GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
After hearing all of the arguments for wearing a full face helmet, and the ensuing damage to your face if you don't, I'm convinced. The only safe course of action is to leave the bike in the garage and take the truck.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Again, I say do what's best for you....but looking at the pictures of the FF helmets with damage to the front I have a question. :?:

Not trying to be a smart a%% or doubting anyone here, but would your face have sustained that same damage or did the helmet receive the damage because the front of the helmet sticks out so far? I know my FF flip protrudes a lot farther than my chin.....just wondering....

I'm sitting here in my PJ's so don't flame me to hard :lol:

We can beat this horse forever...people are going to do, wear, ride as they see fit and a lot will have to do with peer pressure or wanting to "fit " in....only time, maturing, education will change a riders outlook, then again, so will never change....but...

That is America, isn't it great!!!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
WINGEDDUC said:
The best answer is - do what you find most comforable for you and have a ball!

:yes1:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wear a 3/4 or a 1/2. The mix depends on the weather. Wind included. I haven't worn my full face in a couple years. Usually wear a mesh jacket and boots about 50% of the time. I ride every day.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ok different look at it :lol:

people that hit deer need wistles

people that hit road debris need pans

people that cant brake need abs

and people that crash need ff helmets :oops: :lol: :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
You do have a different way of looking at things yellow wolf. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's those "What if's" that get you every time. :roll:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fullface for both the wife and I. I have ridden recently with a 3/4, but that was because it's all they rented with the Goldwing in Hawaii.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Full face lids

Let me give ya some perspective from the eyes of a health care professional. I've ridden about 26 years now and have always worn FF helmets, always will. In my 8 years as an ER nurse and 3 years as a flight nurse, I've seen some knarly-ass motorcycle and race car wrecks. Trying to intubate a rider who's face is torn off from the hair-line down is not a pretty thing, if I'm able to do it at all.

You can live thru cervical fractures, broken bones, most internal injures, etc., almost everything can be skin grafted. The one thing I'm not willing to do is intentionally expose my face to the asphalt at 70 MPH...your opinion may vary. :D Been there...seen that...got the T-shirt !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found 2 models (LS2 and Shark) that are convertibles, but they rotate a full 180 degrees so you can actually ride with it up when it is hot. Easy to flip up/down even while riding. I have the LS2 but wish I had bought the Shark.

I REALLY love the flexibility of this helmet and don’t understand why more don’tdo this.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, 12 year old thread dug up...How about that search??
Full face modulars. Half and 3/4 helmets look silly and if you're going to wear a helmet wear one that really offers the most protection.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
I have always worn 3/4. Had a full face when I was young, but that was only because it was free and I couldn't afford to buy a helmet. Hated that thing. It was probably less safe than a 3/4 though because it was about one size too big and probably would have flown off in a wreck. I had to keep the strap tight because it would lift up on the freeway. Ah, the good old days.

I always figured that 3/4 was the most popular, but 4 out of 5 surprises me. Seems high, but what do I know.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Wow, a retro string...interesting to see some old names.

We both have modular helmets (also known as flip up in this string). My wife has better discipline than I do regarding keeping the chin bar down at all times (even stopped). My chinbar does not come down until about 50-60 mph. Still need to hydrate so full face is out of the question.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought a modular that would convert to a straight 3/4 helmet, after all that I use it as a full face helmet and never just as a 3/4 only. nice to put down when things start flying in your face, and no one can see you sing!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I wear Schuberth C3 Pro and HJC-I90 Modular Helmets these days

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sometimes these "Throwback Thursday" posts are good to see who is still here from the old days!

Glen

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah
I was kind-a amazed at this thread being resurrected. But, in any case, helmets, like jackets, boots, gloves, pants and all that, are VERY, VERY subjective. What works for some, might not work for others. What's comfortable on some, is or, are not comfortable on others. What one person feels is SAFE, others are just fine with other models. The wife and I have worn 3/4 helmets for years and years, we ain't dead yet! Back a few years ago, we thought we'd like some modular ones. We purchased 2, Shark EVO II models.

After it was all said and done, those two helmets cost me about $1,100 with J&M systems and all. Well, no matter how much I tried, mine was always too tight. It made me look like a chipmunk packing for winter. I went to the Shark local distributor and he allow both of us to rummage through lots of new cheek pads. He gave us a few pairs that seemed like they might work. Well, we got them home and changed things around quite a bit and to this day, I still can't wear that new Shark EVO modular. She's almost comfortable with hers and does like it in cooler weather.

But, we just recently bought two new 3/4 HJC's from J&M and had them outfitted with their top-of-the-line speaker and mic combos. Those fit PERFECTLY! We're both happy with 3/4 helmets. And, we've got two almost brand new Sharks that most likely, will die in the cabinets in the garage.
Scott

41 - 60 of 89 Posts