GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding Gold Wings sence 1975. I have owned ever model 1000 thur 1800 some models more than 1. So i guess i can form a pretty good report on the 2012 GL1800.
Today our fried pie gang went for a ride and lunch. All back roads up thur Va Ky and N/E Tn. We rode curves twisties and switchbacks plus we were lost once on a coal truck road that turned rock and dirt. We were just following our leader(BOXMAKER). But all turn out well and we had a great time and meal. Dont know if it was lunch or dinner do we Tn Charlie!
Any way back to the 2012 wing the suspenion was great. Really smoothed out the RR crossing rough coal truck roads bridges that dont match the road. And yes on the rock/dirt road never bottomed out. And let me tell you about the seat. Best i have ever ridden on no moving around or standing up nothing just set there and enjoyed the ride. Only thing that i would have to do to be completely comfortable would install Mickopegs and Reg Risers. Also there a lot less wind for the rider dont know about the passenger as i was riding single. Any way sure made wish i had waited and got a12 instead of my 10.

PS Thanks to the fried gang Boxmaker Okiefjr Tn Charlie& Yardart and our BMW buddy Ron

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I told you that 2012 was a keeper,:thumbup:

See you in a few weeks,:lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I do like the tu tone paint. And the rest is growing on me.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wimp, you have not wore out the one you have yet, why are you riding a New One? Wonder if the seat will fit on your old 10'??? LOL Your Old Butt just got to touch something Soft and you liked it!! Haaaaaaaaaa!!
Rick it was not mine it was one i put a CB in. He told me to ride it so i did. Had a littlle over 900 miles on it when he dropped it off now has a little over 1400:thumbup: Took me a while to get it cleaned back up from the Ky coal truck roads.
The seat is not really soft it just fits good. When coming down some of the steep switchbacks in does not try to scoot you foward.

PS Theres no way anybody is going to make me believe the only diff in front forks is thicker oil:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
wimpyhonda,
great report..thanks.
(did the CB work?)

I respect experience,
especially yours.

I see you're shopping for centramatics..
..I'm really looking forward to your report about them.

thanks again,
Dennis

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dennis
Your name was brought a frw times yesterday:thumbup: You sure missed some great riding.
The CB listened good and they said it talked good also.
Yes i have a set of centramatics coming from a board member. I will let you know what i think. These things have been used on big over the road trucks for years.
Hope to see you soon:coffee1::coffee1:

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Was that KY 904? I took it last year and it turned gravel on me at the tipple. Rode it a few miles thinking it would go back to blacktop. Back-tracked and later learned I was only about a mile from the blacktop when I turned around. Now on the CT, I'd probably go the whole way! Coal roads are bad for bikes, but great for local economies!

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pid it was 2001 off of 221 i think.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick those things have been around for a long time. You never know til you try. I have found out over the years you can miss out on some good things by wearing blinders.:thumbup: You are right the older you get the less you have to prove to any body:lol::lol::lol:

PS When are you coming back out this way?

·
Registered
939 Posts
How does one become a member of that fried pie gang?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I do like the tu tone paint. And the rest is growing on me.
Me too! But, I'll hold on to my 2010 for awhile. Unless, a real sweet deal comes my way.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suspect it will help if you offer to bring some fried pies.
Or take us where they make some good ones:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
...it's not a fried pie but will this get my foot in the door?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's party. But bikes are probably like tires. Great when first out of the box. Nothing against the '12 but unfortunately the truth will only come out after several years of riding. The bottom line is, if you like your ride that is all that matters.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
WH...............glad you enjoyed the ride! What color you plan on getting?:p

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm OK with the 2012 and think anyone who is ready for a new bike will certainly enjoy that one. The problem as I see it is the additional cost in upgrading the bike with the options that we all seem to feel are absolutely necessary to enjoy the ride. Another notion is these bikes are so well made, it takes many years of riding before anything starts to fail. My 08 is covered for 6 years so I will probably keep it for a couple of more and then decide. At any rate, like the bike and like the new paint jobs. Can remember all the initial negative comments regarding the 2012 which seems to have disappeared.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts