GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our Southern Friends who do not understand real cold..........You can set a pail of Ice Cream out on the porch and at 20 below it will be so hard you cannot sink a spoon in it. at minus 46, forget it.

Goldwings remain covered. eh

·
Vendor
21,560 Posts
I can't even imagine temperatures that cold. How can you even keep your house warm inside when it is that cold out?

I'll try to get out and ride a few miles for you this weekend. It's only going to get up into the low 60's on Saturday, but I can turn up the heated seats and put on all my electric gear and just go for it.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Keeping the house warm is very easy, Our furnances never shut off in this weather! lol

Modern building codes require 6" thick insulated walls. Highly insulated attics to. Helps. but heating bills are still out of this world

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been watching that weather. My 2 granddaughters live in bismarck and I think about those poor little girls in that weather. They are originally from here in southwest louisiana. Thats quite an adjustment. I rode to work today and it was 34. big stinkin deal its like a heat wave for them.:eek:4:

·
Love The DCT
11,445 Posts
I can't even imagine temperatures that cold. How can you even keep your house warm inside when it is that cold out?

I'll try to get out and ride a few miles for you this weekend. It's only going to get up into the low 60's on Saturday, but I can turn up the heated seats and put on all my electric gear and just go for it.
My gas fired furnace kicks in about every 15 minutes in those kind of temps, Fred.

·
Love The DCT
11,445 Posts
For our Southern Friends who do not understand real cold..........You can set a pail of Ice Cream out on the porch and at 20 below it will be so hard you cannot sink a spoon in it. at minus 46, forget it.

A cup of boiling water thrown into the air in these temps also instantaneously freezes into a shower of ice crystals. Kinda a fun thing to do when it's this cold. Tonight the local TV weatherman used a banana, apple, cucumber, and a tomato that had been left out in this extreme cold to drive a nail into a piece of wood. Actually we are in a heat wave now. It was only -16 below at 6 PM. In the AM, it is expected to be a -25 with -50 below wind chills

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We are a balmy -5 here in Michigan the last couple of nights.

At 10 above I start using electric space heaters to supplement the furnace. This month should see a $300 gas bill.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I've lived in the South all my life... the coldest air I've ever been in is -5. For those of you who are use to colder air... I have a few questions....

How do you store a bike under such extreme temps? How do you keep the coolant from freezing? Do you have to drain the bike for winter?

How do you keep your car's coolant from freezing? Do you use a different mixture of antifreeze than we do in the South?

What special things do you have to do to the car, house, etc to survive such temps?

·
Registered
161 Posts
50/50 mix of antifreeze and coolant will remain liquid down to -30 and become slushy after that. Most park vehicles in garage or at least out of wind. Many have frost plug heaters (block heater) and will plug in....helps engine to start and also keeps liquid from freezing. We have also done the trick with kids soap bubles and froze them. Shatter in the cold air. Our furnace runs a lot and we do have lots of insulation. 6" fiberglass in the walls 12-18" of blow in in the ceiling and we have inert gas filled double pane windows. Helps a lot. Wing is covered and tucked in ... in the garage trying to hibernate like the rest of us. At least we don't have your 100+ days in the summer!:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

We don't waste ice cream by sitting it out side, we eat it in front of the fire place when it is cold outside.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
.. I have a few questions....

How do you store a bike under such extreme temps? How do you keep the coolant from freezing? Do you have to drain the bike for winter?

How do you keep your car's coolant from freezing? Do you use a different mixture of antifreeze than we do in the South?

What special things do you have to do to the car, house, etc to survive such temps?
Good quality anti freeze mixed at a 1:1 ratio gives freezing protection to about -36.0c. Up north we would mix it to 60% antifreeze and 40% distilled water which gives a -62.0 c freezing point.
Honda's pre mix antifreeze is good till -36.6 C.
To help start the vehicles it is always good to 'plug them in". ie: make use of the electric block heater. Or it is popular to have the remote start to actually start the vehicle and let it run, for a programmed period of time whenever the ambient temperature reaches a predetermined point.
I recall when my father would drain the warm oil from the tractor after he shut it off, and bring the oil into the house for the night, same with the battery. Then in the morning put in the battery and pour the warm oil back into the motor so it would start.
Nothing especially special has to be done to your house, as winter seems to be an annual event, and you know it will get cold. You also need to make sure that the water heaters for the livestock are working, otherwise you have to chop a hole through the ice so the livestock can drink, to stay warm. (Yes the water helps them stay warm ( + 33.f water is warm when the ambient temperature is anything below that).
Other than that just dress appropriately when you go out.
Our grand parents had a lot less modern convieniences than we did and they survived.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag: It will be in the 60's saturday, think i will ride to the local honda dealership and get a free hotdog and frito chili pie. :p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey Fred, hows the bike running with all the new things you've added? You are definately a pioneer when it comes to the Goldwing. How many miles did you have on it before you tore into it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
And we are setting record high temps here. Today it was around 77*. I really feel for those of you that live where it is so cold. The coldest that I have been is is -40*F with the wind chill.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Their is absolutely nothing in this world that could entice me to live in a place with temps that low. :wrong:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
My parents moved from the border of North Dakota and Minnesota (Grand Forks/ East Grand Forks) when I was 4 to the west coast and I was always thankful especially when other family back there let us know how incredibly freezing cold it was many winters. Seems so ironic that much of the north and east coast is so frozen and we here on the west coast are breaking historic temperature records this past couple of weeks by more than 10 + degrees. We could use some much needed rain though.

Stay warm up there.

DaleC

·
Registered
294 Posts
My son moved to Dickinson in the spring. A few days ago my Daughter inlaw called to just let me know buggers freeze at -24. I guess she was shoveling the driveway so she could get the kids to school.

I love California.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts