GL1800Riders Forums banner

4 Out of 5 Goldwing Riders Use 3/4 Helmets?

33K views 96 replies 80 participants last post by  Danl 
#1 ·
I have a Shoei RF1000 full face as well as a Shoei RJ-Air 3/4 helmet. In a span of three years I went from riding nothing to a Honda Elite 80 scooter, to a Helix 250 scooter, to a Shadow 750, and now a Goldwing GL1800. I used to use the 3/4 on the scooters and then went full face when I bought the Shadow. When it was time to buy a headset, I started doing some checking around. I asked J&M what kind of helmets their Goldwing owners were having equipped with headsets, and they said that 4 out of 5 were using 3/4 helmets (not full face). I also got the same response from my local Honda dealer when I asked him what kind of helmets Goldwing riders were buying. I was planning to use the full face helmet with the Goldwing and am now wondering if that's the right choice. I know it's ultimately my decision for my own reasons, but I am curious if it's true that so many Goldwing riders prefer the 3/4 instead of the full face, and if so, why. Even the brochures from Honda seem to show two riders wearing 3/4 helmets with headsets. I own both and can go either way, but would like to hear some feedback. Thanks.

#52 ·
I have found 2 models (LS2 and Shark) that are convertibles, but they rotate a full 180 degrees so you can actually ride with it up when it is hot. Easy to flip up/down even while riding. I have the LS2 but wish I had bought the Shark.

I REALLY love the flexibility of this helmet and don’t understand why more don’tdo this.

#53 ·
Wow, 12 year old thread dug up...How about that search??
Full face modulars. Half and 3/4 helmets look silly and if you're going to wear a helmet wear one that really offers the most protection.

#54 ·
I have always worn 3/4. Had a full face when I was young, but that was only because it was free and I couldn't afford to buy a helmet. Hated that thing. It was probably less safe than a 3/4 though because it was about one size too big and probably would have flown off in a wreck. I had to keep the strap tight because it would lift up on the freeway. Ah, the good old days.

I always figured that 3/4 was the most popular, but 4 out of 5 surprises me. Seems high, but what do I know.

#55 ·
Wow, a retro string...interesting to see some old names.

We both have modular helmets (also known as flip up in this string). My wife has better discipline than I do regarding keeping the chin bar down at all times (even stopped). My chinbar does not come down until about 50-60 mph. Still need to hydrate so full face is out of the question.

#59 ·
Sometimes these "Throwback Thursday" posts are good to see who is still here from the old days!

Glen

Reactions: Clamper
#60 ·
Yeah
I was kind-a amazed at this thread being resurrected. But, in any case, helmets, like jackets, boots, gloves, pants and all that, are VERY, VERY subjective. What works for some, might not work for others. What's comfortable on some, is or, are not comfortable on others. What one person feels is SAFE, others are just fine with other models. The wife and I have worn 3/4 helmets for years and years, we ain't dead yet! Back a few years ago, we thought we'd like some modular ones. We purchased 2, Shark EVO II models.

After it was all said and done, those two helmets cost me about $1,100 with J&M systems and all. Well, no matter how much I tried, mine was always too tight. It made me look like a chipmunk packing for winter. I went to the Shark local distributor and he allow both of us to rummage through lots of new cheek pads. He gave us a few pairs that seemed like they might work. Well, we got them home and changed things around quite a bit and to this day, I still can't wear that new Shark EVO modular. She's almost comfortable with hers and does like it in cooler weather.

But, we just recently bought two new 3/4 HJC's from J&M and had them outfitted with their top-of-the-line speaker and mic combos. Those fit PERFECTLY! We're both happy with 3/4 helmets. And, we've got two almost brand new Sharks that most likely, will die in the cabinets in the garage.
Scott

#61 ·
Any change, for me, would probably be an improvement. Never-the-less I wear full face helmets.

My wife says I'm good looking and that's even when she's looking at our bank account . . . . . . and not at my noggin!.

#62 ·
I'm guessing a lot of Goldwing riders use a 3/4 helmet because of the outstanding wind protection provided by our bikes. 3/4 helmet helps to keep you cooler.
I wore an Arai 3/4 helmet for 6 years on my first Goldwing and I loved it. I live in the high desert and it gets very hot in the summer. The helmet had great ventilation and good protection. I now use a flip face helmet but have a Bell 1/2 helmet for short rides in the heat. It depends on my riding conditions as to which helmet I wear.

#63 ·
I tried a FF last year.... for the first time............. I had claustrophobia, so bad that I ended up pulling that helmet off my face (brand new) I now wear a 3/4 100% of the time... I also am a very slow, careful rider, and never ride beyond my limit...

Ronnie

#64 ·
I don't get into telling others what safety equipment to wear...but I could post a picture of my FF helmet after my accident, with 2 severe contacts to the chin bar - 1 to the forehead- 1 to the upper rear. My experience has taught me a good lesson on what needs to be covered and where the armor should be located. You can dress for the crash....and still enjoy the ride!! To each his own...everyone has an amount of risk they're willing to accept. B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#67 ·
When I started riding 35 years ago I wore no helmet at all. Then I was hit in the face by a June bug at 60 mph, and thought I had been shot. I bought my first helmet the very next day. Most of my riding is in the warmer to hot weather, and on the Goldwing, even with Baker wings deflecting air on to me, it tends to get just too hot to be fun. While I own a full face helmet I don't think I've actually worn it in over four years. Most of the time I wear a Bell 3/4 face helmet that has a pull down clear shield and a pull down sun shade piece. In the cooler weather, such as it is right now here in northern Illinois, I wear my modular Shoei NeoTec, with the chin section down and the clear shield in the raised position. But as soon as we get back into the 80 degree or warmer part of the season, this modular helmet will only be worn when going for a longish ride where I am not sure if I will encounter rain or cooler weather. For the typical hour or two ride I will stay with the 3/4 helmet. I know that 3/4 does not provide the protection of a full face, but I have to balance that against the reality that if I feel just too damn hot I might end up not riding at all.

FWIW, last year I bought the best hot weather riding jacket that I have ever owned. It is amazing in striking the best balance of providing true crash protection while allowing massive airflow. I find I only leave it home and ride in just a t-shirt when it is really, really hot, like over 90 degrees. The jacket is the Klim Induction jacket. I've had other mesh jackets but none that are as comfortable and allow as much air flow as this one. At $350 it is not cheap, but really worth it. Now I just need to find something that I have been seeking forever: truly cool but protective summer gloves. I'm open to suggestions.

#68 ·
If you and your wife have never smacked your 3/4 helmet on the pavement and slid down the road shredding your Levis, the choices are endless. My experience, but I will never tell anyone - except my kids - what to wear, and I will never refuse to ride with you based on your choice.

Our choice is modular Nolans with J&M hard-wired comm. I never ride with the helmet flipped up, only the face shield. My wife is still gorgeous at 64 so she keeps hers down.... :D

As a side note, my mic quit working so I rode down to J&M in Tucson a couple of days ago and Pete got everything fixed in no time at no charge. Spent more time just chatting with him than it took to make the repairs. Great people there and a great excuse for a ride - even if it was all interstate... (y)

Reactions: CAWing78
#69 ·
Were it not for the protection of a full faced helmet, I would be sucking dinners through a straw for a very long time. Not sure that my smile would be all that either.

#70 ·
I too have had the privilege of being saved by my full face helmet during my younger years however, now I use a 3/4 Arai for the comfort while riding. Yes, the full face is without a doubt better protection but, we ride and that is one of the decisions we make for the privilege to ride.

#71 ·
I wear a Shoei RF1200 full face helmet. I bought a 3/4 helmet but resold it right away after one ride after feelings of fear. Wear what you want or wear nothing. Another member above posted his accident and the damage to his full faced helmet. He might not have survived with any less of a helmet?
love yours. D

#72 · (Edited)
I come the world of V-Twin cruisers and started off mostly wearing a half helmet but as the years went by I started second guessing that choice and am more of a "all the gear all of the time" kinda guy I guess. Yeah, a half or three quarter helmet is pretty darn nice when it's hot but I just feel so much more safe in a full face helmet.

I'm from Canada and we are required by law to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle and I remember the first time that I went down to Maine seeing piles of people riding around without a helmet, I thought what?! Aren't they afraid of being pulled over and given a ticket? Then it dawned on me that it's legal down there but I certainly did a few double takes until I figured it out. LOL

The closest that I would get to a 3//4 helmet is a flip-up but the apparently the manufacturers of those helmets don't guarantee that the helmet will remained closed in the event of a collision, correct me if I'm wrong here. One downside to a flip up is that they tend to be heavier than a full face helmet but that might not be the case in the more expensive flip-ups.

I'll probably look into getting a flip-up in the future if I find a deal. I did get my Arai full face at a bargain price a few years ago, they were blowing them out so my wife and I both got one and we love them! Quite lightweight and comfortable to wear and really quiet too, they also have a pretty good venting system, so for a full face helmet they are hard to beat. But the price of these helmets up here in Canada when they aren't on sale is pretty staggering.

I just cringe when I see people flying down the highway 2-up in t-shirts, cut-off jeans and wearing sandals and flip-flops!
I pray that they never go down!

As an older guy pushing 60 now I find that I'm sticking with ATGATT.

But I certainly don't have any negative views of others who chose to go with something else. It's a free country. One thing too is that most of my riding is in Atlantic Canada and we generally don't get the heat that some other places do so wearing a full face helmet and proper gear isn't usually uncomfortable, especially once you get moving out on the open road.

Be safe out there guys and all the best to all of you in the upcoming riding season.

#73 ·
I recently came from sport touring and “adventure” riding. Those groups have a lot of ATGATT zealots who insist every rider should have “Proper” gear: $1,500 riding suits, $500 boots and $800 helmets—and scoffing at anyone who doesnt dress to their level of protection.

I wear a FF helmet, because that’s what I prefer. I’m not going to judge the helmet choices of others.

#74 ·
I recently came from sport touring and “adventure” riding. Those groups have a lot of ATGATT zealots who insist every rider should have “Proper” gear: $1,500 riding suits, $500 boots and $800 helmets—and scoffing at anyone who doesnt dress to their level of protection.

I wear a FF helmet, because that’s what I prefer. I’m not going to judge the helmet choices of others.
LOL, that's just the ST rider version of the Harley pirate outfit.

(I'm gonna get hit from both sides for that one.)😋

#75 ·
Full face helmet for me....back when I was younger and rode sportbikes, I went down at 100mph and slid and rolled down the middle of the road. I was lucky...I had the gear on. I got up right up, had some road rash, but most of the first impact with the pavement was to my face... I couldn't see out of the face shield because it was so deeply scratched. Did the full face save me...most likely, but their is no doubt it saved me from disfiqurement.
I wear a full face on my Gold Wing not only for the crash protection, but you also need UV protection for your face and nose....and because for me the full face is the most comfortable helmet in any weather.

#76 ·
My wife and I both wear Shoei Neotec and Schuberth C3 Pro modular full face modular helmets. For spirited riding, I rock a Shoei RF1200 full face helmet.

Never expose your jaw (as you can see below):

#87 ·
My wife and I both wear Shoei Neotec and Schuberth C3 Pro modular full face modular helmets. For spirited riding, I rock a Shoei RF1200 full face helmet.

Never expose your jaw (as you can see below):

The good news - It looks like we have a 65.4% chance of not hitting our chin [emoji106]

I used to wear a full face helmet but just did not enjoy riding much with it (especially in heat) so I switched to a Shoei Neotec (modular).

With the modular I found myself riding with the chin bar up most of the time so I switched to a WhiteBell Mag9 - 3/4 helmet . White is a safe easy to be seen color.

With the Mag 9..I really like the big field of vision (safer), light weight, great air flow, ease of hydrating, ease of conversation, and the "on demand" weather protection of the flip down full length face shield when I hit occasional rain. Sometimes a higher level of safety can be come in the form of prevention.

The 3/4 helmet may not be the safest if I tumble but let's face it (pun intended), if we were going for the safest route none of us would be riding on two wheels and we would all be driving 55 Buicks.

Find the balance of safety, comfort, and enjoyment that works for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#77 ·
Nolan 104 modular for us. Chin bar always down... though at times my wife will raise it riding in hot weather and the traffic is slow. I admonish her about that.... I only raise mine if I have to sneeze!... sometimes I don't make it.

A few conversations I've had: One guy who told me about his experience sliding his face across the ground... and also recommending not to carry anything in your pockets you're not willing to fall on....

And an ER colleague telling me about an accident that came in one day... I asked, "How bad was it?" She said, "Well, have you heard that Billy Idol song "Eyes without a face..."

:oops:

#81 ·
A few conversations I've had: One guy who told me about his experience sliding his face across the ground... and also recommending not to carry anything in your pockets you're not willing to fall on....

:oops:
Good point that doesn't get mentioned much...I always take my keys out of my pocket and put them in the trunk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.