GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm pretty PC and MP3-literate, but a complete Newb to iPods, so I'm hoping those particularly familiar with and an Owner of iPod Nano 4th Generation player model can offer some info.

I'm considering purchase of an iPod Nano 4th Gen 8GB or 16GB player. It'll be installed on my 3rd GL1800, a soon-to-be-ordered 2009 model.

Still "on the fence" whether I'll hook the Nano up via 12V accessory socket and use the bike's AUX input, with an iJet remote, or go for the EC Adapter harness that integrates the Nano via the CD changer input.

I'll probably opt for the latter, but in either case the Nano will likely be mounted-stored-used inside the rear trunk.

Question # 1: I note the 4th Gen. Nanos have an "Accelerometer" feature whereby it will auto-shuffle through songs merely by "shaking" the unit. Can this feature be Enabled / Disabled? If not capable of being disabled, I'm wondering if "shaking" the Nano (on rough roads, etc.) will cause UNDESIRED music-track-shuffling? Any users experiencing any such problems?

Question # 2: I think I pretty much understand the purpose & function of the iTunes svc & software, that I can use for downloading or converting songs and building libraries & playlists. Most of my music collection is presently in MP3 file format and probably at pretty high level sampling compression bitrates for better audio quality. Can the 4th Gen. Nano play my MP3 songs "as is", or is it mandatory that I firstly convert all my MP3 songs to the native iPod "AAC" file format?

Question # 3: From what I've read thus far, it appears that whenever I import music tracks from the desktop PC to the Nano unit, it will "auto-synch" the entire Library on the PC to the Nano unit - thereby completely over-writing and recreating the library already previously imported onto the Nano and NOT including any songs I may have since deleted from the PC-based library itself. That's not really too much of an issue for me, because I do have oodles of free storage space on both internal and portable hard disk drives on the PC, but it seems rather constraining.

I guess the best way to phrase the question is when I am adding additional songs to the Nano unit, is it a MUST that I use the iTunes software? The home PC has Windows Vista Home Premium as its operating system. When I plug an MP3 player into a USB port on the PC, Vista automatically recognizes it as a "removable mass media storage device" and I can manually move or copy selected files at will from the PC's hard drive into the MP3 player's folder or playlist structures, using "Windows Explorer" or "My Computer". Will the Nano let me do same?

Last Question: (and apologies for being so wordy) - if anyone knows - if the EC adapter harness is used for integration of Nano via the CD Changer circuit - does the EC harness plug directly into the Nano, or does it have to be plugged into some kind of "docking unit" that comes with the Nano?

Please don't make any reference to the Microsoft "Zune" as alternative, because if I make the leap from MP3 to anything, it will definitely be an iPod, not a Zune format player.

Appreciative Thanks In Advance to anyone who can offer any helpful info.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I can't offer any advice, but I will be interested in the answers, since I'm pretty well in the same boat. Fred Harmon's info on using the EC integration unit sold me ... I've avoided Apple like the plague and been very happy with my Zen 60gb jukebox for years.

Any specific reason for going with the Nano? After looking at the units and the prices, I changed my mind and moved from looking at Nanos and bought a 120gb Classic instead. Still incredibly small, but enough storage that I can just load all my music and forget about constant juggling of playlists.

Now I have to work through the hassle of getting the music onto the iPod ... I have some software that does it alright ... but it doesn't show up as music (yet) ...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I don't have my notes with me but here is what I remember (I think)

#1. I believe the "Accelerometer" feature can be disabled.

#2. I don't know about this one.

#3. You can manually add and delete songs. It's in the settings.

#4. EC sends everthing you need to plug and play..

Check out Apple's website. I downloaded a set of instructions (also at the house, not here at work) that will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck,
David

·
Registered
141 Posts
I-Tunes is awesome software

I-Tunes software is very fast compared to anything else I've used. When your Ipod synchs, it will just look at the I-tunes software, so if you don't want it on your ipod, don't put it into your "I-tunes" library.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I-Tunes software is very fast compared to anything else I've used. When your Ipod synchs, it will just look at the I-tunes software, so if you don't want it on your ipod, don't put it into your "I-tunes" library.
Unless, of course, you change your iTunes settings to sync only checked items. Then you have full control over what gets loaded onto your iPod.

iTunes lets you set up all sorts of smart playlists which make managing your library a snap. In order to keep from repeating songs, I off-load recently played tunes, and when I'm ready to load the next batch of tunes, I'll generally select ones with lower play counts.

The point is, iTunes is more than flexible enough to accommodate your listening habits, and your music library.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I don't have my notes with me but here is what I remember (I think)

#1. I believe the "Accelerometer" feature can be disabled.

#2. I don't know about this one.

#3. You can manually add and delete songs. It's in the settings.

#4. EC sends everthing you need to plug and play..

Check out Apple's website. I downloaded a set of instructions (also at the house, not here at work) that will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck,
David

Yep, everything David said and as far as Q2, all iPods will play MP3's. They do not have to be .aac.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied !

OrangeCrush, the reason I got interested in iPod over my MP3 players is because I was not able to find any MP3 player model which anyone made an RF (Radio Frequency) remote-control unit for 'em. They were all line-of-sight IR (Infrared) remotes instead, and IR remotes are useless if the player is inside the fairing pockets or the rear trunk. Then I found out about the RF remote by iJet for the iPods, so that's what got me thining about the Nano.

I didn't want to go to a higher GB capacity because I want an internal-card-based memory rather than a hard drive iPod. Vibration is inevitably a "killer" to any hard drive unit, sooner or later, and if 8GB to 16GB worth of storage (reportedly, 2000 to 4000 songs in the highly compressed iPod "aac" file format) isn't enough, then I should just turn the audo off and listen to "In The The Wind" instead, LOL.

Back when I got my 1st GW in 2001, high-capacity MP3 & iPod players weren't as prevalent as they are nowadays, and the high-capacity of DumbA** in my Cranial Vault must have been tremendous . . . because I actually sprung for Mother Honda's ridiculous cost of the OEM 6-disc CD changer. And wouldn't ya know it, that earlier-model-edition OEM CD changer crapped out on Day 2 of that bike's first coast-to-coast, X-country, 2-1/2 week, 7800-mile Fun Run Trip. "Happy Camper, Not".

The CD changer in my '03 GW lasted about 56,000 before it went belly-up and that fully converted me to the MP3 Faith, LOL. If I was a "just let it shuffle-play" type I'd be perfectly happy with my MP3 player - it's just that there seems to be so many more accessories available for the iPods.

I CAN lend a lot of credence to what Fred H has been saying about the audio quality being better when hooked up via the CD changer input as opposed to the
AUX input.

On both prior GWs I noticed that volume output for both the OEM radio bands and the AUX circuit was appreciably lower than the output volume from the CD Changer circuit. Fred H's info seems to infer that the same is true even despite the "upgraded premium audio" component & speakers in current-and recent-model-year GWs.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the EC CD changer harness hookup route because I'd prefer to keep handlebar and instrument panel cluster clutter to a minimum, often have the fairing pockets chock-full of other stuff, so I'd prefer to keep the Nano stored in the trunk instead. Much more weatherproof, can be more vibration-insulated, always powered and recharging by the bike's system, outa sight outa mind, and thereby leaving the 12V power accessory sockets and audio AUX circuit free for other-usage applications. No need of batteries for a separate remote, and I'll have at least some basic integration via the CD circut handlebar controls.

I don't care all that much that the bikes info screen won't be displaying song title or album-playlist names. I'm interested in what I hear, not what the display screen is showin' my eyeballs. I know all the song titles "by ear" anyway & usually put my most-fav song of any categorical music genre as first song in a categorical Playlist, so the lack of full info-display is "no issue" to me.

Thanks again to all for all the Answers & info.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I didn't want to go to a higher GB capacity because I want an internal-card-based memory rather than a hard drive iPod. Vibration is inevitably a "killer" to any hard drive unit, sooner or later, and if 8GB to 16GB worth of storage (reportedly, 2000 to 4000 songs in the highly compressed iPod "aac" file format) isn't enough, then I should just turn the audo off and listen to "In The The Wind" instead, LOL.
I've heard some of the horror stories about hard drive failures as well, but have been using my 60gb Zen on the Wing, on my yard tractor and on the big tractor for almost 6 years now with never a signgle problem.

I opted for the Classic iPod rather than the Nano 'cause it was not much more, and could be used for moving a lot of data around if necessary. I'm not sure if it is actually hard drive based ... if so that's a da**ed tiny 120gb hard drive!! But, since it'll be housed in the trunk, and will be padded (somehow), I'm not anticipating any hard drive vibration issues.

Thanks for your feedback!!

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I have a nano. Have 194 songs, using 845 mb, almost 15 hours of music on a 6 gig system. I grow my list weekly. Think I will be 99 years old before I fill my nano.

I hook it up in the left box, hit play and ride ride ride. Lasts me all day and only use 1/2 of battery. I have it laying in a wash cloth just to protect it. When I want, I hook it up to my pc at home and recharge it for my next use.

This contraption is the best thing since slice bread...:lol:

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Question # 1: Can this feature be Enabled / Disabled? If not capable of being disabled, I'm wondering if "shaking" the Nano (on rough roads, etc.) will cause UNDESIRED music-track-shuffling? Any users experiencing any such problems?

YES, can be changed.

Question # 2: Can the 4th Gen. Nano play my MP3 songs "as is", or is it mandatory that I firstly convert all my MP3 songs to the native iPod "AAC" file format?

YES, can put in MP3 songs.

Question # 3: when I am adding additional songs to the Nano unit, is it a MUST that I use the iTunes software? T

It goes directly to Itunes library as far as I know. It is up to you to move it from the main "music" folder to what ever folder you want to move it to I believe.

Last Question: (and apologies for being so wordy) - if anyone knows - if the EC adapter harness is used for integration of Nano via the CD Changer circuit - does the EC harness plug directly into the Nano, or does it have to be plugged into some kind of "docking unit" that comes with the Nano?

I don't have a EC and really don't want to pay $$$ for one, so I can not answer this one.

On a side note. I had a friend give me her's while she was in town to charge up. I ended up screwing her IPOD up since her's was not registered on my Itunes as mine. She had to wait to get home to reset her IPOD.

quote]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts