult to take advantage of that new drinkholder I just bought, or to talk to someone in the car next to me when I'm stopped at a red light. I'm interested in getting feedback about these kinds of things so I could decide how important they are in the big picture. If the absolute only thing you should should consider is safety, then a full face makes sense. But if you want some degree of safety and some degree of flexibility to take advantage of other things, then other types of helmets make sense. I guess what I'm interested in hearing is, what types of things can you do with a 3/4 that you would not be able to do with a full face. Taking a drink and talking to others around you are two things that come to mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
For years i wore a 3/4 with the fixed face sheild, hot in the summer and cold in winter. I learned to ride in Ill. no helmet law. I was in the AF and on base required a helmet off base didn't. I now have a Fulmer flip face which i like when it is cold but i still have the 3/4 for summer. As said in earlier any helmet is better than none.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,107 Posts
rbenko said:
What I'm looking for is the best "balance" when you consider everything. When you look at all of the possible attributes (e.g. safety, comfort, freedom, etc.), every person will rank them differently as far as personal importance. If I wear a full face helmet, it's going to be a little difficult to take advantage of that new drinkholder I just bought, or to talk to someone in the car next to me when I'm stopped at a red light. I'm interested in getting feedback about these kinds of things so I could decide how important they are in the big picture. If the absolute only thing you should should consider is safety, then a full face makes sense. But if you want some degree of safety and some degree of flexibility to take advantage of other things, then other types of helmets make sense. I guess what I'm interested in hearing is, what types of things can you do with a 3/4 that you would not be able to do with a full face. Taking a drink and talking to others around you are two things that come to mind.
That's precisely why I chose a flip-front helmet. I wanted quality, but also comfort and flexibility. The Shoei fit my head the best and the flip-front offered the flexibility. When I come to a stop, I can flip up the front of the helmet to take a drink, wipe my eyes, sneeze, etc...

Going down the road, if it's safe to do so, I can flip up the helmet with one hand, take a drink and flip the helmet back down.

Love my Shoei Multitec!
 

·
Squating Member
Joined
·
7,058 Posts
4 out of 5 Wing riders, not 4 out of 5 board members....

I have a 7 helmets in the garage....we wear what's comfortable, I have 3 shorties, 3 3/4 and one flip face.

We either wear the shorty or 3/4 with headsets on the wing....I'll take the flip on trips ( weather helmet).....

I know a FF is best for protection, but heck, not riding at all is even better as for protection.....

DO what YOU think is best for you...I'll do the same....

Be safe all
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top