GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this guy is going back and forth from Salt Lake city to Battlemountain NV (300 miles each way)

I just got this email from the IBA:

Steve Diederich, the first rider to complete the CCCCCC Insanity - that is Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast in less than 250 hours - has gone and done it again by setting a new record riding 32 days straight with 32,022 (corrected) miles!

With that record in the books, he is continuing on hoping to make it to 40,000 in 40 days. Keeps in mind, things like breakdowns and tire changes don't stop the ever ticking clock. And change tires he must. Steve is burning a set of Dunlop tires every 7 to 8 days (they don't last long running 17 hour days at interstate speeds in the warm western USA weather).

Still in great spirits, Steve is hoping to make the 40/40 a possibility. You might want to check in on him this week at:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=182c75abc1586b685c

Today (May 9, 2018) is Day 35 and he hopes to be at 35,000+ tonight.

Steve changed tires on Sunday morning May 6th, so he is probably going to need another set which means working in at least a 3 hour pit stop into this weeks ride schedule.

For those on Facebook, Steve posts a couple of times a day at:

http://www.facebook.com/events/2084051074941812

and we will post an update here later this week.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am not on Facebook, so if someone can see the comments and post it would be interesting to see what is going on..........

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not really a whole lot there, aside from photos of gas receipts and his odometer. To each his own I guess, but riding 17 hrs a day on the same route, day after day after day, is just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Pretty cool I say. If you love to ride, and have the time/money to do it, it's impressive. I like any long distance type rides and reading about them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The IBA is not my thing. I work too hard and when I ride I want to enjoy myself. Most trips I limit myself to 350-400 miles per day, if possible. Those types of rides appear to be too related to working for my taste, but I do congratulate him for his accomplishments. Not everyone has the endurance to do such things.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Quite an accomplishment. Obviously he's getting joy / satisfaction from the challenge of doing the miles rather than it being about the ride itself.

The ride itself would have to get pretty boring....but that's probably part of the challenge.

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just can't wrap head around this. Geez, what's the point? Each to their own and while I do admire the guy, it is truly not something I would ever attempt. Can you imagine the toll on your body? Oh well, whatever trips your trigger.:shrug:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
To each his/her own! For me, I don't see the logic in it.
I see the logic but I don't share the desire to do it. The logic is that you get to be the one guy in all of history to do it.

The record will stand for a while and people that didn't know who he was, like us, will talk about it.

This isn't about the ride itself at all, this is about being the only one to complete something this hard.

BTW....not saying at all that I'd personally be interested in doing it. Sounds like an incredibly boring waste of time to me that would be 40 days of extreme wear, tear and fatigue on my body. But to people that are wired that way, it's a challenge that they live for.

·
Administrator
4,851 Posts
I see the logic but I don't share the desire to do it. The logic is that you get to be the one guy in all of history to do it.

The record will stand for a while and people that didn't know who he was, like us, will talk about it.

BTW....not saying at all that I'd personally be interested in doing it. Sounds like an incredibly boring waste of time to me that would be 40 days of extreme wear, tear and fatigue on my body. But to people that are wired that way, it's a challenge that they live for.

What he said!!

I sort of enjoy IBA rides. I've done quite a few, and hopefully will do a few more. I used say that the Iron Butt rides kept me young, but that ship has already sailed. I know I could never do the multi-day rides like this one though. That takes more mental toughness than I possess. I understand why he does it and I wish him success.

Glen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why stop there, how about 50 in 50, 75 in 75, 100 in 100, or the All time challenge 365k in 1 year?.... lol
Ok seriously I have done the 1000 in 24hours & 1500 in 36 hours on my bike & even drove 1500 of 2000 in 35 hour in a van pulling a trailer, but weeks on end of 1000mi a day would be extremely rough.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,740 Posts
Well,
I for one, most certainly won't chastise this fella. It's apparently something he's intent on doing. I gotta give it to him for pushing himself and the bike, that hard and that long. I couldn't do that if I was paid to. It's everything I can do to be on the bike for a measly 5 hours, from here at home in Lake Havasu City AZ to see the kids and the wifes mom in San Diego, a measly 287 miles. THEN I have to return the trip a couple of days later. It takes me a week to recoup from that. Oh well, this boy's got a plan and, he's apparently sticking to it. Good luck for him. I hope he makes it to his goal safely with all the numbnuts on the road these days.
Scott

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you check his spotwalla tracker he has been riding around the country a bit, not just back and forth. I have to hand it to him and others that are able to do this kind of record breaking ride. The record holder of the 30 in 30 ride says he still had to mow his half acre lawn three times in that month, change his own tires three times and six oil changes... life goes on.

I have done a bunch of long rides on my yearly trips from Alaska to the lower 48. Some were 1000+ but they were never planned and documented, usually just missing family and did not want to stop.
I have always wanted to do IBA rides and had planned on jumping in hook line and sinker when I retired at 62 but a few months short of retiring I got diagnosed with cancer and ended up doing two years of chemo. That kinda took the wind out of my sails. I retired after finishing up the treatment and have done one IBA Great Lakes ride last summer and am planning on another one this summer. I wish I had the stamina for multiple days but i just don't so I do my rides and sleep for a day... :)

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I certainly am impressed!!! I did look at the 1 month view of his Spotwalla travels, and he even threw a flight in to Russia from Oklahoma City. I suspect it's a lot like going to the moon. A lot of boredom thrown in with a few moments of sheer terror! I would like to remind everyone that many other motorcycle riders believe riding a rolling sofa couch is pretty boring. Carry on Steve!

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I didnt know you could pull up a one month map until you guys mentioned this! Looks like he is just hanging out in the western usa other than Indiana?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.