GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
KYBLUE said:
DO what YOU think is best for you...I'll do the same....

Be safe all
Ahhh, a breath of fresh air! :capwin:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you think "bad weather" stings the face, just try a face plant and see if that stings! ATGATT :yes:

·
Registered
554 Posts
chrisashbrook said:
KYBLUE said:
DO what YOU think is best for you...I'll do the same....

Be safe all
Ahhh, a breath of fresh air! :capwin:
+1 million

i have all 3 different helmets and wear them as i see fit.
not like if i hit the ground i could get any more scary looking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,663 Posts
Re: Like DUH

FRISKY said:
If you like your face..............and having one..........you will learn to ONLY ride with a full face helmet. All the gear All the time.
+1

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm a huge fan of FF ....had I had a 3/4 or 1/2 my chin would be gone , this is carbon fibor mind you.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
i have a 3/4 but looking for a full face next year as my helmets are about 6 years old and need replacing

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
8) Good question, there are some interesting responses here. I saw something a year or so ago that was a percentage breakdown of head injuries by location in motorcycle crashes. The most frequently impacted area was to the right cheek, chin and jaw. It doesnt take much speed to do a bunch of damage. I hate the FF in the summer heat, the modular is some better, but I ride with the face shield closed for protection. I have a 3/4 Shoei, but almost never wear it.

Everyone has a different position on the matter. Everyone has a right to ride the way they choose and with the gear they want. I don't beef anyone choice of headgear. Ultimately, you make a choice, roll the dice and take your chances. Each type has upsides and downsides. Good luck with your choice...... :)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I always wear F.F. regardless of the conditions or the bike. Goldwingers similar to Cruiser types seem to hold fast to the unspoken uniform code of a 3/4 or maybe a flip worn wide open. One thing I do notice is that in Texas very few Wing riders wear Full face or gear up much at all. It may have to do with the ole "it's too hot" excuse.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, a lot of opinions and all correct for the opinion holder....

I wear full face-flip for safety and comfort. In the summer when it is HOT (read 110+), if your face is exposed to the air stream, it's like holding your head in an oven at about 425...not very comfortable - a helmet = insulation from the sun and air temps (hot and cold). Flip face for convinence, taking a drink, talking and I wear glasses. I use a hydration pack with the tube coming into the helmet if drinking while running.

Safety because I have been there and done that, crashed (a left turner) with no helmet and just don't want to or need to repeat that kind of experience.

Your mileage may vary, do what is correct for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
3/4 helmet

i have been riding since 1950 for many years with no helmet .then a 3/4 helmet . does not mean i don't like my face ,just the way i like tp ride. thats why we have this great country freedom its also why i spent many years in the navy so we could do mostly as we wish. ride long ride safely-- begins with s but its really up to u

·
Registered
280 Posts
I own the exact two helmets you do. I wear my 3/4 most of the time. FF is to hot during summer. I like the open feeling better with the 3/4. I still wish the FF was cooler because I would probably wear it more. I wear prescription glasses and if I will be riding in the dark I will take my FF. I just feel to exsposed without sunglasses, since my regular glasses don't have any protection for my eyes. I haven't found a face shield for the RJ Air yet. Maybe there is one, I haven't looked for months.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I use FF in the late fall through late spring, then I'll start using my 3/4. To hot here for the FF in the summer . :chef2:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ozarkwinguy said:
FF for me til it starts getting hot. Then I go to the 3/4 with a face shield that comes down low but it allows some air to come up under the face shield. And yes I'm guilty of wearing a half-helmet when it gets 90+ degrees with high humidity. Yes I know how dangerous it is and what I should do. But then if you always did what you know to be safest you wouldn't be riding a motorcycle now would you?
+1

Like Ozark said, if I needed to be 100% safe, I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle. Don't flame me too bad, I even ride in shorts when it gets real hot, but with a helmet...............

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Re: Like DUH

rbenko said:
FRISKY said:
If you like your face..............and having one..........you will learn to ONLY ride with a full face helmet. All the gear All the time.
I agree with the opinions on the full face helmets. I found it interesting that J&M and Honda both told me that 4 out of five Goldwing riders are using the 3/4 helmets and I am interested in hearing why.
Let me give a shot at analyzing the differences instead of giving you a personal recommendation (which you have already received plenty of).

Protection:

FF = Best protection available for a motorcyclist, including helmet frontal impact protection. Note that FF helmets are inherently heavier so they increase the likelyhood of a neck injury compared to a lighter helmet.

3/4 = Second best to a FF, lacking most any helmet frontal impact protection. I have read that 85% of M/C crashes involve a frontal imact (can't remember source, but the number sounds reasonable to me), so you will be accepting additional facial damage risk if you choose a 3/4 face helmet. On the other hand, you may reduce your risk of a neck injury due to its lighter weight.

Comfort:

FF = Warmer than 3/4 face in hot/humid weather and warmer than 3/4 face in cold weather. Less air movement over facial area which can be good or bad, depending on conditions. Some riders feel more comfortable in a FF helmet, other don't.

3/4 = Cooler than 3/4 face in hot/humid weather and cooler than 3/4 face in cold weather. More air movement over facial area which can be good or bad, depending on conditions. Some riders feel more comfortable in a 3/4 helmet, other don't.

Wind noise:

FF = Almost universally quieter than any 3/4 helmet by streamlining air flow around the bottom opening of the helmet. Allow the use of an air dam which further reduces noise. An air dam is a cloth piece that blocks air from flowing up under the chin of the rider into their face.

3/4 = Noisyier than FF. Not much can be done to reduce it due to design.

Note: It is wise to use ear plugs whether you use a FF or 3/4 helmet. Low frequency wind noise is proven to cause hearing loss over time in all motocyclists, but ear plugs can significantly reduce that damage and resultant hearing loss.

Fit:

To me, fit is the ultimate deciding factor. If a helmet does not fit your head, it will either come off in a crash or cause you constant pain to the point of destracting you from operating the bike in a safe manner and maybe cause you to crash. My recommendation is to NEVER buy a helmet if it does not fit you properly, regardless of any other factor. PERIOD!

Finish/Quality/Features:

These vary by make, model, style, etc. Although higher priced helmets are more likely to provide you higher quality, that is not always the case and should not be used as an absolute deciding factor in my opinion. I think my $79 Fulmer AF655 helmet is of similar quality to my $415 Arai SZ Ram III and they have similar features. If I had seen the Fulmer prior to buying my Arai, I would have saved a whole lot of money.

My choice is to use a 3/4 face helmet and accept the risk of facial damage if/when I am involved in a crash. I would not do well as a quadraplegic and would rather "check out", so that is what I use to justify my decision for a lighter lid. Good luck on deciding what works for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nolan flip-up unitl I just get TOO DARN HOT. Then It's my shorty, but never less. I'll wear the half-helment even in No-Helmet states. If I can ever figure out how to keep my cool in one, it would be All Nolan All The Time.
I saw a new motocross helmet advertized somewhere that had Big Freakin' Airscoops (2 or 3) on the top. It looked like the Sydney Opera House LOL! But if my brain pan stays cool in it, I'll wear it!

Sasquatch

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have a couple of relatively new 3/4 helmets along with 2 new half helmets (and the headsets) and you couldn't pay me to go back to either type of helmet while riding my Wing. IMO, they just don't offer the extent of protection that I want while riding, and definitely don't offer anywhere near the protection I want if my body and face is bouncing on the pavement. I've seen too many badly scarred helmets with deep scratches across the face area to know what that kind of impact would do to a person's face if the helmet were either the half or 3/4 and I won't go there anymore. The last time I wore my 3/4 helmet I was riding home from work on a freeway at about 70 mph and I can still recall seeing that rock fly up just above my right eye and the loud noise it made when it hit about 1 inch above my eye. There is a nice dent where that rock hit that reminds me of the strength of that impact. I came home and put that helmet back up on the peg and it's been there (along with the other 3 helmets for the past 3 years.

I don't believe that figure of 4 out of 5 Wing owners for a second. Out of hundreds of Wing owners I know, ride with, and have met, if more than 10 or 20% of them wore 3/4 or half helmets I'd be shocked. They are all full face and/or full face - flip. Now as you go east from the west coast that figure might change, just like it might be for less gear, but still I would be real surprised it would change that dramatically.

The other aspect and certainly the most important would be if that equation is true, does that make it right overall or right for you? I say, wear the kind of helmet you want on when and if you need it for the fall, impact, and/or accident. Don't go with the flow because it might be a trend or what others might be doing.

I'll recommend a full face or a full face flip helmet every time you get on the bike.

DaleC

·
Registered
103 Posts
Full face Arai all the time...just because it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn...same with my wife. What I don't understand is why some folks think their FF helmets are too hot in the summer. I think it's actually cooler when the helmet flows air well like mine and you are out of the direct sun and hot air blast. I know this from experience riding on the freeway in 110+ degree heat in the Arizona desert. Maybe it's just so frigging hot from the 150+ degree heat coming off the asphalt that the helmet is the coolest spot on the bike!..

21 - 40 of 89 Posts