GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked with the dealer and they want $205 for it. Manuel has a few inspections and a oil/filter chg. Seems high $. I ask if could do it myself and the kid said fine unless something on the bike breaks then you need to proof who did inspections. My big ? is were is the crankcase breather
and how is it accessed for inspection. How do I document service so it would please mother Honda ?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I just paid $191 for the 8,000 mile service. And that included servicing the trike portion also! :popcorn: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
You can do it yourself, just keep the receipt for the oil & filter, write the date and mileage on it, The crankcase breather is under the left side lower head cover towards the front. , (where the spark plugs are). The dealers cannot make you bring the bike in for service to keep you warranty good.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
You can do it yourself, just keep the receipt for the oil & filter, write the date and mileage on it, The crankcase breather is under the left side lower head cover towards the front. , (where the spark plugs are). The dealers cannot make you bring the bike in for service to keep you warranty good.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm
What he said.
Do it yourself. It is nothing but an oil change. You'll save a minimum of $150 depending on how fancy you get with the oil and filter.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If you are comfortable that your dealer will indeed full fill the required checks, I would have the 4,000 mile service done by the dealer with the following exceptions:
1. Do your own oil/filer change-dealer price for this is a rip-off, IMHO
2. Settle on an agreeable price for doing all the other checks and fastener torque checks.
Having said all that- if you are comfortable doing these items yourself, do so and document your findings.
After many years, I still am not acquainted w/anyone whom has had to show evidence of having done the scheduled maintenances to have a warranty claim approved:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Long ride, but I will do it for free. I use slick oil. Any ole slick kind will do.

Dealers have to support the business, the overhead, the insurance, the wages, the workers comp, this and that.

But that not a fair price for an oil change.

$49. 95 plus material would be fair. That would be about just under a 100 bucks if synthetic oil is used.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Long ride, but I will do it for free. I use slick oil. Any ole slick kind will do.

Dealers have to support the business, the overhead, the insurance, the wages, the workers comp, this and that.

But that not a fair price for an oil change.

$49. 95 plus material would be fair. That would be about just under a 100 bucks if synthetic oil is used.
:agree:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I keep a log of my service on the bike, and receipts to back it up.
Fortunately, I have never had to take it in for any warranty work.

Some folks just are not comfortable doing their own work, but if you do,
It is well worth the $100.00 or so, to buy the Factory Manual. A one time expense, and it will give you all the info on keeping the bike serviced yourself.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
What he said.
Do it yourself. It is nothing but an oil change. You'll save a minimum of $150 depending on how fancy you get with the oil and filter.
It's not supposed to be nothing but an oil change. It's supposed to be a thorough checkout of bike after it's been on the road for a while to make sure everything is right by someone who knows what they are doing. And, no offense to the OP, but if you don't know where the crankcase breather is, how would you know other things to look for and watch for?

I'd seriously recommend Fred Harmon's DVDs. Even if you don't do all your own work, you'll get a damn good education on what it takes to do certain maintenance and it will help when you bring it in to a TRUSTED dealer - you'll know what they are talking about and you'll know some questions to ask.

You want to be safe and minimize your chances of breaking down on the side of the road or worse. There are some things I do and some things I have my dealer do. I look at it like a partnership. Yes, it costs a little more but it's money well spent in my opinion.

P.S. At least the dealer didn't try to scam you with the 600 mile oil change BS. ;)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
And make sure you * DO NOT * change your rear-end oil prematurely; wait until the specified mileage. The factory OEM fill contains heavy moly content that should stay in the rear-end until the recommended interval!

You should check the level however, as the factory is notorious for "short filling" the rear drive.

Having said all that, I paid my dealer $125. for my 4k service, including full-synth engine oil and topping-off the rear-end. :thumbup:

What he said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts