GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running for a 5 wire bike to a 4 wire trailer wiring converter . I have tried a couple of different Hopkins bands with no luck . I called the tech hot line and they do make one I have not tried yet. But looking for what the rest of ya run . I am working on 2 different bikes . One with isolator and one without as he runs LEDS .

Please give me brand and model numbers , thanks in advance.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hopkins 48895 Incandescent/LED Taillight Converter
If you have LED lights on your trailer you will need this converter.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly it's not that easy , but I think a couple will work . For LEDS it's way easier . But I found out regular bulbs take more power than some cheap adaptors can handle . They work for a short time than die . After I long discussion with Hopkins I understand what's going in now . Thanks as I will be ordering one soon from eBay .

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Rail, I'm familiar with Jim's situation. Please let us know which converter works for future reference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had these same frustrations -- wanting something isolated and rugged that could handle LEDs (and/or incandescent). Tried a few combinations of bike harness with add-on 5-to-4 converters -- too damned expensive to experiment much.

I ended-up just building one out... SPDT 12V relays that'll switch 10A can be had for around a buck... I added flyback diodes to each coil and supression caps at the contacts then potted it in epoxy, but here's the general idea (IIRC, the bike harness colors are accurate for the GL1500 that I'd originally built this for):

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Natas :thumbup:
I may resort to doing that . Time is my enemy but I may have to .

·
Registered
921 Posts
I use the HOPKINS and have had no trouble now for 8 years, It works great for me..

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the HOPKINS and have had no trouble now for 8 years, It works great for me..
Do you know which model number ? I was told from them to try 2 different ones and misplaced numbers . I may have to call them again .

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do you know which model number ? I was told from them to try 2 different ones and misplaced numbers . I may have to call them again .
will take a look when it quits raining. I have to pull the over off to find out, I put it on too long ago to remember which one I used.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Its a 48895..

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a 48895..
I will check this numbers I received from them and compare them to what I know I have problems with . Once again your a great help to me . Thanks a million. :thumbup:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I will check this numbers I received from them and compare them to what I know I have problems with . Once again your a great help to me . Thanks a million. :thumbup:
No Problem Anytime..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts