GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It's been a while since ive been on here. Since i dont get to ride I try not to read much (miss riding)
Im up in Alaska on a one year isolated tour and I am almost done!!!!
Its been so long, i think i might have forgot how to ride.
I'll be stationed in the San Fran area when I get back and wonder if there is a lot of Goldwingers out that way.
I miss Florida and miss the ease of buying Hals products down the road from the store.
Anyone want to ride I'll be up for it in December/January!!!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Welcome back !!! That looks like isolation in the tenth degree !!!

You did NOT for get how to ride

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
So you spent nearly a year on the beaches of Alaska looking for metal objects people dropped. Better ways to make a living. You'll probably do better in San Fran.

Hurry up and get back to civilization and the world of Wings, there'll be people you can ride with.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
There are lots of Goldwing riders in the Bay area.....they just ride out of the Bay area traffic! Lots of GREAT riding in Northern California.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ray, that looks like an old WW II bunker you're standing on. Which of the islands are you stationed on. Could be Shemya or Adak, or even on the Kenai peninusla near Cold Harbor. When stationed on Kodiak, I used to love to explore those old sites and actually found a cache of rations in one of the gun bunkers once. The old C-rations were still edible (especially liked the lima beans and ham), but the old Camel cigarettes were really rough, being some 20 years old at the time.

I remember how glad I was to get back to the lower 48 - traffic signals, single girls and bottled coke!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hey man, take it easy and get back here unscathed... Then ride, ride, ride,......................................

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use to go TDY up to Shemya AK, now your talking remote. That bunker should have alot of metal around. Don't know how far you are from Shemya but we could see the end of the world from where we stood. Thanks for serving! : )

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a WWII lookout bunker here on St. Paul Island. My other shipmates are on Attu and Port Clarence. At least we have a small village and a post office here (no lines).

That was my first and last time Metal detecting here. There is so much metal and brass cartridges here its impossible to find anything. Wanted to try it and will probably pursue it when i get back. It breaks down and ill put it on the wing and go huntin'

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well congrats short timer. We all wish you well for your last days up there in the alaskan wilderness. :D

Be safe, i am sure that I and many others will be around when you get back.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I sorta forgot about you,I remember when you were getting ready to depart.
I spent my summer a few hundred miles from you in King Cove.I know enough people that have been to St Paul that I know I really don't need to go there!.

I'm in western Washington,about 900 miles north of San Francisco.If you get up this way,I know a few good roads,c'mon up!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dude - Sorry to hear about your isolation but just a couple of weeks ago we received a link about three guys taking a 9 hour day-long ride up in Alaska on a GL-1800 and two other smaller bikes, temps +15 to -15 deg F. Whats-a-matter-you? No cahones? (blue, brass, nickel plated)? :shock:

Yeah, I know. Sometimes it is tough to justify bringing your Wing along with you to some of the more "rural" areas. :wink: Take it slow when you get back on the bike and work up to your "normal" pace. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
rayray3 said:
Well It's been a while since ive been on here. Since i dont get to ride I try not to read much (miss riding)
Im up in Alaska on a one year isolated tour and I am almost done!!!!
Its been so long, i think i might have forgot how to ride.
I'll be stationed in the San Fran area when I get back and wonder if there is a lot of Goldwingers out that way.
I miss Florida and miss the ease of buying Hals products down the road from the store.
Anyone want to ride I'll be up for it in December/January!!!
Hey Ray, the CO just called me and asked me to tell you that you did such a good job protecting us, you'll have to stay another year or two. :D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
Dude - Sorry to hear about your isolation but just a couple of weeks ago we received a link about three guys taking a 9 hour day-long ride up in Alaska on a GL-1800 and two other smaller bikes, temps +15 to -15 deg F. Whats-a-matter-you? No cahones? (blue, brass, nickel plated)? :shock:

Yeah, I know. Sometimes it is tough to justify bringing your Wing along with you to some of the more "rural" areas. :wink: Take it slow when you get back on the bike and work up to your "normal" pace. Good luck.
I doubt he has more than a few miles of road where he is it,and it's probably not even paved.
Where I go we have about 20 miles of road,and only about 6 of that is paved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts