GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike (06 Goldwing) just went in for it's 52K check up and inspection. Replaced the Toyo 195/55/R16 with a Conti run flat 195/55/R16. I put the Toyo on a 12K. If you search back far enough (2 yrs) you'll see when I first put it on. The tread was well into the wear bars, but I wanted an even 40K out of it before I yanked it off.

Interesting, as I rode home in the rain last night from the garage with the new Conti run flat tire I noticed the run flat rides different than the toyo, more like a MT than car tire, didn't move around with the ruts in the road. There was also some double pavement in my lane and I kept crossing it to see if I could trigger something, but the bike just didn't react, very cool. Do have a concern though. With the Toyo, the bike wants to stand up and made it easy to handle when coming to a stop, much more stable, now I'm concerned the Conti will be tipsy prone like a MT. 180lbs vs almost 1,000lbs isn't a real fair fight. I have not had the bike go over once with the CT, but it did at least a half dozen times with the MT. The slightest incline and as soon as you went to put your foot down, over she went. I guess I'll find out over the next couple weeks if it is tipsy prone again.

Warning to 06 Goldwings - a 205/60/R16 will not fit. I purchased a General and had it installed, took two folks to get it back on the bike and it was pegged up against the swing arm, rubbed very badly, couldn't even roll the bike, they let air out of also, still unmoveable. So off it came and on went the Conti 195/55/r16. There is only about a 1/4 inch clearance with the 195/55/r16 and with the fender tied back. So not sure who is actually running the 205/60's, what year and are they goldwings or VTX's

Has anyone run a 195/60/r16, or are there even any available? If so, what bike, year etc.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
"I have not had the bike go over once with the CT, but it did at least a half dozen times with the MT. The slightest incline and as soon as you went to put your foot down, over she went. I guess I'll find out over the next couple weeks if it is tipsy prone again."

Dude, you either need a trike or longer legs!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts