GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Bushtec hitch, the Add-on isolator and an Add-on 5 into 4 adapter.

It all works well with the exception that when the brake is on, the signal light does not flash on the trailer.

Is this normal? I would think that it would be safer for vehicles behind you to see that you were signaling a turn.

Anyone know if this is a fault with the isolator or the adapter? I'm thinking it is the 5 into 4 adapter but hopefully someone has some experience with them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The 5 to 4 converters I use when I build the harnesses I sell to Yamaha owners allow the turns to flash when the brakes are applied. That is the best way, I also sell to Venture riders a light bar that I configure with a simple diode pack to turn it into to a run/brake/turn light bar, on that light bar the brakes cancel the turns (on the light bar) when the brakes are applied. The issue on my home made configuration is that when the brakes are applied there is a steady state voltage to the lights, the on / off state that makes the turns blink, is not seen by the light bar because of the rake steady state.

If your Add-on converter does not have some sort of switching logic in it then it will not switch the turns with the brakes applied.

If you can PM me with some specifics on the converter you used I will look at it and try to help a bit more.

On my trailer harnesses I sell to Yamaha folks I use a Curt 56146 Isolator/converter for the times when I need a 5 to 4 converter.

If you are not using an Isolator type converter and your trailer has LEDs you can also use something like a Hopkins #48895, one issue with the Hopkins unit tat has been reported back to me is that it makes the trailer or light bar turns flash at opposite times to the bike, not a big deal but some find it annoying. The Hopkins unit is only good for 2.1 amps, so it may have issues if used with a trailer that has incandescent bulbs.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for all of the information and offer of help, I appreciate it. I was hoping that someone had encountered the same thing and would be able it tell me where the problem was.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Common issue if have LED trailer lights, you need to use Hopkins converter for LEDs.
The above Hopkins LED converter solved many of the same issues your having.
I like everyone else had learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I just installed the Bushtec hitch and isolator. At install I realized need adapter. I called them and said I have a HF tag along needing a flat 4 plug. Was told Ill send you out what you need and now I have the Male end with 6 wires. Should I have gotten an 5 to 4 adapter? He seemed clear about what I was looking top do and after talking to Bushtec it is to replace my trailer plug. Fine as long as I dont pull this with any thing else BUT the bike. So what wires am I to tie together?

I hate adapters inline when I can avoid them. Was it a bad idea to go with the bushtec isolater with a HF tag-allong? I thought I was doing a good thing. If I do graduate to a Bushtec it will be good.
Thanks for any thoughts.
S

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FIXED! Hopkins is not readily available in Canada but Reese products are. I put in the Reese tail light converter #78013 and now it works properly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just installed the Bushtec hitch and isolator. At install I realized need adapter. I called them and said I have a HF tag along needing a flat 4 plug. Was told Ill send you out what you need and now I have the Male end with 6 wires. Should I have gotten an 5 to 4 adapter? He seemed clear about what I was looking top do and after talking to Bushtec it is to replace my trailer plug. Fine as long as I dont pull this with any thing else BUT the bike. So what wires am I to tie together?

I hate adapters inline when I can avoid them. Was it a bad idea to go with the bushtec isolater with a HF tag-allong? I thought I was doing a good thing. If I do graduate to a Bushtec it will be good.
Thanks for any thoughts.
S
If your trailer only has 4 wires, you will need a 5 into 4 converter (also called a 3 into 2 converter). On your Goldwing, your signal lights are separate from your stop lights. On a 4 wire trailer, the signal and stop light are the same light. I just learned the hard way that if your trailer has led lights (I changed mine over) that the converter you put in needs to be made for led lights.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If your trailer only has 4 wires, you will need a 5 into 4 converter (also called a 3 into 2 converter). On your Goldwing, your signal lights are separate from your stop lights. On a 4 wire trailer, the signal and stop light are the same light. I just learned the hard way that if your trailer has led lights (I changed mine over) that the converter you put in needs to be made for led lights.
Yeah there is something about the converter needing a certain amount of current draw o pull up some of the electronics, LEDs do not pull enough current to pull up the circuit. I always use isolator/converters that are good for both led and incandescent just to be covered. I should have thought about that in my first reply. Glad you fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts