GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Well..........I tried with no luck...twice, to repair the sensor for the rear tire. Don't know what happened this time but it appears I'll be shelling out some bucks for a new sensor. Bummer.
Now I just have to find where I can buy another one.
:frown2:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I realize they no longer manufacture TMPS for Motorcycles but SmarTire made an excellent system. The battery drain for the sensors went dormant after being stationary for a short time. It came on almost immediately after riding a short distance (so you can't read your pressure before you start rolling). You can get pressure and tire internal temperature. Pressure is adjusted for temperature. Set points that when exceeded a warning light comes on. Now, for me, the big thing is I have had these sensors on my wing for almost 9 years. The tire shop just broke one, a few weeks ago. I had bought an extra system a couple years ago, so I gave them one of those sensors. Works fine.

So why am I telling you this if the manufacturer doesn't sell the system anymore. There is a guy on ebay selling the entire system for $80 including shipping. I snapped one up to replace the one sensor I just used. If they last anywhere near as long as the first set, I may never use them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bgblk06, Great write up and a huge help. Many thanks.

An idea: I wish to mount my sensors internally to avoid theft. That make battery replacement a pain. I therefore am wondering about remoting the battery externally. So, open the sensor and remove the battery as you have donesolder wires on to it fed through the endcap with all resealed as you describe. Attach the sensor to the inside valve stem supplied and run the wires through it. T junction adaptation on the external side (wires through one, normal valve in other for air top up etc). Buy donor battery replaceable sensor for the outside (bin internal electronics but wire up the battery, ensuring pressure integrity...hmmm may need careful consideration/ investigation).

Voila, best of both worlds. Easy battery replacement. Theft safe (bar merely the battery).

Obviously if there are other ways to house an external battery without needing a donor cap that would help keep costs down. Ideas anyone?

Regards Mallow1

·
Registered
3 Posts
1, they need diierential pressure to operate. 2, why risk screwing one up for security? Spend your money on a security system with remote notification andpark in more secure areas.
Hi Pidjones,

Hurrah this thread is still alive! Thanks for your reply.

1) Yep diff pressure needed. Others seem to have cracked them open and resealed successfully. So long as exiting wires likewise sealed to maintain this ought not to be a prob.

2) why risk it? Well I've had external sensors stolen in the past (even from where I live). When new internal sensor dies in 18 months there's no downside. It's dead and needs replacing at $50. Crack it, dead bat out, solder wires, reseal. Test as external sensor first. F'd up, rework it or junk idea. If ok, build external bat side (cheap chinese copy sensor with replaceable battery for $10 from fleebay; junk the pcb, keep the battery elements to host wire connection). Test, fit and retest.

Only downside seems time and minimal materials/ cost. Upside, secure sensor with easy future bat replacement and huge cost saving ($4 cost v $100 every 12-18 months). Simples, no?

For extra slothfulness add T-valve adapter ($10 fleebay) and a higher mAh rated battery to double or triple lifespan. Prob need wheel rebalance if fully loaded like this.

All in, first set up would still save ~$30 for the pair. Thereafter ~$90 per set per recharge. Anyway, I'm bored and a geek enough to try it. Wish me luck?

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Doran and would not buy again. Cannot replace the battery and they only last a little over a year. If this thing had replaceable batteries it would be golden.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I've bought a Doran 360M. Wish me luck for the next 12-18 months before the batteries die and I try my madcap scheme to remove the power to replaceable source.

In the meantime if anyone has any dead ones they are throwing away and feel inclined to help by donating them to me for prototyping sooner, PM me.

Regards Mallow1

·
Registered
619 Posts
Doran sensor update

I spoke with Doran the last week in March 2019, and they no longer sell replacement sensors. The problem is the internal pressure detector (a surface mount device) which has been discontinued by its manufacturer several years ago. Lack of batteries is Not the issue.
So, follow the instructions of this original post on battery replacement.
Thank you BGBLK06!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Doran sensors

I spoke with Doran the last week in March 2019, and they no longer sell replacement sensors. The problem is the internal pressure detector (a surface mount device) which has been discontinued by its manufacturer several years ago. Lack of batteries is Not the issue.
So, follow the instructions of this original post on battery replacement.
Thank you BGBLK06!
PM sent

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I sent a pm to the individal and his father. I am trying to locate BGBLK06 who started this post to see if he will do my Doran sensors for money of course.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hello guys.
Sorry for the late reply.
I'm not on the forums nearly as much as i used to be, and I'm headed home on a ride with my parents from Nova Scotia back to Ohio.
It stinks to hear that Doran has basically left us high and dry without replacement sensors.
I would rather not start rebuilding sensors other than mine, though. I think that would only start to snowball now that they are no longer available...

If anyone has dead ones that they would put in an envelope and mail to me, though, if be happy to pay you for your effort.
It's only a matter of time before I'll need sensors too. The batteries can only be replaced so many times...

PM me if anyone has old sensors they would like to sell.

Thanks guys !

Kurt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your experimenting and coming up with this solution. I love the Doran system especially since it has a RED light warning. I have saved this to a Powerpoint and will do mine over winter of 2020. I'll let you know how it goes!
Thanks again!
Mako
[email protected]

41 - 54 of 54 Posts